Wulf Moon's SUPER S...

Notifications
Clear all

Wulf Moon's SUPER SECRETS Workshop & Challenge!

5,256 Posts
133 Users
4328 Likes
879.5 K Views
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Posted by: @scott_m_sands

@wulfmoon 
Listening to the podcast with Moon and Brittany today. A great listen, very encouraging.

buddies

Thanks, Scott. Brittany had a great idea with that one. I've been to many cons and have never heard a panel on mentors and how to find them! They really can make a difference in your learning curve! Here's the link again so workshop members don't miss it. And all of you are in the Super Secrets! Considered yourself mentored! Smile

Brittany Rainsdon & Wulf Moon Facebook

149. The Value of Mentors with Wulf Moon and Brittany Rainsdon by Writers & Illustrators of the Future Podcast (soundcloud.com)

Click here to JOIN THE WULF PACK!
"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : November 11, 2021 8:08 pm
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Gold Star Member

Posted by: @scott_m_sands

@wulfmoon 
Listening to the podcast with Moon and Brittany today. A great listen, very encouraging.

buddies

Finished listening to the podcast yesterday. Powerful stuff! I especially appreciated the message to those out there struggling to find mentorship. Don’t lose heart, actively engage in your craft, be teachable, and reach back for those coming behind you. 

My phone kept messing up and starting at the beginning every time I got into the car, so I also listened to large segments a second time at double speed. Wulf and Brittany did fantastic impressions of Alvin and the Chipmunks. 🤣

Death and the Taxman, my WotF V39 winning story is now a novel available for pre-order! (Click Here >). The Taxman is Coming on Tax Day (Apr 15th) 2024!

Subscribe to The Lost Bard's Letter at www.davidhankins.com and receive an exclusive story!

New Releases:
"Milo Piper's Breakout Single that Ended the Rat War" in LTUE's Troubadours and Space Princesses anthology.
"Felix and the Flamingo" in Escape Pod.
"The Ghosts of Hart's Gambit" in Renaissance Press's There's No Place anthology.
"The Devil's Foot Locker" in Amazing Stories

Posted : November 12, 2021 12:19 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

20211018 142033

Aww, this was a nice shout out from John Goodwin about the Writers of the Future Forum. I was at the Books A Million online release event, but had to leave after an hour for another meeting. They sent me this clip from it today! I advise you to listen to it, in fact, for you workshop members it's an ASSIGNMENT. There's a secret in here about what Dave seeks for the current anthologies. Every one of you should pay close attention and make sure your upcoming entries have their best chance possible by hitting Dave's special target.

Fortune favor the brave ... and the studious!  https://youtu.be/YFVJWwmib1A?t=4049

Beastmaster Moon   

"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : November 12, 2021 4:04 pm
crlisle
(@crlisle)
Gold Member

I think my 3rd quarter entry comes close to what David wants. But we will see. Wowsa! He was really specific about what he is looking for. Come on everybody let's swamp him with what he wants.  Lol

Moon, you deserve the shout out. You have gone above and beyond the requirements of moderating this Forum. I know your help here has changed my life.

Vol. 36: 3rd -- R, 4th -- R
Vol. 37: 1st -- R, 2nd -- HM, 3rd -- HM, 4th -- SHM
Vol. 38: 1st -- HM, 2nd -- HM, 3rd -- HM, 4th -- HM
Vol. 39: 1st -- SHM, 2nd -- RWC, 3rd -- RWC, 4th -- HM
Vol. 40: 1st -- HM, 2nd -- R, 3rd -- RWC, 4th -- R
Vol. 41: 1st - R, 2nd -- pending, 3rd -- WIP

"Never give up! Never surrender!" -- Galaxy Quest

Posted : November 12, 2021 5:23 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Posted by: @crlisle

I think my 3rd quarter entry comes close to what David wants. But we will see. Wowsa! He was really specific about what he is looking for. Come on everybody let's swamp him with what he wants.  Lol

Moon, you deserve the shout out. You have gone above and beyond the requirements of moderating this Forum. I know your help here has changed my life.

Thank you, Candice. You’ve done the work, listened to my advice, and went from unpublished to published to even pro-published writer in record time! This makes me very happy. I donate my time moderating the Forum because I love this Contest. But I also love helping aspiring writers figure out how to craft stories that sell, which means their stories and ideas will be read by a wider audience. That is both validating and fulfilling for writers. Most of us have a strong desire to share our visions with the world. Helping you get to that point is why I added this thread to the Forum. 

Go forth and conquer!

Beastmaster Moon

Posted : November 13, 2021 12:22 pm
David Hankins, Scott_M_Sands, crlisle and 1 people reacted
Yelena
(@scribblesatdusk)
Silver Member

I don't know if my submissions have been hitting Dave's desires. I always care about trying to hone in on a specific moral or ethical dilemma but I'm not sure I always go about it in a positive way. It is definitely something I'll change for submissions going forward. I think also not being vague about it or beating around the fence is another change I can make. It's interesting, I think my one SHM actually has the elements of what Dave was looking for. I really should do a rewrite of that one of these days. 

V36:Q3 HM V37: Q3 R, Q4 SHM V38: R,HM, F, HM V39: HM, SHM, SHM, SHM V40: SF, RWC, ?

Posted : November 13, 2021 9:10 pm
RETreasure and Wulf Moon reacted
Liz Busby
(@lizbusby)
Advanced Member

Found this great Twitter thread on how to do short story submissions. Thought I'd share:

https://twitter.com/Wiswell/status/1458110082865143810?t=Jor8ohF-J37YIKBEuUlddg&s=19

book reviews and writerly thoughts on my blog: www.lizbusby.com
featured on episode 93 of the WotF podcast

Results
V40: HM -
V39: - HM - RWC

Published Stories
"The 37th Ward Relief Society Leftovers Exchange" - religious magical realism story about a different kind of pot luck; winner in the "Saints, Spells, and Starships" contest
"Winter Fog" - Christmas ghost story about a mother and daughter in the Pacific Northwest

Posted : November 13, 2021 9:18 pm
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Platinum Member

Posted by: @scribblesatdusk

I don't know if my submissions have been hitting Dave's desires. I always care about trying to hone in on a specific moral or ethical dilemma but I'm not sure I always go about it in a positive way. It is definitely something I'll change for submissions going forward. I think also not being vague about it or beating around the fence is another change I can make. It's interesting, I think my one SHM actually has the elements of what Dave was looking for. I really should do a rewrite of that one of these days. 

You don't necessarily have to aim for completely positive--Dave is a big fan of bittersweet endings. The more nuanced a story's emotional impact, the more likely it is to catch his attention--though he definitely enjoys an element of hope, whenever possible. The underlying messages of the stories in WotF tend to be positive, even though some of the stories themselves are also very sad.

If you're interested in a critique of that SHM with an eye toward things that might help on a potential resubmission, hit me up via PM. smiley I'll freely admit I've got a lot going on right now, so I might not get the chance to read it immediately, but I should have time to look it over before the end of the month.

If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, SF, SHM, 1st Place (Q2 V38)
Ticknor Tales
Twitter
4th and Starlight: e-book | paperback

Posted : November 14, 2021 6:21 am
AliciaCay and RETreasure reacted
empressed
(@empressed)
Silver Member

@wulfmoon "They really can make a difference." 

LOL. That's the understatement of my life.

Victoria Dixon
Author of Mourn Their Courage
a 2010 Sandy Writing Contest Finalist
A Tribble Ate My Lunch: a Star Trek Cookbook (unpublished)
R=24
HM= 8
SHM=4
Finalist=1

Posted : November 14, 2021 8:26 am
Wulf Moon reacted
Physa/ Guthington/ Amy
(@physa)
Gold Star Member

@crlisle keeping my fingers crossed for your Q3 story to do well! My goal is simply to break my straight R streak. My Q3 story is meant to hit the 7 point plot with heart's desire. The ending is sort of positive, but is also a commentary on human nature. Maybe results will come this week... If I were a judge, I'd like the results to come before Thanksgiving so I could relax and enjoy family and friends. Anyway... nninn as they say. Thursday is coming!

WOTF results:
Vol 41: Q1 HM, Q2 P
running totals to date:
WOTF: 6 Rs, 3 RWCs. 6 HMs
IOTF: 3 Rs, 3 HMs
Check out my new website: https://www.amyrwethingtonwriterofspeculativeworlds.com/
According to Winston Churchill, "success is going from failure to failure with enthusiasm"
Somehow I lost my Guthington profile, but it's me. Amy Wethington = Guthington = Physa

Posted : November 14, 2021 11:44 am
crlisle and Wulf Moon reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Scot Noel

Wowsa! Scot Noel, WotF winner and editor at DreamForge Anvil magazine, just shared his notes on two of the panels we'll be together on at Fyrecon Online this upcoming week. So good! Will you be there? Don't miss out on these! Register for the 4-day convention, or take a workshop and registration is included in the master workshop's price! Here's two classes included with general admission you won't want to miss! And if you're an artist or graphic designer, Jane Noel has her panels, too! Here's the ones with Scot to give you the scoop!

1. How to Make the Editor Fall in Love with Your Story.

1 Hour Writing Class
Room: Writing Zoom 2
November 19, 2021, 4:00 PM to 4:50 PM Mountain Time at Fyrecon 5

This covers everything Scot looks for when choosing a story for DreamForge. I'll add a few things we look for at Future-SF. Whenever you get an opportunity for an editor to tell you in real time what they currently seek, grab that chance. Each magazine issue is a moving target. This class gives you actionable intel to hit the mark!

2. DOH! Common Mistakes Editors See and How to Easily Avoid Them

2 Hour Writing Round Table
November 20, 2021, 12:00 PM to 12:50 PM Mountain Time at Fyrecon 5
Presented by: Wulf Moon, Scot Noel

Tired of rejections? Wondering how to get past first readers and up to the editors that can buy and publish your stories? There are common errors hopeful writers make again and again that cause stories to be rejected. Learn how to avoid them! Cast off dead weight and soar!

Joni Labaqui will also be conducting a panel on Writers and Illustrators of the Future, with the opportunity to ask questions to past winners. Don't miss this opportunity to hear the latest info and to get your specific questions answered from the source, all from the convenience of your own home!

See you at Fyrecon this week!

General convention info: https://www.fyrecon.com/
Master workshop info: https://www.fyrecon.com/master-classes/

Posted : November 14, 2021 3:09 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Your Monday writing prompt:

”The State was a machine that sucked up memory and bleached it white.”—Ai Weiwei, artist, 1000 Years of Joys and Sorrows

Keep crafting those KYDs! And don’t forget to send your stories out to other markets in addition to WotF. Meeting the requirements keeps you in the workshop! There’s a reason you chose to take this year’s challenge on, and asked for accountability. It helps you reach your writing goals!

Keep up the good work. 

John Goodwin asked me to share the mentoring podcast everywhere. So I’m sharing it here again. If you’d like to share it on your social media, I’m sure he’d be happy. If you can subscribe to the podcast on SoundCloud, he’d be even happier! Let’s get his subscriber numbers up. His podcast is most worthy. Cheers!

https://soundcloud.com/writersofthefuture/149-the-value-of-mentors-with-wulf-moon-and-brittany-rainsdon

Posted : November 15, 2021 10:20 am
Ania L.
(@anial)
Advanced Member

Oh, oh, I'm also still in for the challenge! I have a 3000+ chapter that might be a first chapter or a long short story, still working on it, and a KYD I submitted to Apex for the horror story contest! 

Posted : November 15, 2021 9:51 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Posted by: @anial

Oh, oh, I'm also still in for the challenge! I have a 3000+ chapter that might be a first chapter or a long short story, still working on it, and a KYD I submitted to Apex for the horror story contest! 

Good to hear, Ania! Novel chapters count! David will amend the Super Secrets Year 4 roster. I’m happy to hear you’re writing, doing KYDs, and sending stories out to market!

Me? I’m prepping four 4-hour and 5-hour master workshops for Fyrecon this week, plus my general con classes. This is a killer week time wise for me. See you all next week! Unless you’re coming to Fyrecon—it’s online again, how cool is that? In that case, I’ll see you there!

Cheers!

Posted : November 16, 2021 11:06 am
AliciaCay
(@aliciacay)
Silver Member

Posted by: @wulfmoon
Scot Noel

Wowsa! Scot Noel, WotF winner and editor at DreamForge Anvil magazine, just shared his notes on two of the panels we'll be together on at Fyrecon Online this upcoming week. So good! Will you be there? Don't miss out on these! Register for the 4-day convention, or take a workshop and registration is included in the master workshop's price! Here's two classes included with general admission you won't want to miss! And if you're an artist or graphic designer, Jane Noel has her panels, too! Here's the ones with Scot to give you the scoop!

1. How to Make the Editor Fall in Love with Your Story.

1 Hour Writing Class
November 19, 2021, 4:00 PM to 4:50 PM Mountain Time at Fyrecon 5

This covers everything Scot looks for when choosing a story for DreamForge. I'll add a few things we look for at Future-SF. Whenever you get an opportunity for an editor to tell you in real time what they currently seek, grab that chance. Each magazine issue is a moving target. This class gives you actionable intel to hit the mark!

2. DOH! Common Mistakes Editors See and How to Easily Avoid Them

2 Hour Writing Round Table
November 20, 2021, 12:00 PM to 12:50 PM Mountain Time at Fyrecon 5
Presented by: Wulf Moon, Scot Noel

Tired of rejections? Wondering how to get past first readers and up to the editors that can buy and publish your stories? There are common errors hopeful writers make again and again that cause stories to be rejected. Learn how to avoid them! Cast off dead weight and soar!

Joni Labaqui will also be conducting a panel on Writers and Illustrators of the Future, with the opportunity to ask questions to past winners. Don't miss this opportunity to hear the latest info and to get your specific questions answered from the source, all from the convenience of your own home!

See you at Fyrecon this week!

General convention info: https://www.fyrecon.com/
Master workshop info: https://www.fyrecon.com/master-classes/

Wow—Both of these classes look like a lot of fun!

I was flipping through Fyrecon's schedule and all the guests they had lined up (holy moly!), and I saw a whole bunch of familiar faces! Scot Noel and Wulf Moon are not the only Writers of the Future winners to be taking part in Fyrecon. Keep your eyes peeled for a bunch of fabulous previous WotF winners making appearances as Fyrecon guests.

Storm Humbert
Wulf Moon
Leah Ning
Scot Noel
Brittany Rainsdon
Martin L. Shoemaker (or evil Martin, you never know which'll show 😉 )
Brad R. Torgesen

and also: 

The forums own: RJK Lee, and a WotF Finalist: Lou J Berger (he's a local Denverite and a big-hearted, funny guy. He's doing an instant slush pile session, and you can submit your stories to him to possibly be selected. I'm not sure when the cut-off-date/time is for that, but I saw details on his post on Fyrecon's FB page).

I attended Fyrecon last year as well, and the organizers did such a fantastic job! It was a lot of fun too, even waiting in the waiting room to be assigned, the staff in there were so friendly, and the panels were, imo, top-notch!

Have fun all, and I hope this con helps to reinvigorate and inspire everyone in their own writing. Keep going ♥ 

~A.

P.S. If anyone notices that I missed a WotF winner, would you comment or pm me, please. I'll add them to the list. We want everyone to get a shout-out from all of us over here supporting them.

fistinair clapper  

V32: HM (Q4)
V33: HM, HM, SHM, HM
V34: R, R, HM, HM
V35: HM, HM, R, HM
V36: R, R, SHM, R
V37: SHM, FINALIST, HM, SHM
V38: SF, X, SHM, SHM
V39: SHM, tbd, tbd
https://aliciacay.com

Posted : November 17, 2021 1:39 am
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Gold Star Member

@aliciacay Fyrecon's gonna be EPIC! See ya there!

Death and the Taxman, my WotF V39 winning story is now a novel available for pre-order! (Click Here >). The Taxman is Coming on Tax Day (Apr 15th) 2024!

Subscribe to The Lost Bard's Letter at www.davidhankins.com and receive an exclusive story!

New Releases:
"Milo Piper's Breakout Single that Ended the Rat War" in LTUE's Troubadours and Space Princesses anthology.
"The Ghosts of Hart's Gambit" in Renaissance Press's There's No Place anthology.

Posted : November 17, 2021 6:25 am
AliciaCay reacted
(@morgan-broadhead)
Gold Member

Is Fyrecon 100% online? Or is it being held physically somewhere to attend in person?

"You can either sit here and write, or you can sit here and do nothing. But you can’t sit here and do anything else."
— Neil Gaiman, Masterclass

Drop me a line at https://morganbroadhead.com
SFx1
HMx4
R/RWCx5

Posted : November 17, 2021 6:44 am
Physa/ Guthington/ Amy
(@physa)
Gold Star Member

@morgan-broadhead this year's fyrecon will be like last year's... 100% online. If you see a masterclass you like, you can register for that and automatically be registered for the general session. OR... you can just register for the general session only (a tad cheaper).

They offer breakout rooms where folks can chat (as if they were at a bar or lounge area between sessions or after sessions). You can see the names of the folks in each room before joining the room. And they give each room a name of some sort that also helps one select where to go.

At some point, you'll get "zoomed" out, but last year's fyrecon was well done and I expect this year's will be even more organized.

Last I looked, I didn't notice any sold out master classes so I think you still have your pick. Last year I did two masters classes. This year I'm doing one.

Hope to "see" you there!

Amy

WOTF results:
running totals to date:
Check out my new website: https://www.amyrwethingtonwriterofspeculativeworlds.com/
According to Winston Churchill, "success is going from failure to failure with enthusiasm"
Somehow I lost my Guthington profile, but it's me. Amy Wethington = Guthington = Physa

Posted : November 17, 2021 6:52 am
AliciaCay, David Hankins, Wulf Moon and 1 people reacted
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Gold Star Member

The Keeper of Records glanced up from his feeble scribblings as the official scroll beside him glowed blood red. Another challenge member had reported in. He reached for the scroll, then paused as it flashed twice. Two reports! A banner day indeed. He unrolled the scroll and read two new names scrawled in blood upon the stained parchment.

@lizbusby 

@anial

He grinned, secured the scroll, and resumed writing.

New Releases:

Posted : November 17, 2021 6:56 am
AliciaCay and Wulf Moon reacted
Scott_M_Sands
(@scott_m_sands)
Gold Member

@aliciacay 

very much looking forward to several of the classes run by folk you mentioned. Getting settled in for all four days! Gonna be good!

I might ask - due to the time difference, I'm not able to attend the 'DOH! Common Mistakes Editors See and How to Easily Avoid Them' class with Wonderful Wulf and Super Scot. If anyone is able to send me their notes, I'd appreciate it. Never as good as the real deal of course, but I'll take anything I can get.

"If writing is easy, you're doing it wrong." -Bryan Hutchinson
V36-37: R x6
V38: R, HM, R, HM
V39: HM, HM, HM, HM
V40: HM

Posted : November 18, 2021 4:18 am
Physa/ Guthington/ Amy
(@physa)
Gold Star Member

Yay, it's fyrecon and the opportunity to learn new writing tricks! woohoo  

WOTF results:
running totals to date:

Posted : November 18, 2021 6:20 am
babooher, David Hankins, Wulf Moon and 2 people reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

One of our dear Super Secrets Year 4 members wrote this to me today after her boss wouldn’t let her off work to attend my Fyrecon master workshops. It’s encouraging to our group, so I’ll share, with her permission:

“Yes, please feel free to share whatever I write that will help other writers find your classes and anything else you're doing. I know you'll keep us informed on the kickstarter. I'm very excited about this. These books will be able to reach so many writers who need these words of practical advice and also give them hope that they can do this. And for those who can't attend your classes (for whatever reason) the books will be a creative lifeline. I know that being a part of the Wulf Pack has been a real lifeline for me and also connecting with the WOTF forum and participating in the Vol 39 challenge has given me the structure and motivation I was lacking. Thanks so much!!!”

This is why I created this workshop. Thank you for joining, enrolled Year 4 Challenge Beasties! May the encouragement here prove a real lifeline for you as well!

And if you want the spot she sadly could not take, there’s only two left on tonight’s “Nail Your Openings, Hammer Your Endings” master workshop. You can still soak up the knowledge. Con master Jenna said she’s keeping it open right up until it starts at 6 pm MTN. Link in my signature. I know I’ll see many of you there! And at the entire event! Cheers!

Posted : November 18, 2021 11:32 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Great seeing many of you at my master workshop last night! I’ll see many of you again today at Howling Plots! And don’t miss Scot Noel’s presentation at 4 MTN. He’s going to show you what you need to do to sell a story to DreamForge! And don’t miss the WotF presentation Saturday night! See you there!

Posted : November 19, 2021 8:33 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

My presentations and master workshop today at Fyrecon:

”Perseverance Yields Rewards.” A motivational speech that starts at 10 MTN.

”DOH! Common Mistakes Editors See and How to Easily Avoid Them.” A presentation with DreamForge editor Scot Noel at noon MTN.

Master Workshop: “How to Write Winning Stories That Take the Gold.” 2 PM MTN.

And we’ll all be at Joni and Dave’s presentation: “Level Up.” Featuring a cast of current winners. 8 PM MTN.

See many of you there! Happy Fyrecon!

Posted : November 20, 2021 7:35 am
Scott_M_Sands
(@scott_m_sands)
Gold Member

One day left of Fyrecon, folks! Let's get into it!

It's already been so great with the workshops, classes and social interactions (which sounds weird for an online con, but it's true!)

Learning a lot.

Posted : November 21, 2021 5:01 am
Yelena
(@scribblesatdusk)
Silver Member

Fyrecon has been amazing. I even went to barcon. ME! Super awkward, me, and I had a blast! But really it's very different being in an atmosphere of like-minded writers. I took this thinking it was just for Wulf Moon's class, I wasn't even sure how much I'd be able to take the other classes with work and life, but they have all been great. For Wulf's class, it was something else being able to directly interact with the man, the legend, the one and only Wulf. I took I think 6+ pages of notes, I'll need to go back and check. It was really cool seeing some people from this forum also. It was a tough decision for me personally debating on spending the money for the con, especially when I've made little money writing. My conclusion now is it's really a steal for how much you get (even if you can only attend one master class).

V36:Q3 HM V37: Q3 R, Q4 SHM V38: R,HM, F, HM V39: HM, SHM, SHM, SHM V40: SF, RWC, ?

Posted : November 21, 2021 6:20 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Fyrecon has been amazing. I even went to barcon. ME! Super awkward, me, and I had a blast! But really it's very different being in an atmosphere of like-minded writers. I took this thinking it was just for Wulf Moon's class, I wasn't even sure how much I'd be able to take the other classes with work and life, but they have all been great. For Wulf's class, it was something else being able to directly interact with the man, the legend, the one and only Wulf. I took I think 6+ pages of notes, I'll need to go back and check. It was really cool seeing some people from this forum also. It was a tough decision for me personally debating on spending the money for the con, especially when I've made little money writing. My conclusion now is it's really a steal for how much you get (even if you can only attend one master class).

Well that was super sweet of you, scribblesatdusk. Thank you very much, it was great to finally meet you, even virtually! Im glad you’re getting so much out of our friendly con!

I’ll be seeing more of you today in my Kill Your Darlings master workshop. There’s still time to sign up and join us! Learn the exercise that’s helped craft so many winning stories! Including Zeet’s Mike Resnick award winner, and Brit’s story in Best of Deep Magic! See you there!

Posted : November 21, 2021 8:35 am
MountainSpud, David Hankins, Candy Ever and 2 people reacted
Scott_M_Sands
(@scott_m_sands)
Gold Member

@scribblesatdusk 

Agreed. The masterclasses were really helpful for catching some inside tips. The other classes were great, too. There was a really nice variety of topics and skills to look at. For the price? A bargain, plain and simple.

By far the best part for me were the little conversations. Chatting with previous winners, judges, other successful writers and people from this forum that I've messaged (or commented on their posts) but never actually seen. Lots of wonderful, genuine conversation. Mixing it up with other writers in real time-that made Fyrecon worth it for me.

Posted : November 21, 2021 9:13 pm
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Gold Star Member

I’m so glad you came to Fyrecon! This was my first con and I loved it! My brain’s exhausted, but in a good way—overflowing with ideas and tips and ways to improve my craft. It was so cool hanging out and chatting with like minded people that love to geek out about writing, and favorite authors, and learning different ways to approach stories. 

Now to apply everything I learned so I can win this little contest I’ve been entering… 

grinning

New Releases:

Posted : November 22, 2021 5:42 am
N.V. Haskell, AliciaCay, Scott_M_Sands and 3 people reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Great seeing many of you at Fyrecon, and a bunch of WotF and IotF winners as well!

Your Monday prompt is: 

Alien petroglyphs.

Happy writing! Don’t forget your monthly and quarterly requirements!

Cheers!

Beastmaster Moon

Posted : November 22, 2021 11:45 am
Page 140 / 176
Share: