Wulf Moon's SUPER S...

Notifications
Clear all

Wulf Moon's SUPER SECRETS Workshop & Challenge!

5,256 Posts
133 Users
4328 Likes
879.5 K Views
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

IMG 2941

My three-thousandth post! A new record in the Writers of the Future Forum!

That figure represents my sincere desire to help you achieve your writing dreams. This is the spirit of this contest and this forum—to use our knowledge and experience to help one another. It’s why I created the Super Secrets Workshop and Challenge over four years ago. It’s why I’ve devoted so much of my time to sharing writing principles and tips here. To help!

To your writing futures! 

Cheers!

Wulf Moon

Click here to JOIN THE WULF PACK!
"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : August 1, 2023 12:41 pm
Todd Jones, jadeankh, Laura Holley and 6 people reacted
crlisle
(@crlisle)
Gold Member

Posted by: @wulfmoon
-- attachment is not available --

That figure represents my sincere desire to help you achieve your writing dreams. This is the spirit of this contest and this forum—to use our knowledge and experience to help one another. It’s why I created the Super Secrets Workshop and Challenge over four years ago. It’s why I’ve devoted so much of my time to sharing writing principles and tips here. To help!

To your writing futures! 

Cheers!

Wulf Moon

Wowsa! Thank you so much for your posts! My success as a writer is because of your Super Secrets posts here! You give and give and give. You put me on a rocket ship to success! Party ZOOM!!

Much appreciated! clapper hearts  

Vol. 36: 3rd -- R, 4th -- R
Vol. 37: 1st -- R, 2nd -- HM, 3rd -- HM, 4th -- SHM
Vol. 38: 1st -- HM, 2nd -- HM, 3rd -- HM, 4th -- HM
Vol. 39: 1st -- SHM, 2nd -- RWC, 3rd -- RWC, 4th -- HM
Vol. 40: 1st -- HM, 2nd -- R, 3rd -- RWC, 4th -- R
Vol. 41: 1st - R, 2nd -- pending, 3rd -- WIP

"Never give up! Never surrender!" -- Galaxy Quest

Posted : August 1, 2023 1:32 pm
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Gold Star Member

To your writing futures! 

Cheers!

Wulf Moon

Thank you for sharing so much on this forum! I'm sure I haven't read all 3K posts, but I know I read a lot of them when I read this Super Secrets thread from cover to cover. So much great content in here! I definitely ascribe my rise from enthusiastic amateur to Writers of the Future winner to the Super Secrets.

Pay attention folks: There's GOLD in this thread! But you have to do the work to dig for it (aka: read!!)

Death and the Taxman, my WotF V39 winning story is now a novel available for pre-order! (Click Here >). The Taxman is Coming on Tax Day (Apr 15th) 2024!

Subscribe to The Lost Bard's Letter at www.davidhankins.com and receive an exclusive story!

New Releases:
"Milo Piper's Breakout Single that Ended the Rat War" in LTUE's Troubadours and Space Princesses anthology.
"Felix and the Flamingo" in Escape Pod.
"The Ghosts of Hart's Gambit" in Renaissance Press's There's No Place anthology.
"The Devil's Foot Locker" in Amazing Stories

Posted : August 1, 2023 3:36 pm
Laura Holley, crlisle, Wulf Moon and 3 people reacted
Joel C. Scoberg
(@joel-c-scoberg)
Silver Star Member

To your writing futures! 

Cheers!

Wulf Moon

salute

Wow! What a milestone! I, for one, greatly appreciate all your efforts and imparted wisdom on the forum, I have certainly improved by reading the Super Secrets Thread.

Here's to the next 3,000 posts winking  

R: 2 / HM: 6 / SHM: 2
Published stories:
"Drunk Scentless" - Daily Science Fiction (June 2021)
"Interview with the Vampire Hunter" - Every Day Fiction (October 2021)
"Dutch Courage" - 365tomorrows (August 2022)

Posted : August 2, 2023 12:27 am
crlisle, Wulf Moon, catherine and 1 people reacted
Physa/ Guthington/ Amy
(@physa)
Gold Star Member

Congratulations! I remember the posts you made before your win where you would end your posts with "fortune favors the brave". After your win, you started the super secrets thread [when a lot of winners tend to drop into the background and not post much in the forum]. I regret not accepting the challenge you posted your first 2 or 3 years but was impressed at the successes of those who did. I have benefitted greatly from your forum posts, webinars on writing, and eventually being accepted into your wulfpack and doing your Vol 39 and 40 challenges. I can't wait to get my copy of your latest book! Your teachings [and feedback from forumites and wulfpackers] have helped me attain HMs [4 to date] and have given me the confidence that I can rise higher. salute clapper Arrow Party Cool Smile  

WOTF results:
Vol 41: Q1 HM, Q2 P
running totals to date:
WOTF: 6 Rs, 3 RWCs. 6 HMs
IOTF: 3 Rs, 3 HMs
Check out my new website: https://www.amyrwethingtonwriterofspeculativeworlds.com/
According to Winston Churchill, "success is going from failure to failure with enthusiasm"
Somehow I lost my Guthington profile, but it's me. Amy Wethington = Guthington = Physa

Posted : August 2, 2023 6:48 am
Gene Louviere
(@emlouviere)
Bronze Member

Congratulations, Wulf, on reaching such an amazing landmark. For me personally, your Super Secrets have been valuable in improving my writing.

Thank you for all your contributions to this forum, and to the field of F&SF.

Posted : August 2, 2023 9:16 am
crlisle and Wulf Moon reacted
empressed
(@empressed)
Silver Member

To your writing futures! 

Cheers!

Wulf Moon

Moon, I've entered this contest off and on for over thirty years. Until I met you, my successes were hit and a lot of misses. I've never felt so close to understanding the craft. Thank you!

Victoria Dixon
Author of Mourn Their Courage
a 2010 Sandy Writing Contest Finalist
A Tribble Ate My Lunch: a Star Trek Cookbook (unpublished)
R=24
HM= 8
SHM=4
Finalist=1

Posted : August 2, 2023 10:20 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

@crlisle So happy to have helped, Candice. I still remember the day you wanted to join the annual workshop, but we were already underway with that year’s class. You didn’t let that stop you, and did every assignment I gave the group on your own. And then qualified for our special Top Gun year by getting a silver HM! You have determination and grit, and that’s what turns belief into reality. Congratulations on your sales! Well done! ⭐️🚀

"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : August 2, 2023 10:50 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Posted by: @lost_bard

Thank you for sharing so much on this forum! I'm sure I haven't read all 3K posts, but I know I read a lot of them when I read this Super Secrets thread from cover to cover. So much great content in here! I definitely ascribe my rise from enthusiastic amateur to Writers of the Future winner to the Super Secrets.

Pay attention folks: There's GOLD in this thread! But you have to do the work to dig for it (aka: read!!)

You’re welcome, David. You embraced the teachings and did all the work necessary to become a professional writer. You trusted the process and look what you’ve accomplished! You’re not only a WotF winner, you’re a professional career writer with many sales to respected markets! What’s more, you were unpublished when you began following the Super Secrets. You are living proof they work, and it’s been wonderful to see your career skyrocket. Well done, David! Best of success on your first novel that will be brought to us through your first Kickstarter campaign! ⭐️🚀🏆🐺

Posted : August 2, 2023 10:57 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Posted by: @joel-c-scoberg

salute

Wow! What a milestone! I, for one, greatly appreciate all your efforts and imparted wisdom on the forum, I have certainly improved by reading the Super Secrets Thread.

Here's to the next 3,000 posts winking  

Thank you, Joel! I created these Super Secrets free and out in the open to help people like you! I’m glad you appreciate the work I’ve done here. It was a labor of love, and there’s the obvious winners, but so many private expressions of appreciation, many that got their first pro sales and even won the contest that no one knows about. But they wanted to let me know, and it’s made me happy to know the time I’ve devoted to this project has helped so many aspiring writers. Like you! 

Keep writing. Stay the course, as I know you will. Persistence yields rewards!

All the beast!

Posted : August 2, 2023 11:10 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Posted by: @physa

Congratulations! I remember the posts you made before your win where you would end your posts with "fortune favors the brave". After your win, you started the super secrets thread [when a lot of winners tend to drop into the background and not post much in the forum]. I regret not accepting the challenge you posted your first 2 or 3 years but was impressed at the successes of those who did. I have benefitted greatly from your forum posts, webinars on writing, and eventually being accepted into your wulfpack and doing your Vol 39 and 40 challenges. I can't wait to get my copy of your latest book! Your teachings [and feedback from forumites and wulfpackers] have helped me attain HMs [4 to date] and have given me the confidence that I can rise higher. salute clapper Arrow Party Cool Smile  

Thank you, Amy! Fortune does favor the brave! It takes courage to keep writing and sending our stories out. Rejection hurts, especially when it piles up during our apprentice/new writer stage of development. I remember when you had no HMs after years of writing, and were hoping you could turn the tide when you joined the Super Secrets Workshop and Challenge. Now you've accomplished that many times, which shows your writing has much promise! Well done!

Keep learning. Keep writing. Keep sending. Fortune favors the brave ... and the persistent!

All the beast!

Posted : August 2, 2023 3:38 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Posted by: @emlouviere

Congratulations, Wulf, on reaching such an amazing landmark. For me personally, your Super Secrets have been valuable in improving my writing.

Thank you for all your contributions to this forum, and to the field of F&SF.

Thank you, Gene! You're new here--you must have found the Super Secrets early on. I'm glad they've helped--it's why I wrote them! 

You'll find many other excellent tools here as well, including the Writers of the Future Online Workshop. Keep taking in knowledge, keep applying it to your work, and keep writing fresh stories, my recipe for the win!

Thanks again for your kind words. 

All the beast!

Posted : August 2, 2023 3:42 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Posted by: @empressed

Moon, I've entered this contest off and on for over thirty years. Until I met you, my successes were hit and a lot of misses. I've never felt so close to understanding the craft. Thank you!

My pleasure, Vickie! I was thrilled to see you reach finalist status while in the annual workshop in this thread. Great job on applying the Super Secrets, which are clear writing principles that give you a handle on key elements that make stories work. Once you hit such a high mark--finalist!--you can do it again. 

Keep up the great work, and keep writing crystal clear stories focused on your protagonist's Heart's Desire and whether they achieve it by the end.

You've got this!

All the beast!

Beastmaster Moon

Posted : August 2, 2023 3:48 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

It's Wednesday, and that means it's time for your Monday Super Secrets KYD writing prompt! 😁

Heh, I forgot! Forgive me. I’ve been dealing with long-COVID for many months now. It did a number on my writing, gave some kind of viral dyslexia, and has made me forget the simplest things, like my favorite cat’s name. My writing went from 2000-3000 words a day down to 220 words a day. It’s picking back up now, which is helping me finish the How to Write a Howling Good Story book. It will be in the hands of my publisher in a couple of weeks, and Kickstarter backers are promised it first. Watch for this compilation and updated version of the Super Secrets of Writing I built right here to help all of you!

And now, your prompt!

I’ll die trying.

This one focuses on sacrifice! Make sure your protagonist pays a powerful price to achieve victory for their people. 

All the beast!

Beastmaster Moon

Posted : August 9, 2023 10:41 am
catherine, Terry Ebaugh, David Hankins and 7 people reacted
(@ericstallsworth)
Bronze Member

@wulfmoon Sounds good! And sorry you're struggling at the moment.

2022 - Vol 39 Q2 - R
2022 - Vol 39 Q3 - DQ
2022 - Vol 39 Q4 - HM

Posted : August 9, 2023 11:24 am
Wulf Moon reacted
Michelle Diaz
(@michelle-d)
Bronze Member

@wulfmoon sorry to hear you're struggling, I hope you feel better soon.
And thanks for the prompt! *glances at her WIP* My poor character...

V41: HM, Entered, WIP, WIP
V40: HM, HM, RWC, HM
V39: R, R, R, HM
V38: R, R,

Posted : August 9, 2023 11:53 am
Wulf Moon reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

@md Thanks for the good wishes.

And for your character? You have to send her to hell before giving her a little slice of heaven. Wink  

Cheers!

Posted : August 9, 2023 1:27 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Posted by: @ericstallsworth

@wulfmoon Sounds good! And sorry you're struggling at the moment.

Thanks for the good wishes, Eric. I'll either finish this book or I'll die tryingGrinning  

Posted : August 9, 2023 1:28 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

It's Tuesday, and that means it's time for your Monday Super Secrets KYD writing prompt! 😁

The veil of fear.

I nabbed this one off a surfer, talking about the fear they must pass through when facing waves that can kill you.

Tubular!

Beastmaster Moon

Posted : August 15, 2023 8:34 am
Terry Ebaugh, David Hankins, empressed and 4 people reacted
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Gold Star Member

Posted by: @lost_bard

You’re welcome, David. You embraced the teachings and did all the work necessary to become a professional writer. You trusted the process and look what you’ve accomplished! You’re not only a WotF winner, you’re a professional career writer with many sales to respected markets! What’s more, you were unpublished when you began following the Super Secrets. You are living proof they work, and it’s been wonderful to see your career skyrocket. Well done, David! Best of success on your first novel that will be brought to us through your first Kickstarter campaign! ⭐️🚀🏆🐺

Thank you, Moon!

And thank you to everyone here on the Forum for your rousing support to the Death and the Taxman Kickstarter! It launched one week ago on August 8th and funded in TWO HOURS!! 

Y'all ROCK!!

Then, just a few hours later, Kickstarter named it a Project We Love. I was overjoyed and--for once--at a loss for words. And things have just continued to climb. We've been blowing past stretch goals over the past week and are currently at 456% funded.

And the Kickstarter still has three weeks left (closes September 7th). I'm thrilled to see where we'll go next!

Death and the Taxman was born right here in the Super Secrets Annual Challenge. I just wanted to say once again that there's gold in these Forum pages. I wouldn't have have gotten to where I am without the WotF Online Workshop or Moon's Super Secrets.

Here's a link to the Death and the Taxman Kickstarter. Thanks again for all your support!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/davidhankins/death-and-the-taxman?ref=1t2evh

Death and the Taxman Banner

Death and the Taxman, my WotF V39 winning story is now a novel available for pre-order! (Click Here >). The Taxman is Coming on Tax Day (Apr 15th) 2024!

Subscribe to The Lost Bard's Letter at www.davidhankins.com and receive an exclusive story!

New Releases:
"Milo Piper's Breakout Single that Ended the Rat War" in LTUE's Troubadours and Space Princesses anthology.
"Felix and the Flamingo" in Escape Pod.
"The Ghosts of Hart's Gambit" in Renaissance Press's There's No Place anthology.
"The Devil's Foot Locker" in Amazing Stories

Posted : August 15, 2023 8:36 am
catherine
(@cweaver)
Bronze Star Member

@lost_bard you are on fire! Party  🔥💀

Author of MG Fantasy Adventures:
Gold Dust
Phoenix Down
Author of an English/Japanese bilingual fantasy for 4-6 year-olds:
Ray and Mia's Adventure
I'm a professional copy editor and also a trained mime. Please don't hold either of these against me.
V37 Q2 HM
V39 Q2 HM, Q3 SHM, Q4 HM
V40 Q1 HM, Q2 HM, Q3 RWC, Q4 HM
V41 Q1 HM
https://catherineweaverauthor.com/

Posted : August 15, 2023 8:54 am
catherine
(@cweaver)
Bronze Star Member

@wulfmoon 🌊🏄‍♂️🏄‍♂️

Gold Dust
Phoenix Down
Ray and Mia's Adventure
I'm a professional copy editor and also a trained mime. Please don't hold either of these against me.
V37 Q2 HM
V39 Q2 HM, Q3 SHM, Q4 HM
V41 Q1 HM

Posted : August 15, 2023 8:56 am
Laura Holley
(@lauraholley)

@wulfmoon Oooh I love this one! A fun fantasy story is spinning up in my mind….

V40: Q2-HM, Q4-SHM

Posted : August 15, 2023 9:07 am
catherine and Wulf Moon reacted
(@ericstallsworth)
Bronze Member

@wulfmoon Great prompt (and great story behind it)!

2022 - Vol 39 Q2 - R
2022 - Vol 39 Q3 - DQ
2022 - Vol 39 Q4 - HM

Posted : August 15, 2023 9:10 am
Wulf Moon reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

It’s Monday! Time for your writing prompt! 

Demons earned.

I know where I got this one from, but I don’t want to bias your story. Have at it!

Beastmaster Moon

Posted : August 21, 2023 9:46 am
catherine, David Hankins, jadeankh and 1 people reacted
jadeankh
(@jadeankh)

I woke up this morning thinking "Alright Moon, what have you got for me this week" because life's thrown some curveballs and writing had been hard. What a prompt to fit in with everything!

1 R (but it's a start)
V39 Q3 RWC Q4 HM
V40 Q1 HM

Posted : August 21, 2023 3:37 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Posted by: @jadeankh

I woke up this morning thinking "Alright Moon, what have you got for me this week" because life's thrown some curveballs and writing had been hard. What a prompt to fit in with everything!

Sorry about the curveballs, Jade. May the prompt give you a jump-start!

Posted : August 23, 2023 3:23 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

20230823 132031

How's my eggs Benedict? Delicious! Last night, I finished How To Write a Howling Good Story. This, after pushing through long-COVID brain fog for many months that dropped my output from 2000-3000 words per day down to 220/day. But done is beautiful! Weighs in at 37 chapters, 100,000 words. A big book! Now to get this to my publisher, Mark Lefebvre of Stark Publishing Solutions. Kickstarter backers get it first, but it's coming soon to your favorite retail platform! Snoopy Dance with me! The genesis of this book was right here in the forum! Yippee Skippy!!! 😀

Posted : August 23, 2023 3:27 pm
catherine, crlisle, Writhmic and 2 people reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

IMG 2952

Your Monday writing prompt! 

Dive in!

Just a little over a month to go to craft your winner for the quarter and the end of the Volume 40 year. Make this one count! I wrote these Super Secrets to help! 

Cheers! 

Beastmaster Moon

Posted : August 28, 2023 8:48 am
Wulf Moon, Todd Jones, David Hankins and 4 people reacted
catherine
(@cweaver)
Bronze Star Member

Your Monday writing prompt! 

Dive in!

Love this one!

Gold Dust
Phoenix Down
Ray and Mia's Adventure
V37 Q2 HM
V39 Q2 HM, Q3 SHM, Q4 HM
V41 Q1 HM

Posted : August 28, 2023 9:18 am
Page 170 / 176
Share: