Notifications
Clear all

Wulf Moon's SUPER SECRETS Workshop & Challenge!

Page 113 / 134

Wulf Moon
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Member Moderator

Crystal, got your Q4 sub down! Nice job! Smile
Retro: what time zone are you in? And follow-up, are you somewhere that doesn't do daylight savings? Because that could explain the hour discrepancy. The zoom meeting did start at 5pm mountain time (so I signed in at 7pm eastern). I'm really sorry you missed it, but super appreciate you coming! There's a full recording on their YouTube channel, here: https://youtu.be/mwI-qixGYwg if you'd like to watch!

I encourage each of you to watch that ASAP.

Beastmaster Moon

JOIN THE WULF PACK! http://the super secrets.com
"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" wins WRITERS OF THE FUTURE VOL. 35 & BEST SF&F STORY OF 2019. Order WotF Volume 35 HERE!
“Muzik Man" in Deep Magic Fall 2020 wins BEST SF&F STORY of 2020
NEW! Don't miss the Super Secret "Character Agency: I Need a Hero!" in DreamForge Anvil Magazine!
JUST RELEASED! BEST OF DEEP MAGIC ANTHOLOGY TWO! Three Super Secrets Workshop members made it into this best of the best anthology! KD Julicher, Brittany Rainsdon, and some guy named Wulf Moon. Click HERE to get yours!
NEXT MASTER CLASSES AT FYRECON ONLINE, NOV. 18-21ST. Click HERE before they are sold out once again!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 22, 2020 6:30 am
ZeeTeeBeeZ
(@zeeteebeez)
Bronze Star Member

Crystal, got your Q4 sub down! Nice job! Smile
Retro: what time zone are you in? And follow-up, are you somewhere that doesn't do daylight savings? Because that could explain the hour discrepancy. The zoom meeting did start at 5pm mountain time (so I signed in at 7pm eastern). I'm really sorry you missed it, but super appreciate you coming! There's a full recording on their YouTube channel, here: https://youtu.be/mwI-qixGYwg if you'd like to watch!

I encourage each of you to watch that ASAP.

Beastmaster Moon

I was working during the live session but I watched the recording yesterday. Great stuff!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 23, 2020 3:54 am
ZeeTeeBeeZ
(@zeeteebeez)
Bronze Star Member

Reporting in:

Q4 submission official. Trying to finish up story #2 now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 25, 2020 5:02 am
SwiftPotato
(@swiftpotato)
Silver Star Member

Nice job, zeet! Got your Q4 down. Best of luck with story number two!

Other folks, don't forget to report! Five days left! We're getting down to the wire!

R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!
Stories in Apocalyptic, Cossmass Infinities, and Podcastle

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 25, 2020 6:57 am
SwiftPotato
(@swiftpotato)
Silver Star Member

Good morning, beasties! At long last, it's time for the last Monday prompt of the volume 37 year. I hope you're all doing well on your stories for the quarter, and please don't forget to report in!

Today's Monday prompt is: ALONE, SURROUNDED.

R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 28, 2020 12:30 am
Wulf Moon
(@wulfmoon)

Thanks for posting the prompt, Keeper of Records!

The end of the Super Secrets’ year is before us! Your blood oath demands it’s price. Don’t miss submitting your Q4 on the 30th. And have you met this quarter's challenge requiem, I mean, requirements? Get your deets posted here, so our Keeper of Records can add them to the Wall of Fame!

All the beast!

Beastmaster Moon

"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" wins WRITERS OF THE FUTURE VOL. 35 & BEST SF&F STORY OF 2019. Order WotF Volume 35 HERE!
NEW! Don't miss the Super Secret "Character Agency: I Need a Hero!" in DreamForge Anvil Magazine!
JUST RELEASED! BEST OF DEEP MAGIC ANTHOLOGY TWO! Three Super Secrets Workshop members made it into this best of the best anthology! KD Julicher, Brittany Rainsdon, and some guy named Wulf Moon. Click HERE to get yours!
NEXT MASTER CLASSES AT FYRECON ONLINE, NOV. 18-21ST. Click HERE before they are sold out once again!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 28, 2020 4:37 am
Wulf Moon
(@wulfmoon)

Q4. I've seen the handwriting on the wall (penmanship, people!). It's going to be a clash of the Titans! So put on your gloves and get in the ring! This is what you've been training for! Who will be the next WORLD CHAMPION?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 28, 2020 1:41 pm
Wulf Moon
(@wulfmoon)

One final manuscript check for you. TENSION! TENSION!! TENSION!!!

This is going to be your year end Hidden Super Secret BONUS. Meet the reqs for the year, your blood oath delivers unto you a lifesaving prize. I'll show you tricks to make your story reach up and grab your readers' hearts and minds and never let them go ... well, until you DASH them upon the ROCKS of your ENDING. Can you hear that shriek? That is YOU, the challenge beastie, sweeping down from the heights upon the unsuspecting masses!

They'll never know what hit them.

All the beast!

Beastmaster Moon

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 29, 2020 5:51 am
AjZach
(@ajzach)
Bronze Member

Reporting in:

I have submitted my story to WOTF, and just submitted my second fresh story for the quarter. I am 12/12 for the flash challenge as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 29, 2020 8:43 am
SwiftPotato
(@swiftpotato)
Silver Star Member

Nice job, AjZach! Got you down!

R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 29, 2020 12:01 pm
Henckel
(@henckel)
Silver Member

Just checking in. I've submitted my non-WOTF story for the quarter (last month). And, I will submit my WOTF entry tomorrow before the deadline (tomorrow).

I'm happy with my Q4 sub, but I'm obsessing over the commas. Strunk & White tell me one thing while Purdue Owl tells me another.

If, I dare say, I cannot get consistent advice, that is to say, advice that aligns, then I may, admittingly, go crazy with commas, commas (Oxford), and commas.

(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – R
(2020) V37 Q2 – HM
(2020) V37 Q3 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q4 – Finalist
(2021) V38 Q1 – Semi-finalist
(2021) V38 Q2 – SHM
(2021) V38 Q3 – tba

Coolest Achievements
(2019) Published in Escape Anthology
(2020) Published in Sci-Fi Lampoon
(2020) V37 Q4 – Finalist
(2020) Dream Foundry - Shortlisted
(2021) Mike Resnick Memorial Award - 3rd Place winner!!! (to be published)

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 29, 2020 3:20 pm
SwiftPotato
(@swiftpotato)
Silver Star Member

Got your non-WotF down, Henckel! Good going!

Re: commas, I don't think anyone will so be grumpy about your choice to use or not use Oxford commas that it'll be the last straw that gets you rejected! IME, it's something that editors will change if they need/want to after the story gets accepted. I'm totally a staunch Oxford comma person, though. Haha.

R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2020 1:01 am
RETreasure
(@rschibler)
Silver Star Member

Reporting in - I subbed a fresh story to WotF and a fresh story to ZNB's Derelict Anthology. Thanks for keeping track, SwiftPotate!

V34: R,HM,R
V35: HM,R,R,HM
V36: R,HM,HM,SHM
V37: HM,SF,SHM,SHM
V38: F, SHM, P, P
Available for critiques - PM for availability.
www.rebeccaetreasure.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2020 1:11 am
SwiftPotato
(@swiftpotato)
Silver Star Member

Got you down, Becky! Nicely done Smile

R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2020 2:46 am
rjklee
(@rjklee)
Bronze Star Member

Reporting in - submitted my story to the 4th quarter of WotF.

As for the other goals: I already submitted other fresh stories this quarter, and I went past the 12 flash goal earlier this quarter (another fresh one written and submitted this month).

R.J.K. Lee
WotF 2015-present: HMx6 SHMx1
My blog has monthly lists of upcoming deadlines and submission windows; let them motivate you to be more productive: https://figmentsdiehard.blogspot.com/
Give a listen to my creepy reading of my original flash fiction piece on the December 2020 episode of the Weird Christmas Podcast at the 22:10 mark: https://weirdchristmas.com/2020/12/23/weird-xmas-flash-fiction-2020-contest-results/. May Stosh persevere.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2020 3:40 am
SwiftPotato
(@swiftpotato)
Silver Star Member

Nice job, oishisushi! Got you down.

Keep those subs coming, folks! We're almost there!

R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2020 6:32 am
Henckel
(@henckel)
Silver Member

Just checking in. I've now submitted my Q4. Smile
And thanks for the advice, Swiftpotato re commas. When it comes to the oxford comma, I'm good. It's all the others that give me nightmares.

Or I could do like Cormac McCarthy and do away with punctuation completely. Ha! Ha!

(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – R
(2020) V37 Q2 – HM
(2020) V37 Q3 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q4 – Finalist
(2021) V38 Q1 – Semi-finalist
(2021) V38 Q2 – SHM
(2021) V38 Q3 – tba

Coolest Achievements
(2019) Published in Escape Anthology
(2020) Published in Sci-Fi Lampoon
(2020) V37 Q4 – Finalist
(2020) Dream Foundry - Shortlisted
(2021) Mike Resnick Memorial Award - 3rd Place winner!!! (to be published)

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2020 8:11 am
SwiftPotato
(@swiftpotato)
Silver Star Member

Gotcha, Henckel! And yes...commas are good writer nightmare fuel. Smile

R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2020 8:35 am
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Gold Member

I'm in with a fresh story for Q4. In the next hour I'll send my second story to a pro paying market.

Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality-D.R.Sweeney
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
HM-V38/Q1

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2020 10:33 am
Wulf Moon
(@wulfmoon)

Congratulations to each of you making the year end deadline, to taking on this challenge, and special congratulations to those that are crossing the finish line in meeting our workshop's requirements for the year!

Congratulations, Conquerors!

More to come, but give me a chance to take care of those attending my "Secrets of a Howling Good Plot" master class this Saturday. I've been swamped! There's still room for more, but hurry, or THE WAY IS SHUT. Link in my signature.

Very proud of all of you! It's obvious you have worked hard over the course of the year--it shows in your writing!

Really looking forward to Q3 and Q4 results! I've seen what I believe are some winners!

All the beast!

Beastmaster Moon

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 30, 2020 11:25 am
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Gold Member

I have submitted my second recent creation to a pro zine. All caught up with everything, phew.

Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality-D.R.Sweeney
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
HM-V38/Q1

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2020 11:46 am
SwiftPotato
(@swiftpotato)
Silver Star Member

Got you down for both, storysinger! Excellent!

We're so, so close to the end of the year, beasties! Only a few folks left that I don't have down as having submitted. Reminder: if you have not posted here or if I have not replied confirming I have you down, you are not rostered!

Those of you who have already completed your challenge requirements (!!!!), please cheer your fellow challenge beasties on! The finish line is in sight for all of us!

R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2020 1:06 pm
officer
(@officer)
Bronze Star Member

My Q4 WotF entry is submitted! Now to wrap up my second story for the quarter...I'll post again to confirm. It's been an especially busy few months for me, and I'm sorry I wasn't able to keep up with the assignments recently.

Moon--you've been an awesome mentor to all of us, investing so much time both here and outside the forum into helping us grow. Thank you!

I'm so grateful to have participated, both for what I've learned in the process and the friendships I've built along the way. Little did we know that a pandemic would strike, and our writing group here would be one of the few constants in our lives.

But we aren't done! We've built some of the habits to be writers for life.

I'm excited to see the WotF results, and to follow everyone's writing careers.

Best of luck, everyone!
Ari

HM, R, HM, R, R, SHM*, HM, ?, ?
*Finalist, 2021 Baen Fantasy Adventure Award

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2020 2:23 pm
ZeeTeeBeeZ
(@zeeteebeez)
Bronze Star Member

2nd story submitted to a respectable market. Had to put a couple other bigger ideas on the back burner, but excited to write them soon.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2020 3:07 pm
StarReacher
(@angelakayd)
Bronze Star Member

Whew!!

Checking in with 30 minutes of the quarter to spare . . . because apparently I like to terrify myself at the end of each quarter.

Both a fresh submission to WotF as well as a fresh story to Escape Pod (thereby making their deadline as well).

Thanks to everyone who made comments on either one or both stories. I feel good about both.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2020 3:29 pm
SwiftPotato
(@swiftpotato)
Silver Star Member

Got you down, officer, zeeteebeez, and StarReacher!

I'm heading off to bed for the night (it's near midnight where I am), but don't let that stop you from continuing to report. I'll finish rostering in the morning. Almost there, guys! Keep writing! Get those stories in!

R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2020 3:30 pm
Peter_Glen
(@peter_glen)
Bronze Star Member

WD All! I missed the deadline with my story but did manage to get it to first draft, so will have a story for the next quarter. My 2nd market story went out at the start of last month.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2020 10:06 pm
SwiftPotato
(@swiftpotato)
Silver Star Member

Got your second story down, Peter Glen!

R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2020 11:59 pm
Dragonchef
(@dragonchef)
Silver Member

Yo, Swifty-P! Did you ever get me down for Q4 (subbed on 9/09)?

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 1, 2020 1:19 am
SwiftPotato
(@swiftpotato)
Silver Star Member

Yo, Swifty-P! Did you ever get me down for Q4 (subbed on 9/09)?

Hey, Dragonchef! I haven't been rostering folks that weren't in the original call for entries that Moon made at the beginning of the year, because the roster is meant for him to keep track of those people. Very glad you made it into Q4, though (and early at that)! Best of luck! Smile

R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 1, 2020 3:15 am
Page 113 / 134
Share: