Wulf Moon's SUPER S...

Notifications
Clear all

Wulf Moon's SUPER SECRETS Workshop & Challenge!

5,274 Posts
133 Users
4352 Likes
885.6 K Views
Scott_M_Sands
(@scott_m_sands)
Gold Member

Thanks for posting this, David. I've read most of it before (I think it included a mash together of several previous articles/podcasts, as well as new stuff), but it's always a great reminder to go over it again. I particularly liked the part where Kary was talking about endings>

Well worth a read!

"If writing is easy, you're doing it wrong." -Bryan Hutchinson
V36-37: R x6
V38: R, HM, R, HM
V39: HM, HM, HM, HM
V40: HM

Posted : September 21, 2022 6:23 pm
Akis Linardos
(@linardos)
Bronze Member

Reporting early cause I don't want to forget. I am adapting to my new life in Philadelphia so won't be writing for a week or so, I expect.

1. Wrote 11500 fresh words (6000 in a novel, 4000 word short story and another 1500 short)

2. 1xKYD called The Gorgon Sisters Dance Again, which somehow sprouted form the chalice prompt

3. Subbed to Q4

4. 10+ submissions to pro-paying markets

Also vigorously edited a bunch of other stuff.

Posted : September 27, 2022 3:58 am
Anna X, catherine, empressed and 5 people reacted
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Gold Star Member

This week's KYD prompt comes to you courtesy of the Super Secret Prompt Generator found in @wulfmoon's Illustrated Super Super Secrets. I rolled the D100 and your prompt is:

Scream of Predator

Have fun Challenge Beasties!

Death and the Taxman, my WotF V39 winning story is now a novel! (Click Here >).

Subscribe to The Lost Bard's Letter at www.davidhankins.com and receive an exclusive novelette!

New Releases:
"Milo Piper's Breakout Single that Ended the Rat War" in LTUE's Troubadours and Space Princesses anthology
"Felix and the Flamingo" in Escape Pod
"The Ghosts of Hart's Gambit" in Renaissance Press's There's No Place anthology
"The Devil's Foot Locker" in Amazing Stories

Posted : September 27, 2022 2:57 pm
Wulf Moon reacted
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Gold Star Member

Check in for September, last month of the Year Four Super Secrets Challenge.

1. I wrote one KYD. Expanded it into an opening scene, but haven't gone beyond that yet.

2.Outlined two novels and started on one. Wrote 6K words on it. Wrote another 6K between two shorts that are both about half-written at this point.

3. Submitted to 7 professional markets.

Reflecting on this past year, I can't express how much my writing has improved as a result of this challenge. Obviously, my biggest achievement was placing 3rd in Q2, but the year has been filled with measurable improvements:

a) My writing output increased dramatically. Last year I averaged 1-2 stories/quarter. Now I'm writing 1-2 stories/month. Tripled output.

b) Last year I had a total of 8 submissions to markets, including WotF. This year I've had 79, a ten-fold increase.

c) When this challenge started, I was unpublished. Now I have stories in DreamForge, Factor Four, and Third Flatiron's After the Gold Rush anthology. I also have acceptances in Murderbirds and another amazing anthology (waiting for the contract so I can announce) and--of course--an acceptance in Writers of the Future.

The Super Secrets work. Applying them consistently through smart practice helped me grow from an enthusiastic amateur to an award-winning professional. Thanks @wulfmoon for setting this challenge!

Subscribe to The Lost Bard's Letter at www.davidhankins.com and receive an exclusive novelette!

New Releases:
"Milo Piper's Breakout Single that Ended the Rat War" in LTUE's Troubadours and Space Princesses anthology

Posted : September 28, 2022 6:59 am
Anna X, James (Ease), crlisle and 5 people reacted
empressed
(@empressed)
Silver Member

Wrote a KYD and a flash out of it, but it hasn't gone anywhere else.

Along with the flash, I've done about 3k in other stories and by the end of the month, I'll have subbed three stories by the end of the month. Still working on q4.

Victoria Dixon
Author of Mourn Their Courage
a 2010 Sandy Writing Contest Finalist
A Tribble Ate My Lunch: a Star Trek Cookbook (unpublished)
R=24
HM= 8
SHM=4
Finalist=1

Posted : September 28, 2022 7:19 am
Anna X, crlisle, Wulf Moon and 3 people reacted
Physa/ Guthington/ Amy
(@physa)
Gold Star Member

Posted by: @lost_bard

Check in for September, last month of the Year Four Super Secrets Challenge.

1. I wrote one KYD. Expanded it into an opening scene, but haven't gone beyond that yet.

2.Outlined two novels and started on one. Wrote 6K words on it. Wrote another 6K between two shorts that are both about half-written at this point.

3. Submitted to 7 professional markets.

Reflecting on this past year, I can't express how much my writing has improved as a result of this challenge. Obviously, my biggest achievement was placing 3rd in Q2, but the year has been filled with measurable improvements:

a) My writing output increased dramatically. Last year I averaged 1-2 stories/quarter. Now I'm writing 1-2 stories/month. Tripled output.

b) Last year I had a total of 8 submissions to markets, including WotF. This year I've had 79, a ten-fold increase.

c) When this challenge started, I was unpublished. Now I have stories in DreamForge, Factor Four, and Third Flatiron's After the Gold Rush anthology. I also have acceptances in Murderbirds and another amazing anthology (waiting for the contract so I can announce) and--of course--an acceptance in Writers of the Future.

The Super Secrets work. Applying them consistently through smart practice helped me grow from an enthusiastic amateur to an award-winning professional. Thanks @wulfmoon for setting this challenge!

You are my hero, David Hankins. What an awesome trajectory for our keeper of records! Party Starry Eyes bananarama woohoo dancingbanana  

WOTF results:
Vol 41: Q1 HM, Q2 P
running totals to date:
WOTF: 6 Rs, 3 RWCs. 6 HMs
IOTF: 3 Rs, 3 HMs
Check out my new website: https://www.amyrwethingtonwriterofspeculativeworlds.com/
According to Winston Churchill, "success is going from failure to failure with enthusiasm"
Somehow I lost my Guthington profile, but it's me. Amy Wethington = Guthington = Physa

Posted : September 28, 2022 7:40 am
Jenny Perry Carr
(@jennyperrycarr)
Bronze Star Member

September check in:

1. Wrote 1 new fresh story, 9100 words

2. Wrote 1 KYD that I expanded in to a flash story and submitted

3. Submitted for Q4

4. Submitted to 11 pro markets this quarter

It's been such a wonderful year of growth for my writing by participating in this challenge. Consistently writing a new story every month (or novel chapters) has pushed me to write on demand and meet deadlines. The days of agonizing over a single story for months is gone. Now I can write a good story in a few writing sessions (without pain!). I've started to see success for my efforts and have published 2 short stories with a third coming out in the Murderbirds anthology early next year. I've even started getting high tier rejections from editors, which shows me I'm moving in the right direction and my skills are improving.

This challenge has become habit now. So much so, that I think I'll keep these practices up moving forward. Writers write, and this challenge really focuses and pushes you. Even if you haven't formally joined the challenge, you can do this on your own at any time and reap the same benefits.

Happy writing!

I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done. - Steven Wright
V37: -, -, R, HM
V38: HM, R, HM, SHM
V39: HM, HM, R, R
V40: SHM
Pubs:
Model Citizen in the anthology From the Yonder: A Collection of Horror from Around the World Volume 2
Blue Serpent in Dark Recesses

Posted : September 28, 2022 8:15 am
Anna X, crlisle, Wulf Moon and 2 people reacted
Jarrodkwilliams
(@jarrodkwilliams)
Bronze Member

Septemeber Check in

1. Wrote a KYD. 

2. Expanded it out to a 4300 word story

3. Entered Q4 with a story I feel strongly about. 

4. Submitted to three respectable markets this month. 

This year has transformed my writing. I've gone from writing maybe one story in a three-month period to easily clearing the monthly requirements. I've gone from submitting once in a while to regularly sending work out (5 submissions each of the last 3 months). Despite some personal life and professional disruption over the last three months, I've maintained extremely high amounts of productivity. I had a story published in an anthology and received a personal rejection from one of my dream markets (Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction). 

I will be continuing this practice moving forward as I begin work for Volume 40 submissions and moving forward. I'm excited about how far I've come this year, but at the same time, I'm focused on improving with the tools the challenge and the super secrets have given me.  

V38 Q4: HM
V39 Q1: SHM
V39 Q2: HM
V39 Q3: RWC
V39 Q4: HM
V40 Q1: HM
V40 Q2: HM
V40 Q3: HM
V40 Q4: Submitted

Posted : September 29, 2022 8:44 am
Anna X, catherine, Wulf Moon and 3 people reacted
Physa/ Guthington/ Amy
(@physa)
Gold Star Member

September check in and Moon's Volume 39 challenge year in review. 

For September:

• 2 submissions to pro-markets.
  • I did a draft of a story at 7,500 words and then a complete rework using a different character POV a different opening and a way different climax and resolution such that it's a new story of about 7,500 words.
  • I did a KYD which helped me with the revision of the above
  • I got a personal rejection from a pro market.
  • And from another rejection from a pro market for a story I really like returned which I decided to use as my Q4 to give my nascent story more time for feedback and polishing now aimed at Q1.
  • And I submitted to IOTF as well. One piece from Q1 along with 2 brand new pieces where I added a lot of details to the background.
  • hm hm Received my Q3 results for WOTF and IOTF: both HMs!

Year in review: While I do have a lot of room for improvement, I improved noticeably during Moon's Volume 39 challenge. 

• It instilled good habits of writing and submitting. I can't stress this enough because without this challenge I would have done less. Each quarter I almost didn't make it, but knowing others were meeting the challenge and having Moon cheer us on meant that I was going to for sure meet each quarter's challenge no matter what was going on outside of writing: Clemson homecoming, planning celebration of life for parents, keeping up with 3 separate adjunct college teaching jobs, hurt wrist (etc.), peanut butter sickness, you name it. Life can really throw curve balls at a person.
  • Submitting to pro markets (at least 3/quarter) meant that I had less time for twitching for any one submission (including WOTF results) AND I received some nice personal rejections (notably from Dreamforge who is awesome in working with almost there writers and podcastle (their rejection would up being my Q2 HM, my first ever Honorable Mention in WOTF contest). It also meant that I have built up a nice collection of short stories, many of which read well.
  • The KYD/month was the hardest part of the challenge which is weird. BUT following the KYD process to getting a 250 word product is difficult and I'm still working on developing this skill.
  • One of the things that Moon challenged his year 3s to do was to mentor one of us year 4s. I was lucky to get paired with Candice Lisle who is an awesome writer and and awesome cheerleader. She has really helped me a lot including what is needed for a WOTF story to place vs. what my story had. She was kind and direct and it has meant all the difference in my writing.
  • When I started this challenge I was taking David Farland's 318R class. And in November I did Fyrecon (which included a Moon workshop). By the time I'm writing this, I believe I have take all of Moon's writing workshops to date and each are diamond blades to help me sharpen my writing. I'm currently retaking the 318R class with Rafael and I'm starting to really put into practice the teachings I've collected over the year to practice. One of the greatest benefits of the 318R class is working with a small group of similarly focused folk. That has made a world of difference!
  • One of the things the Farland course encourages is to read the stories published in the WOTF volumes... ALL of them. And that is quite illuminating. I've also made an effort to pick books to read that I can learn from.
  • I really miss David Farland. He was a giant of a man and extremely generous with his time.
  • I really enjoy WOTF podcasts, the online writing workshop, and the Q&A sessions. Really looking forward to the upcoming one with Orson Scott Card.
  • Before Moon's Volume 39 challenge, all I was doing was collecting Rs from WOTF. Getting an R is tough on the ego and it can either discourage a person or light a fire in that person to do better. I'm a light fire under me to do better sort of person. I can't thank Candice Lisle and Ceci Vaughn and Stephanie Troeth enough for their patience in helping me get more into my character's head and have them react to the plot more in a realistic way. The whole B line being just as important (if not more) than the A line. That was something that was for sure lacking in my writing. Thanks to their efforts plus others in the forum (so many helpful people here in the forum: e.g. Tim, Victoria, David, Scott, Dustin, the list is long), I have now broken my straight R curse. Q1 I got a RWC, Q2 and Q3 I received honorable mentions!!! Fingers crossed for my Q4.
  • I'm looking forward to Volume 40 and learning more about writing! I already have a lot of progress made on what will be my Q1 piece. PLUS my Q2 HM will be part of a book I have been working on for a while which I now have brand new fuel to proceed.
  • So happy to be able to FINALLY use the: hm sign. happysigh hearts dancingbanana  
  • And finally, my sincere thanks to @wulfmoon for pushing us and making us see that his impossible writing challenge was possible. AND when it comes to pass that one of us wins (e.g. David Hankins), we will already have in place good writing habits to propel our pro writing careers to greater heights.

WOTF results:
Vol 41: Q1 HM, Q2 P
running totals to date:
WOTF: 6 Rs, 3 RWCs. 6 HMs
IOTF: 3 Rs, 3 HMs
Check out my new website: https://www.amyrwethingtonwriterofspeculativeworlds.com/
According to Winston Churchill, "success is going from failure to failure with enthusiasm"
Somehow I lost my Guthington profile, but it's me. Amy Wethington = Guthington = Physa

Posted : September 30, 2022 6:56 am
crlisle, Anna X, catherine and 4 people reacted
Scott_M_Sands
(@scott_m_sands)
Gold Member

Checking in for September and the final month:

1. Wrote a 3500k word story.

2. Did x2 KYDs. One based on 'Under the Gun/Pump'. Turned vengeful, as they often do. Ha, ha. The other was a prompt for a different market

3. Subbed a fresh story to Q4

4. Submitted to x4 respectable markets

Looking back at this year. Hmmm. Honestly, I haven't reached as many of my goals (particularly regarding publication) as I would have liked. Not through lack of study or effort. But that's the game. I did reach my personal goal as far as submissions go (100+)--I've had 126 submissions since January (with a nice little February bonus of having more subs than days in that month). That's helped me learn the importance of targeting specific markets for stories.

I've also really appreciated that this challenge included novel chapters as an option--my first draft is done (approx. 90k) and I hope to have the editing completed soon, ready for some feedback from beta readers. I'm really excited about the novel. While I was already setting aside time to work on this regularly, this WOTF challenge did help me continue that productivity.

Aside from the skill of killing of those unwanted, unnecessary words, I've also appreciated about the KYD challenges the opportunity to explore genres I wouldn't normally do. I want to write novels. Totally confident of that. But I don't necessarily want to write novels across all genres. I'm just not interested enough in some genres to do that. But the KYDs have allowed me to explore some of these I wouldn't normally do and practice new skills--as well as finding out many new things from research, as I had no idea about some elements of the genre!

I'll say this: I'm glad to have completed all requirements of this year's challenge. I first joined the forum a couple years back and tagged along as a lurker to the previous few years' challenges. Wulf Moon's willingness to post his secrets of writing and continue encouraging new writers is just brilliant. Brilliant.

So thanks, Moon.

Posted : September 30, 2022 7:28 am
Anna X, David Hankins, Wulf Moon and 1 people reacted
Yelena
(@scribblesatdusk)
Silver Member

I wrote a KYD (didn't build back up to 1k yet but will) on dream grinder.

Added 3k to a story I had going.

Am going to submit to wotf today

Subbed to lots of markets. Got some rejections already 🙁 waiting on more

Thanks for reopening this challenge. I wanted to join it since I found out about it but by then it was too late. It was hard for me after the burst of the initial months. I'm glad I did it, but I don't think I have it in me to do it again.

Good things: it forced me to submit much more to other markets than I had been submitting before and it taught me my process of writing. Forcing myself to write more for a deadline may help some people but as my quantity increased, the quality suffered. Deadlines are great motivators for me in general, but not when I feel overwhelmed because oh no I still have the 3k story, and the KYD, etc. The months when a wotf story was due were def the hardest for me because I find it difficult to keep multiple thread of different stories in my head (forget pantser, I go commando). It's important I learned I could write a lot under pressure but also that I accept the type of writer I am. That I like to brew on stories that don't come to me in a flow state. That I prefer to edit as I go until I like how a sentence sounds as otherwise it blocks my future words. Without this challenge and without joining the wulfpack I'd probably never have heard about the after the gold rush anthology call (where I have a story published) or the murderbirds anthology call (where I will have one).

V36:Q3 HM V37: Q3 R, Q4 SHM V38: R,HM, F, HM V39: HM, SHM, SHM, SHM V40: SF, RWC, ?

Posted : September 30, 2022 10:01 am
Anna X, catherine, James (Ease) and 4 people reacted
empressed
(@empressed)
Silver Member

Posted by: @empressed

Wrote a KYD and a flash out of it, but it hasn't gone anywhere else.

Along with the flash, I've done about 3k in other stories and by the end of the month, I'll have subbed three stories by the end of the month. Still working on q4.

Woops, I forgot to reflect on the year. I'll admit, after finaling last year I'd hoped to win by now, so it's been a disappointing year. Not only have I not finaled again, I've had a ton of rejections. Tell me again, why do I do this? LOL That said, I just subbed my Q4 and I've submitted more stories each month than I ever have before, so I've progressed. I'll accept that as a win. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by empressed

Victoria Dixon
R=24
HM= 8
SHM=4
Finalist=1

Posted : September 30, 2022 10:02 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Well, I wrote up a nice post congratulating all of you for a year well done, and then the gremlins ate it. Rest assured, I'll write a year end post soon, but I have a masterclass to teach for Fyrelite tomorrow. I congratulate each of you for staying the course, tough though it may have been at times. I am proud of the many wonderful results, not the least of which is learning you can produce far more than you might have ever believed possible before. 

Keep learning. Keep writing fresh stories. Keep sending them out to respectable markets!

All the beast!

Beastmaster Moon

Click here to JOIN THE WULF PACK!
"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : September 30, 2022 6:43 pm
Anna X, catherine, Physa/ Guthington/ Amy and 2 people reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Illustrated Ad Secret is Out

It's fitting I make an announcement and post this here. I created the Super Secrets of Writing in this very thread after winning Writers of the Future four years ago. My purpose? To help anyone that wished to improve their writing and to succeed in getting published--not the least of which by winning Writers of the Future! As it turned out, this workshop and challenge has proved more successful than I could have possibly imagined. I am so happy to see the living results in all of you. The Super Secrets work!

And now, I'm bringing the Super Secrets to a larger audience, and have launched the first of my writing books through my own publishing company. The Illustrated Super Secrets of Writing is here! I released it eight days ago at Salt Lake FanX, and 119 units have already sold! I'm about to sell out of my first print run!

This is a gorgeous fully illustrated, full color, magazine-sized, 48-page workbook covering the best of my writing principles that have helped writers level up and even launch their professional careers. In it, I encourage writers to enter this Contest, and I acknowledge all the help David Farland gave to so many of us. I wish he could have seen this moment--Dave loved what I was doing here, and I even consulted with him on one of the chapters in the workbook! While our mentor is gone, the wonderful example he set of paying it forward by helping others lives on.

This workshop has been my labor of love to do the same. Many have asked me to publish the Super Secrets. At last, it has been accomplished!

All the beast!

Wulf Moon

Cover purp and black quote 1

"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : September 30, 2022 7:30 pm
Anna X, catherine, Physa/ Guthington/ Amy and 4 people reacted
(@cpapa)
Advanced Member

Q4 Update:

I wrote 1 KYD, wrote a short story and submitted it the first week of the month, and attempted to sub to WotF Q4. I hit submit 4 minutes before the deadline but never got an email about it, so I've reached out to see if something went wrong. If it isn't accepted, it'll be disappointing but at least I have a story I can submit elsewhere why I write a new story for Q1!

I have really loved this challenge, even if I haven't been super present all the time. The challenge kept me accountable, and I was submitting and writing stories despite a lot of not great things happening in my life this past year. The challenge gave me the drive to push through and write when I'd probably normally just shelve it. It's helped me develop good habits, and I'm so proud of how far I've come since the start of the year.

I didn't get my first sale, but I have a big pile of wonderful personal rejections. My favorite is one where everyone loved it but one person, but the story was pretty quirky so I'm not too surprised. But I have the rejection on my bulletin board because the praises from those who loved the story are inspiring. I'm going to keep on writing and strive to keep these good habits and practices going for the next year!

HM, HM, R, HM, R, HM

Posted : October 1, 2022 6:02 am
Anna X, catherine, Wulf Moon and 3 people reacted
empressed
(@empressed)
Silver Member

One thing I do love about the monthly and yearly accounting: it makes me feel stronger. The rejections tear us apart, but reading the efforts here makes me so proud to be part of this community. Love you all!

Victoria Dixon
R=24
HM= 8
SHM=4
Finalist=1

Posted : October 1, 2022 6:21 am
Anna X, Wulf Moon, Scott_M_Sands and 3 people reacted
crlisle
(@crlisle)
Gold Member

Posted by: @empressed

One thing I do love about the monthly and yearly accounting: it makes me feel stronger. The rejections tear us apart, but reading the efforts here makes me so proud to be part of this community. Love you all!

Lobe you too!

Vol. 36: 3rd -- R, 4th -- R
Vol. 37: 1st -- R, 2nd -- HM, 3rd -- HM, 4th -- SHM
Vol. 38: 1st -- HM, 2nd -- HM, 3rd -- HM, 4th -- HM
Vol. 39: 1st -- SHM, 2nd -- RWC, 3rd -- RWC, 4th -- HM
Vol. 40: 1st -- HM, 2nd -- R, 3rd -- RWC, 4th -- R
Vol. 41: 1st - R, 2nd -- pending, 3rd -- WIP

"Never give up! Never surrender!" -- Galaxy Quest

Posted : October 1, 2022 7:22 am
Anna X, Wulf Moon, Scott_M_Sands and 2 people reacted
empressed
(@empressed)
Silver Member

tumblr n4eh454kQI1s8hnhko1 500

Victoria Dixon
R=24
HM= 8
SHM=4
Finalist=1

Posted : October 1, 2022 7:30 am
Anna X, Wulf Moon, Physa/ Guthington/ Amy and 2 people reacted
James (Ease)
(@ease)
Gold Star Member

Blown away by all of your updates. I hope you're all as proud as you should be! 😁

Hoping to follow in your footsteps by joining the workshop for this new year, but not exactly sure how. I signed up on the Wulf Pack website but I'm not sure what to do next.

VOL 40 2nd Quarter: Third Place ("Ashes to Ashes, Blood to Carbonfiber")
Past submissions: R - HM - HM - HM - HM - HM - SHM - SHM
www.jd-writes.com

Posted : October 1, 2022 5:06 pm
Anna X, ajschultz6, Wulf Moon and 1 people reacted
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Gold Star Member

Posted by: @ease

Blown away by all of your updates. I hope you're all as proud as you should be! 😁

Hoping to follow in your footsteps by joining the workshop for this new year, but not exactly sure how. I signed up on the Wulf Pack website but I'm not sure what to do next.

Just keep an eye on this thread. @wulfmoon will post when he has the next year’s challenge ready to go.

New Releases:

Posted : October 1, 2022 8:27 pm
Anna X, ajschultz6, James (Ease) and 1 people reacted
Scott_M_Sands
(@scott_m_sands)
Gold Member

Posted by: @cpapa

I didn't get my first sale, but I have a big pile of wonderful personal rejections. My favorite is one where everyone loved it but one person, but the story was pretty quirky so I'm not too surprised. But I have the rejection on my bulletin board because the praises from those who loved the story are inspiring. I'm going to keep on writing and strive to keep these good habits and practices going for the next year!

I love that, cpapa.
Let those personal comments where people liked your story encourage you for years to come.  Smile

Posted : October 1, 2022 9:15 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

John and Emily cropped (2)

Hey there, Challenge Beasties!

I've loved all your posts, both about meeting the September challenge requirements, and the growth you enjoyed over the course of this Year 4 of the Super Secrets Workshop & Challenge! AMAZING, BOTH IN PRODUCTIVITY AND IN RESULTS! WELL DONE!

I'll post final commentary on the year as I always do (not that results are over), but I'm still catching up from FanX and all the orders coming in for my first indie release of The Illustrated Super Secrets of Writing workbook. Shipping out another twenty today! I've almost sold out of my first print run! My thanks to all of you for your wonderful enthusiasm about the project and your support of the Super Secrets. I could NOT have done it without you!

I wrapped up the Contest year with a special moment. My first appearance as an author guest at Salt Lake FanX, my first exhibit booth as a writer and publisher, and my first indie published release. Also, the grand privilege of being on the Writers of the Future panel at FanX to encourage the next wave of aspiring writers was a dream come true! Zeet was there, too, our own Z.T. Bright, challenge beastie from Year Two of this workshop! So was Brandon Sanderson, which put the icing on the cake. And of course, John and Emily Goodwin, our panel hosts from Author Services and Writers of the Future! As you can see above, they also came to visit at my booth, which was so nice of them. They had their own booth to run! Thanks, John and Emily! You're the best!

Keep writing--don't lose your great momentum as we await results from Q4. I have a very good feeling about Q4--I've seen some amazing stories! To help with your next, here's your writing prompt. My apologies it's late, but you know why.

YOUR MONDAY WRITING PROMPT:

It's just a little pinprick.

Have at it! As writers, we never retire, we just move on to the next chapter ... of our careers!

All the beast!

Beastmaster Moon

Cropped FanX 2022 booth

Posted : October 4, 2022 10:51 am
James (Ease)
(@ease)
Gold Star Member

Hey @wulfmoon, as someone hoping to join the Workshop/Challenge for the first time, is there any additional information/restrictions around the writing prompt? A certain length we need to meet/exceed/keep within? Or do I need to wait for an official start of the next year of the workshop?

www.jd-writes.com

Posted : October 4, 2022 11:12 am
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Gold Star Member

Hey @wulfmoon, as someone hoping to join the Workshop/Challenge for the first time, is there any additional information/restrictions around the writing prompt? A certain length we need to meet/exceed/keep within? Or do I need to wait for an official start of the next year of the workshop?

The prompt is meant to get your creative juices flowing as you go through a KYD exercise. At its very basic, you write a 1K word vignette then reduce it to 500w then down to 250w. The point of the exercise is not just to cut and streamline, but to find the beating heart of your story. You won’t get a full story in 250, it’s just a vignette, but that heart’s desire should be clear. 

Take a look at @wulfmoon’s KYD article for more details:

https://dreamforge.mywebportal.app/dreamforge/stories/show/kyd-kill-your-darlings-wulf-moon  

New Releases:

Posted : October 4, 2022 1:21 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Hi, Ease,

Thank you for your interest in the Super Secrets Workshop and Challenge, Year 5. This is always a transition period, as the prior year’s results really don’t finish until Q4 results come in. Of course, the show must go on. That is, if I have the time. I’m swamped with client edits and setting up the Kickstarter for the Super Secrets book, as well as taking care of the demand for the Super Secrets workbook I just published.

Give me a bit to figure out my schedule, and what the plan may be for this year. The requirements to participate will be at least the same as last year. I’ll ask my Keeper of Records to list those for you. Thanks, @lost_bard .

Keep learning, keep writing! This challenge has been designed to help you to keep doing so.

All the beast, 

Beastmaster Moon

Posted : October 6, 2022 10:17 am
ajschultz6, catherine, Scott_M_Sands and 3 people reacted
catherine
(@cweaver)
Bronze Star Member

@wulfmoon I can’t wait! I really hope you’ll be able to do it this year!

Author of MG Fantasy Adventures:
Gold Dust
Phoenix Down
Author of an English/Japanese bilingual fantasy for 4-6 year-olds:
Ray and Mia's Adventure
I'm a professional copy editor and also a trained mime. Please don't hold either of these against me.
V37 Q2 HM
V39 Q2 HM, Q3 SHM, Q4 HM
V40 Q1 HM, Q2 HM, Q3 RWC, Q4 HM
V41 Q1 HM
https://catherineweaverauthor.com/

Posted : October 7, 2022 1:33 pm
Wulf Moon reacted
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Gold Star Member

Posted by: @wulfmoon

What am I challenging you to do for Volume 39? It would have to be your own personal commitment, and I'm not placing it upon current members--they've met their Top Gun Year requirements. But here it is for those of you that are up to a new challenge for Volume 39:

1. A fresh, original story (or novel chapter) written each month of 3,000 words or more.
     That's 12 new stories written in the Volume 39 year! 

2. One full KYD exercise per month, based off one of my Monday prompts.

3. A story submitted to Writers of the Future each quarter, revised or new, it's up to you.

4. Three stories submitted to RESPECTABLE MARKETS each quarter (see the Super Secret on the definition, but it's basically markets paying 5 cents a word and up that treat writers professionally and with respect). 

So there you have it, a decent challenge for any Forum writer seeking to up their game. And if you wish to level up faster, why not set a goal of 2 KYDs a month? Many workshop members have said doing this exercise every month has been a game changer. In fact, Zach Bright's grand prize winner in the Mike Resnick Memorial Award for New Writers? It was created from a KYD exercise! The system works. I encourage you to see for yourself. The proof is in the pudding, right here, and it's double chocolate with whipped cream and extra sprinkles. Smile

Do let me know you're doing this challenge. You don't have to report in each quarter, it's on the honor system. But I have been known to help out those I see working hard . . .

And if you'd like some one-on-one instruction, I do teach at cons. Just sayin'. Check my signature line for the latest!

I salute each one in this year's Top Gun Workshop, and I wish all of you in the WotF Forum much success on your writer's journey!

All the beast!

Commander "Beastmaster" Moon

For @ease and any others looking for the challenge requirements for the Volume 39 Super Secrets Challenge, here's Moon's original post about it.

New Releases:

Posted : October 7, 2022 6:17 pm
ajschultz6, James (Ease), Cherrie and 1 people reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Your Monday prompt, on Tuesday! Smile  

Soul food. Very Hungry  

If you can’t see the potential in that one, then you’re not a *creative* writer! 😁

All the beast! Rabid  

Beastmaster Moon

Posted : October 11, 2022 9:52 am
catherine, ajschultz6, storysinger and 1 people reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Your Monday writing prompt … on Monday! <gasp>

Without hope, there is no future.

Write those fresh stories! When we edit stories, we grow as editors. When we write fresh stories, we grow as writers.

All the beast!

Beastmaster Moon

Posted : October 17, 2022 8:04 am
James (Ease)
(@ease)
Gold Star Member

A new week already? How did that happen?

www.jd-writes.com

Posted : October 17, 2022 8:27 am
Page 164 / 176
Share: