Welcome to the Writers & Illustrators of the Future Podcast, dedicated to aspiring writers and artists. It is not just a podcast on writing. Top professionals share tips to writing a book and their secrets to success in all aspects of the business.
Our guest is Jeff Edwards. Jeff served over two decades in the US Navy where he was an Anti-Submarine Warfare Specialist and Chief Petty Officer. He served in multiple American war fronts including the Cold War standoff and the Persian Gulf crisis.
Jeff retired from the military to become a military consultant and novelist—which is where this podcast comes in. He specializes in writing about ordinary men and women working together to do extraordinary things which was something he experienced in his military career. I read his novel Sea of Shadows and became very impressed with his prowess over the military thriller genre.
In his own words, courage isn’t the absence of fear, it’s the determination that some things are more important than fear.
And thus this interview! And if you are not familiar with this author now, you can thank me later.
In this podcast, we cover:
- How Jeff’s career in the US Navy prepared him for his career as an author.
- Today’s fine line between science fiction and science fact.
- Writing about ordinary people doing extraordinary things—and this based on his experience—rather than extraordinary people doing unbelievable extraordinary things—as Hollywood and so many thriller writers do.
- The role of collective heroism, dedication, hard work in storytelling.
- After over two decades working with anti-submarine warfare in the US Navy, being able to define what courage really is.
- How to create riveting action sequences.
Learn more about Jeff Edwards:
The Writers of the Future Podcast is available on:
Subscribe to the Writers of the Future Podcast, where you will meet industry pros, bestselling authors, and winners of the contest. You will learn proven writing tips for beginners and seasoned authors. Always entertaining. Always informative.
Learn more about the contest and anthology:
Enter the Writing Contest
Enter the Illustration Contest
Free Online Writing Workshop
Read Writers of the Future Volume 25 for free
List of L. Ron Hubbard & Writers of the Future books
Writers of the Future Facebook
Writers and Illustrators of the Future are contests created by L. Ron Hubbard to provide a means for the aspiring writer and artist to be seen and acknowledged. It is free to enter and open to amateur short story writers and artists of science fiction or fantasy. There are cash prizes, and the winning stories are published in the annual anthology.
The Writers of the Future books can be purchased wherever books are sold in the US, Canada, the UK, Australia, and South Africa and are available everywhere via Amazon.com.