Wulf Moon's SUPER S...

Notifications
Clear all

Wulf Moon's SUPER SECRETS Workshop & Challenge!

5,273 Posts
133 Users
4348 Likes
884.6 K Views
N.V. Haskell
(@nvhaskell)
Bronze Star Member

Just wanted to say how much I loved @wulfmoon's Kill Your Darlings Master workshop at Fyrecon. My brain was completely fried at the end of it but I am already putting the skills you taught into practice.

If anyone here struggles with conciseness or is overly wordy like me, I highly recommend taking this class.

Thank you for passing on your wisdom and skills and always being so supportive!

‘Writing is like giving yourself homework, really hard homework, everyday for the rest of your life. You want glamour? Throw glitter at the computer screen.' - Ketrina Monroe
'The War Within' Deep Magic Volume 73 https://deepmagic.co
'Spirit Talk' in The Last Line Issue 7 Winter
'The Mystical Farrago' Writers of the Future, Volume 38
'The Dying Book' Misfits of Magic Anthology
'Whatever Lola Wants' Murderbirds Anthology
'Inspirational Theurgist' Of Wizards and Wolves Anthology for the David Farland memorial fund
'Beneath the Glass Dark' From the Depths Anthology
'A Life of Color' Metaphorosis magazine 8/1/2023
'A Murmuring Darkness' Strange Horizons 9/18/2023
'Out There With Them' Robotic Ambitions-Apex publishing (upcoming)
'A Widow's Word' Murderbugs Anthology (upcoming)
V37- R, HM, SHM, HM
V38- HM, SHM, Winner (3rd place)

Posted : November 23, 2021 6:52 am
Henckel, Candy Ever, storysinger and 3 people reacted
Cray Dimensional
(@craydimensional)
Gold Star Member

I love Fyrecon and was excited to finally meet many of you online. I am looking forward to the day when I emerge from my Hobbit Hole to meet people in person.

I took two workshops "Nail You Openings and Hammer Your Ending" and "The Secrets of a Howling Good Plot"

I enjoyed both of them and I am revamping my Q1 Entry to take into account some of the tricks I learned. I recommend these course to any of us pantsters that like to drive around the story, because they provide the map we need to get there.

Small steps add up to miles.
V38: R, R, HM, HM
V39: RWC, HM, HM, SHM
V40 : HM, RWC, R, HM
V41 : RWC, P
"Amore For Life" in After the Gold Rush Third Flatiron Anthology
"Freedom’s Song” in Troubadour and Space Princesses LTUE Anthology
"Experimenting with the Dance of Death" Coming in Jun '24 in Love is Complicated LUV Romance Anthology.

Posted : November 23, 2021 8:51 am
Candy Ever, storysinger, Wulf Moon and 1 people reacted
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Would words written in blood on the wall of a cave be a form of alien petroglyphs?  Are werewolves actually alien entities here to sample earthly cuisine? The inquiring mind wants to know.

Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality-D.R.Sweeney
HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : November 23, 2021 11:16 am
Wulf Moon reacted
Yelena
(@scribblesatdusk)
Silver Member

Posted by: @storysinger

Are werewolves actually alien entities here to sample earthly cuisine?

You make it sound like werewolves are real...

V36:Q3 HM V37: Q3 R, Q4 SHM V38: R,HM, F, HM V39: HM, SHM, SHM, SHM V40: SF, RWC, ?

Posted : November 23, 2021 11:58 am
(@ccrawford)
Silver Member

Posted by: @scribblesatdusk

You make it sound like werewolves are real...

Are they not? *side eye at the one I invited in for breakfast* 🤣 

v35: Q4 - HM
V36: R, R, R, R
V37: SHM, HM, HM, SHM
V38: SHM, HM, HM, HM
V39: HM, R, SHM, HM
Indie author of The Lex Chronicles (Legends of Arameth), and the in-progress Leyward Stones series--including my serial, Macchiatos, Faerie Princes, and Other Things That Happen at Midnight, currently available on Kindle Vella.
Website: http://ccrawfordwriting.com. I also have a newsletter and a blog!
Short story "Our Kind" published in DreamForge Anvil, Issue #5, and also "One Shot at Aeden" published in DreamForge Anvil, Issue #7!

Posted : November 23, 2021 12:01 pm
N.V. Haskell, David Hankins, storysinger and 1 people reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Posted by: @craydimensional

I love Fyrecon and was excited to finally meet many of you online. I am looking forward to the day when I emerge from my Hobbit Hole to meet people in person.

I took two workshops "Nail You Openings and Hammer Your Ending" and "The Secrets of a Howling Good Plot"

I enjoyed both of them and I am revamping my Q1 Entry to take into account some of the tricks I learned. I recommend these course to any of us pantsters that like to drive around the story, because they provide the map we need to get there.

Glad they helped, Cray! Lovely to work with you, and thank you for your support! May the knowledge help you level up and help you craft your winner! Cheers!

Click here to JOIN THE WULF PACK!
"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : November 23, 2021 2:25 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Posted by: @nvhaskell

Just wanted to say how much I loved @wulfmoon's Kill Your Darlings Master workshop at Fyrecon. My brain was completely fried at the end of it but I am already putting the skills you taught into practice.

If anyone here struggles with conciseness or is overly wordy like me, I highly recommend taking this class.

Thank you for passing on your wisdom and skills and always being so supportive!

My pleasure, NVHaskell! It's wonderful to have finally met at last, and to fry your brain in the process! giggle  

You can see why that workshop takes five hours. Learning the right way to do the phases of the KYD exercise is the only way you'll truly benefit from it. It was interesting to see one participant not get the purpose of KYD until the very last phase. LIGHT BULB. And that's the benefit of live instruction. You could see the scales fall from his eyes. So cool! 

Keep up the great work! Thank you for your support of the Super Secrets Workshops! See you soon at Superstars! Don't forget to join the Wulf Pack Club by emailing me! We have a hopping KYD post and crit area to test your results! You'll also get my sample worksheets.

Cheers!

"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : November 23, 2021 2:35 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

We’re about to hit 750,000 views on the Super Secrets of Writing! Thank you to all that have read the posts, and to all the participants in the annual workshops. The results have truly been miraculous! Smart practice works! Well done!

Beastmaster Moon

Posted : November 24, 2021 10:16 am
empressed, David Hankins, Yelena and 1 people reacted
Jason Toth
(@jason)
Gold Star Member Admin

@wulfmoon 750,010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Thank you again for all you do to to uplift and help the writing community!

clapper clapper clapper clapper clapper clapper  

Posted : November 24, 2021 12:16 pm
N.V. Haskell, Henckel, David Hankins and 5 people reacted
Scott_M_Sands
(@scott_m_sands)
Gold Member

A great achievement, Moon!

"If writing is easy, you're doing it wrong." -Bryan Hutchinson
V36-37: R x6
V38: R, HM, R, HM
V39: HM, HM, HM, HM
V40: HM

Posted : November 24, 2021 3:01 pm
Henckel and Wulf Moon reacted
(@danuta)
Advanced Member

@wulfmoon It is always brilliant to see your contribution to the greater SFF community find its audience. You are such an encouraging and engaging teacher. This is wonderful! An astounding achievement! Congratulations! Well earned!

Posted : November 24, 2021 6:06 pm
Wulf Moon reacted
(@danuta)
Advanced Member

Posted by: @wulfmoon
Posted by: @ajzach

I would be open to helping someone from this year's workshop.

I still feel like I have a lot to learn, but I don't think that's ever going to change!

Wonderful! I’ve edited @danuta (Danuta Raine’s) work, and yours of course, and I believe you two would be compatible if she’s willing. Drop her a PM and let’s lift one another up through mentoring! Thanks for extending a hand, AJZach! We are all learning, btw, for the rest of our lives. But each of us have unique gifts that can be used to edify others.

You are a superhero! Congrats again on your first pro-rate sale to the anthology Things With Feathers: Stories of Hope. I look forward to reading it after Fyrecon ends! 

Cheers!

Beastmaster Moon

I am so sorry not to have responded sooner. I am still getting used to the site and hadn't noticed the PM. Of course I would love buddy up with AJZach. We can definitely make something work. 

Posted : November 24, 2021 6:36 pm
Wulf Moon reacted
(@candy)

@wulfmoon this is awesome!

Posted : November 25, 2021 12:04 am
Wulf Moon reacted
empressed
(@empressed)
Silver Member

Loved Fyrecon and Martin's talk on teaching inspired me. I think I want to have a go at teaching next year. (Takes a deep breath.) There. It's on the page and I can't take it back. Shudders.

Victoria Dixon
Author of Mourn Their Courage
a 2010 Sandy Writing Contest Finalist
A Tribble Ate My Lunch: a Star Trek Cookbook (unpublished)
R=24
HM= 8
SHM=4
Finalist=1

Posted : November 25, 2021 7:51 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Writers & Illustrators of the Future Day 8 20211023 077

Posted by: @jason

@wulfmoon 750,010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Thank you again for all you do to to uplift and help the writing community!

clapper clapper clapper clapper clapper clapper  

Thank you, Jason, and to all of you at Author Services, for your support of my work. Jason, you do so much behind the scenes that few hear about. You are an unsung hero, but I have always been grateful for what you—and your lovely wife Sarah do—to make the winners’ week run smoothly, from building the stage to setting up the look for the workshops to processing the thousands of photos taken, to helping winners keep up with the signings, to packing the awards and promo materials correctly in those suitcases, to take down and packing everything up and moving it out. You guys are always smiling, always positive and friendly, even when I see you lugging everything back to ASI. Thank you.

I don’t think people realize you troubleshoot everything as ASI’s tech guy, including all the glitches that occurred this year with transition of the Forum from the old to the new. I owe you special thanks for spending so much of your time reconnecting all of the Super Secrets hyperlinks that got lost in the transition. When I thanked you for doing that work, which was HUGE, you told me it was your pleasure, that the Super Secrets were an important resource in the Forum, and that it was obvious that they’ve helped many writers advance in their writing skills. Thank you for the kind recognition, and for the daily help in monitoring the Forum to keep it safe and upbuilding to create a safe haven for aspiring writers to gather in. You are greatly appreciated, and we all owe you many rounds of applause. Cheers!

Over 750,000 views! Wow! How far we’ve come in three years with this project. My thanks to all of you for your support, and for those within the workshop and without that have applied the principles and seen such marvelous results. You have proven that smart practice yields wonderful rewards. May all of you continue to grow on your writer journeys.

I founded the Super Secrets on one basic premise. It is summed up in a saying by Pablo Picasso, and I quote it to you now: “Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.”

Warmth and sunshine,

Wulf Moon

Writers & Illustrators of the Future Day 8 20211023 077

Posted : November 25, 2021 1:19 pm
PenMark, N.V. Haskell, David Hankins and 4 people reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Feathers Cover

FREE! The gift of an ebook to all my friends, one day only! This pro-pay anthology holds my Writers of the Future 24-hour story “Sophie’s Parisian Stationery and Parfumerie Magnifique.” I created it in 24-hours as part of the famous writing exercise at the Writers of the Future Workshop. Tim Powers pulls items from a hat to serve as your prompt--mine was a blank, unruled 3x5 index card! Then Tim led us to a library to do research. As I walked back to our hotel along the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the story gelled. Sentient Hollywood buildings for the win! Sold first time out!

Tangent review: "[A] serious story about loneliness.” “[C]reated in twenty-four hours as part of a writing exercise. The fact that a fully professional story was the result is impressive..." Get yours TODAY before the offer expires tomorrow! And don't miss Super Secrets Workshop member Emily Dauvin's story in here as well. Her first sale, and in a pro-pay anthology! Cheers! https://bit.ly/MoonFeather

Posted : November 27, 2021 2:58 pm
Scott_M_Sands
(@scott_m_sands)
Gold Member

you do so much behind the scenes that few hear about

You've always been super quick to respond and help with any concerns I may have had in regards to the forum. Can't ask any more than that!

Thanks, Jason.  clapper clapper  

Posted : November 27, 2021 3:18 pm
David Hankins, MountainSpud, Wulf Moon and 1 people reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Hey, Super Secrets challenge beasties! I just saw that my 24-hour WotF workshop story in the Things With Feathers anthology is still free as of this morning! If you’d like to see how I tackled being handed a blank 3x5 index card by Tim Powers and was told to write a story on it, here’s your chance to get the ebook for nada! You may be doing this exercise yourself one day, and there’s some tricks in this story on how I tackled the challenge that might help you.

But you better hurry. This free offer was only for 24 hours. It will likely go down later today. Cheers!

https://bit.ly/MoonFeather

Posted : November 28, 2021 11:41 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

I hope you enjoyed your time off and had good times with friends and family. And now it’s back to writing! Don’t forget, if you registered for this year’s Super Secrets Challenge, you must meet the requirements to stay in. Our Keeper of Records has his bloody quill raised, poised to ask if your blood oaths have held true. Stay the course, and keep writing fresh stories!

Your Monday prompt is: 

19B8DFBA 9888 4E28 A698 C64057EB18BF

Have at it!

Beastmaster Moon

Posted : November 29, 2021 10:07 am
Scott_M_Sands
(@scott_m_sands)
Gold Member

@wulfmoon 

Oooh, a visual prompt! I like this one!

(reminds me of I don't know how many games)

Posted : November 29, 2021 5:31 pm
Wulf Moon reacted
Scott_M_Sands
(@scott_m_sands)
Gold Member

As to oaths and blood, here are my requirements for Nov:

- I wrote one new novel chapter (approx. 3350w)

- Did a KYD based on 'alien petroglyphs' prompt

- I haven't subbed to WOtF yet. Still polishing my Q1, but I'll definitely send it in next month.

- I've already met the 'send to respectable markets' part. I subbed another x3 stories this month, I believe.

It was actually pretty tight finishing these for this quarter, I must confess. Work crazy busy. It feels nice to say that I still got there!

Posted : November 29, 2021 5:36 pm
Danuta Raine, MountainSpud, David Hankins and 1 people reacted
babooher
(@babooher)
Silver Member

Forgive an interloper, but I felt like this was the best place to put this. Super Secret 0, a properly formatted submission...it seems simple enough. Go to Shunn's and follow the example. I've been doing it for years. Or so I thought. Now I'm not so sure.

See, I saw some submission guidelines that asked for a properly formatted text. The guide even linked Shunn's formatting guide. But then they added one more thing. They asked that the writer not indent their paragraphs using Tab. They wanted indented paragraphs, but done in some other way than the Tab key. I went to Shunn's just to see if I had missed that key detail years ago or if there had been some update. Nope, nada, zilchorino.

A friend of mine who has edited anthologies was kind enough to explain this a but further. He even shared with me some videos on how to do it in Word. I said it all seemed like a bunch of brown M&Ms, but he said it would affect formatting to a small degree for the publisher. So, I'll pick out the brown M&Ms before I submit. But is not using Tab the norm? If we're not supposed to use the Tab key, can we replace it with an Em dash?

I'll leave you fine folks alone now. Sorry if this isn't the proper place for the inquiry. Write on, write on, write on.

2012 Q4: R
2016 Q3: SHM
2019 Q2: HM, Q3: HM
2020 Q2: HM, Q4: SHM
2021 Q1: HM, Q2: SF, Q3: SHM, Q4: SHM
2022 Q1: SHM, Q2 RWC, Q4 RWC
2023 Q1: RWC Q2: SHM Q3:Nope Q4: WIP

Posted : November 29, 2021 7:35 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

@babooher  Don't use the Tab key, Babooher. Under Paragraph, Indentation, set Special to First Line, set your Indents there to .5 inch. And do not add extra spacing between paragraphs. 

Posted : November 30, 2021 12:16 am
(@danuta)
Advanced Member

I hope you enjoyed your time off and had good times with friends and family. And now it’s back to writing! Don’t forget, if you registered for this year’s Super Secrets Challenge, you must meet the requirements to stay in. Our Keeper of Records has his bloody quill raised, poised to ask if your blood oaths have held true. Stay the course, and keep writing fresh stories!

Your Monday prompt is: 

19B8DFBA 9888 4E28 A698 C64057EB18BF

Have at it!

Beastmaster Moon

This is a beautiful prompt. My commitment for November:

1. KYD -- Cursed Moon Rising prompt and Alien Petroglyphs prompt

2. Finished NaNoWriMo--included full outline of novel and about a fifteen chapters (Logged c. 50900 words for the month)

3. Working on my entry for WotF.

4. No subs to markets yet, but will do three in December. I have a couple of stories coming along, and so should have the WotF entry and three subs to reputable markets ready on time. Will be a slog, but am keen to see it done.

5. Got to have an excellent conversation with the lovely @ajzach.

I am going on family holiday until 7th. Definitely need the break. 😀

Posted : November 30, 2021 2:03 am
Jarrodkwilliams
(@jarrodkwilliams)
Bronze Member

For November I completed 2 KYDs and finished a 3400 word story. I also submitted a piece to DreamForge. I outlined another story and will start writing on it in December. 

V38 Q4: HM
V39 Q1: SHM
V39 Q2: HM
V39 Q3: RWC
V39 Q4: HM
V40 Q1: HM
V40 Q2: HM
V40 Q3: HM
V40 Q4: Submitted

Posted : November 30, 2021 8:45 am
David Hankins, Henckel, Danuta Raine and 1 people reacted
Akis Linardos
(@linardos)
Bronze Member

For November:

1. I wrote a fresh 7000 word story (planned for WoTF Q1 entry)
  2. Did one KYD (City turned to Ashes prompt)
  3. Subbed various stories and flash pieces to about 10-15 (lost count) pro-paying markets

I also had to edit 4 stories from previous months, attend FyreCon, study The Emotional Craft of Fiction etc etc. typing  

Posted : November 30, 2021 11:32 am
Henckel, Danuta Raine, Scott_M_Sands and 2 people reacted
Ania L.
(@anial)
Advanced Member

November: A KYD (alien petroglyphs), 4-5 submissions to pro-markets, a 3k story draft and started editing an old story for Q1!

Posted : November 30, 2021 12:19 pm
Henckel, Danuta Raine, David Hankins and 1 people reacted
Physa/ Guthington/ Amy
(@physa)
Gold Star Member

For November:

• I submitted my Q3 story to Dreamforge after an edit job. (still have 2 to go.. so thinking this will happen in December).
  • I did a KYD over the prompt: City turned to ash.
  • I wrote a short story of ~3,000 words. Not my best, but it is a story.
  • I incorporated comments on a chapter 1 of a book 2.
  • I plan to submit a Q1 story by December 31. Not sure what the story will be, but I have a month to figure it out.
  • I went to fyrecon (thanks to the magic of Zoom) and attended Moon's nail beginning/ hammer endings workshop.
  • I've been keeping up with my 318R assignments (for the most part).

Side note. I'm glad November is coming to an end. It's been a lot of "no" and not much "vember". Looking forward to having more writing time in December.

WOTF results:
Vol 41: Q1 HM, Q2 P
running totals to date:
WOTF: 6 Rs, 3 RWCs. 6 HMs
IOTF: 3 Rs, 3 HMs
Check out my new website: https://www.amyrwethingtonwriterofspeculativeworlds.com/
According to Winston Churchill, "success is going from failure to failure with enthusiasm"
Somehow I lost my Guthington profile, but it's me. Amy Wethington = Guthington = Physa

Posted : November 30, 2021 12:25 pm
crlisle, Henckel, Danuta Raine and 3 people reacted
Scott_M_Sands
(@scott_m_sands)
Gold Member

@physa 

Agreed, Amy.

Looking forward to more 'vember in December. 

Posted : November 30, 2021 3:15 pm
Yelena
(@scribblesatdusk)
Silver Member

I too did what needed doing (my KYD was on the state mind bleach prompt). Question: we only need to submit to a non-wotf every quarter. Is that every 3 months?

V36:Q3 HM V37: Q3 R, Q4 SHM V38: R,HM, F, HM V39: HM, SHM, SHM, SHM V40: SF, RWC, ?

Posted : November 30, 2021 3:30 pm
Page 141 / 176
Share: