Wulf Moon's SUPER S...

Notifications
Clear all

Wulf Moon's SUPER SECRETS Workshop & Challenge!

5,256 Posts
133 Users
4328 Likes
879.5 K Views
(@ajzach)
Bronze Star Member

Thanks for the critique and the tips Wulf!

And congrats on your sale!

V35: R, R, R
V36: R, HM, R, HM
V37: HM, R, SF, HM
V38: HM, HM, HM, SHM
V39: HM, HM, SHM, RWC
V40: HM, SHM, HM, SHM
V41: RWC, ?
"The Soul of Trees" published in Third Flatiron's Things With Feathers: Stories of Hope

Posted : September 11, 2020 10:55 am
(@peter_glen)
Bronze Star Member

Grats on the sale Wulf! Smile

Reporting in that I've sent two new baby Krakens out this quarter to other markets. A third that I decided to hold back as a result of honest crit from the pack on discord (determined only to submit my best work to markets). Working on a fantasy for Q4.

Sorry that I have been scarce here the past couple of weeks.

Posted : September 12, 2020 11:27 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Grats on the sale Wulf! Smile

Reporting in that I've sent two new baby Krakens out this quarter to other markets. A third that I decided to hold back as a result of honest crit from the pack on discord (determined only to submit my best work to markets). Working on a fantasy for Q4.

Sorry that I have been scarce here the past couple of weeks.

Thanks for the conga rats on my sale to Deep Magic, Fall 2020, challenge beasties! I think you're going to love "Muzik Man." I joke that it's my cleverly disguised autobiography, but as my dad says, "Jokes are always fifty-percent serious!"

Peter Glen, you know the drill.:) Get your story in each quarter, no matter what obstacles you face that quarter. This is YOUR Hero's Journey, and you must prevail against all odds! Smile Much success to you, and to all of you. You still have time to write ANOTHER fresh story, and pick the best of the litter to send in. We learn from each story we write!

We share our accomplishments to cheer one another on, so I should share more of mine. I didn't mention I won Second Place in the DREAMFORGE Magazine writing contest, and got some cool prizes. And I just had another acceptance I'm happy about, but can't announce yet. Signing the contract after I write this. But I want to go back to the current Super Secret we are working on, SET. YOUR. STAGE. You see how much time we've spent on this, and how many exercises we've done. That should tell you how important this Secret is. The current exercise on getting as many critical opening elements as we can into one line while still being beautiful, sleek, and intriguing should be its own Super Secret. Your title says what your story is about; your opening line says whether or not you can write.

Let me repeat that. Lean in, let me whisper this in your ear: Your title says what your story is about; your opening line says whether or not you can write. Your reader is going to judge your skill, your voice, and whether or not they wish to proceed by how well you write that first line. A good editor will as well. Sure, you'll probably get the first page or two read as they make sure, but first impressions count, and make no mistake, your TITLE and YOUR OPENING LINE are your first impressions in a short story.

Master this secret. It will be a Super Secret in its own right in the book. If you weren't happy with the opening line you submitted, go read more openings from great writers, and go back to your own drawing board. Practice, practice, practice! Become the Jedi master of The Opening Line!

Carry on. Some of you still owe our workshop your results on the current exercise by Monday. Having vanished is no excuse! Don't let your blood oath at the start of this year's workshop come back to bite you! Smile

And Keeper of the Records? Could you pretty please compose another HTML TOC for me that includes the current Secret along with the locations of the exercises? When you have time, no rush. I appreciate your help!

Okay, line up, Marines! This is the last quarter of the Contest year. This is where the BEST OF THE BEST compete for the gold. Show us what you got after working so hard to improve your writing this year. Don't go home cryin' to your mamas. YOU ARE CHALLENGE BEASTIES!!! GO FORTH TO THE BATTLE! LET'S GET SOME!

Dismissed!

Beastmaster Moon

Click here to JOIN THE WULF PACK!
"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : September 13, 2020 5:43 am
Retropianoplayer
(@retropianoplayer)
Bronze Star Member

Currently working on one of my favorite tasks – writing down pen to paper on draft outline for Quarter 1, Volume 38 story. Usually, this takes a while. I need to make sure A story has similar arcs to B story; Turning Points complicate and reverse the action; First Major Transition Point (Big Event) moves reader to Act 2 and dramatically affects MC's life; Second Transition Point moves MC to Showdown (Crisis); CRISIS forces MC to take FINAL ACTION to resolve story, and DENOUEMENT. First line must imply location, moral and theme. Catalyst must create problem for MC; Big Event MUST ALWAYS happen to MC.

I have until the end of December 2020 to write the story and hit the submit button. So, no pressure.

Best,

Retro wotf022

Posted : September 13, 2020 10:05 am
(@peter_glen)
Bronze Star Member

We share our accomplishments to cheer one another on, so I should share more of mine. I didn't mention I won Second Place in the DREAMFORGE Magazine writing contest, and got some cool prizes. And I just had another acceptance I'm happy about, but can't announce yet. Signing the contract after I write this.

This great news! The Beastmaster is on FIRE! wotf010

Let me repeat that. Lean in, let me whisper this in your ear: Your title says what your story is about; your opening line says whether or not you can write. Your reader is going to judge your skill, your voice, and whether or not they wish to proceed by how well you write that first line. A good editor will as well. Sure, you'll probably get the first page or two read as they make sure, but first impressions count, and make no mistake, your TITLE and YOUR OPENING LINE are your first impressions in a short story.

I just rewrote the first para of my new WIP ... thanks Wulf Smile

Posted : September 13, 2020 1:45 pm
(@ccrawford)
Silver Member

Sliding in just in time with my assignment... Sorry for taking so long!

So here's your assignment, two parts.

1. Give me an opening line from anything you have read that is a wonderful example of this. Cite the work, the author, and the opening line.

"Blood. Each fractal of snow absorbed the warm liquid, melting and mixing with it until the pool surrounded Eiagan's war-torn body."

This is from Eiagan's Winter by M.J. Padgett. It's an indie-published epic fantasy novel. Technically I guess this contains 2 sentences, but the first is only one word, so I counted them together as one.

This sentence contains most of the elements we're looking for: Immediately we are grounded in setting (it's cold, snowing), we know the character, Eiagan, is lying in the snow, injured--and that there's a war happening. Immediate conflict is need for survival.

2. Write your opening line that accomplishes something similar, and post it here.

Here's my attempt, from an opening line based on the Stolen Lullabies KYD prompt:

Kasha blinked against the glare of stagelights as the curtain swept open to a packed house—only one lullaby remained in the locket tucked beneath the neckline of her gown; she had to make it count.

v35: Q4 - HM
V36: R, R, R, R
V37: SHM, HM, HM, SHM
V38: SHM, HM, HM, HM
V39: HM, R, SHM, HM
Indie author of The Lex Chronicles (Legends of Arameth), and the in-progress Leyward Stones series--including my serial, Macchiatos, Faerie Princes, and Other Things That Happen at Midnight, currently available on Kindle Vella.
Website: http://ccrawfordwriting.com. I also have a newsletter and a blog!
Short story "Our Kind" published in DreamForge Anvil, Issue #5, and also "One Shot at Aeden" published in DreamForge Anvil, Issue #7!

Posted : September 13, 2020 2:55 pm
SwiftPotato
(@swiftpotato)
Silver Star Member

Congrats again on Deep Magic and Dreamforge, Moon! Glad you're getting so much good news lately! Smile
Beasties, it's that time again! Today's Monday prompt is: FAMILY RITUAL.

R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!
Stories in Apocalyptic, Cossmass Infinites x2! PodCastle, Spirit Machine; forthcoming in Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Apex Magazine, Human Monsters

Posted : September 14, 2020 12:32 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

And here's CCrawford's excercise result on the Opening Line:

Kasha blinked against the glare of stagelights as the curtain swept open to a packed house—only one lullaby remained in the locket tucked beneath the neckline of her gown; she had to make it count.

This certainly flows, Crystal. Your first word is a proper noun, and your readers will appreciate you immediately named your protagonist. To everyone, think about this. I see too many stories that don't lead with the protagonist, and often don't give the protagonist's name until several, even many pages into the story. When I'm starting into a story, and I'll bet you're the same, I'm thinking what's this story about, and who will it be about? The longer it takes to tell me that, the more irritated I get with the writer. Name your protagonist immediately, give us something to identify them by.

Kasha here has two identifying items: a locket, and a gown. Gown could be anything--be more specific--but we have an opening line with Character accomplished! We have a Setting--the stage lights and packed house tell us we're in a theater. Glare of stage lights also accomplishes a sense of environment and a bit of pressure from that environment. Packed house adds to that. Great details accomplishing two things at once. Well done!

We also had a bit of time period setting, although it's still obscure. These are lights, not lamps, so from Edison's era on. You could cue time period even further by saying halogen stage lights if this was a more modern urban fantasy. Good job on genre cue, a lullaby stored within a locket. This is magic, so we have a fantasy story on our hands. And you even squeezed in a problem, giving the line tension. Only one lullaby remained in her locket, and she had to make it count. You have stakes in your very first sentence! Why does a lullaby hold power? Why must she make it count? We don't know, and these are the kind of questions that hook the reader into reading the next line, and the next. Wonderful!

It's tough to say whether or not this sentence should be split at the em dash--each half could certainly stand on its own. But they flow together quite seamlessly, and that's a craft skill. It works because you made it work. And really, that's all that matters. Smile
I would be intrigued by a line like this, for all the reasons stated above. This has the mark of a professional writer. As an editor, I would read on.

Mission accomplished! Well done, Crystal! I hope you expand this story from your 250. It has a promising opening.

All the beast!

Beastmaster Moon

"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : September 14, 2020 7:42 am
ZeeTeeBeeZ
(@zeeteebeez)
Bronze Star Member

I’m late on stage 5, but here we go.

I chose an opening line from a book and an author you may not have heard of. The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien. “In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.”

It’s a simple line, and the following sentences build off it like steps leading us into the wondrous land called the shire. But this exercise is about the first sentence, so we’ll stick there.
I love this line because of its simplicity, but also for how it gives us some idea of setting, character, and genre. We don’t know specifically who the character is, but we can guess it will be an otherworldly creature called a hobbit. I think because this line is so short, we could lump in another sentence or two, but I won’t analyze further but to say within a very short paragraph we have an excellent understanding about hobbit holes and what type of creature might live within them.

My opening line: Mae’s room upon the Chinese orbital was decorated to look identical to her home back in Guizhou Province, with the only major difference being that her window now overlooked the entirety of China instead of her garden and her late son’s tomb.

9 x HM
V38 Q4 2nd Place
Mike Resnick Memorial Award winner 2021 https://www.galaxysedge.com/
www.ztbright.com

Posted : September 15, 2020 2:49 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

I’m late on stage 5, but here we go.

I chose an opening line from a book and an author you may not have heard of. The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien. “In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.”

It’s a simple line, and the following sentences build off it like steps leading us into the wondrous land called the shire. But this exercise is about the first sentence, so we’ll stick there.
I love this line because of its simplicity, but also for how it gives us some idea of setting, character, and genre. We don’t know specifically who the character is, but we can guess it will be an otherworldly creature called a hobbit. I think because this line is so short, we could lump in another sentence or two, but I won’t analyze further but to say within a very short paragraph we have an excellent understanding about hobbit holes and what type of creature might live within them.

My opening line: Mae’s room upon the Chinese orbital was decorated to look identical to her home back in Guizhou Province, with the only major difference being that her window now overlooked the entirety of China instead of her garden and her late son’s tomb.

Zeet slides in under the wire. It was razor wire, so it was a little dicey. Literally. We are all relieved he is mending well and and it's reported he should be able to get his story in to WotF by the thirtieth. Smile

Zeet, you chose one of my favorite opening lines in a novel. Sometimes, many times, simple is best. Indeed, in the next lines of his opening paragraph, Tolkien gets in the type of hole through contrast, and wraps it up with "...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort." That simple last statement said everything about hobbits as well. His opening sentence makes us wonder what this new creature is; the concluding sentence of his opening paragraph tells us they are all about comfort. We still don't know what they are, but we know they have homes underground, and they aren't nasty, they're nice and comfy. Great choice, and well done on following the rules. We were seeking one opening line for this part of the exercise, but Tolkien did indeed do some beautiful things in the next lines, and he set the stage for his famous hobbits by telling us about their love of home and hearth. And ale. And food. And pipe weed. Smile They are a most likable folk, and the Reader/Hero bond with a character from an entirely new species is created because they are a lot like us--we can identify with them.

As a sidebar, if you want to see me boil, open your movie version of this classic by changing that brilliant opening paragraph, reciting your amended version for the masses as if you could do better than Tolkien. Then, as everyone is murmuring the opening to their favorite children's story of all time in sync with your narrator, pop in your oh so wise changes that will finally, at long last, make Tolkien's not quite right opening soar. There. Wasn't that the way Tolkien should have said it, if he'd had our great team of writers to help him? Aren't we witty? THE HUBRIS!

Ahem. Where was I? Oh, grading papers. I have here this one by Zeet. Why is all this blood on it? No matter, at least he got it in. I do hope the lad is okay. Let's begin:

Mae’s room upon the Chinese orbital was decorated to look identical to her home back in Guizhou Province, with the only major difference being that her window now overlooked the entirety of China instead of her garden and her late son’s tomb.

Here's the good stuff, and there's a lot to chew on here! It opens with Mae, our protagonist. In fact, she's the very first word in the sentence! I'll never fault you for that. We immediately know who to hang our hat on. We also get clear racial identification with Chinese and even Guizhou Province. A sense of age has begun, she is old enough to have had a son, and lost him. It's a good start--we know she's not a young girl--and I suspect in the next line or two we'd be finding out if she's a weathered crone, or a middle-aged woman. We also have interesting details of her present location: she's on a space station, it's run or built by the Chinese, she has a room, and it has a window. Window rooms are expensive on cruise ships, on a space habitat, surely more so. So Mae is not poor--she could also afford a tomb for her son--but she does appear to be alone. That she can look out over a global view of China and think of her son's tomb says she misses him, and implies that she is likely sad. Mood is set for this story. All in one line. Well done!

Some suggestions. Chinese orbital was unclear at first. In an opening line, everything must be crystal. You are trying to catch a fish, not make them stop and wonder why the lure looks artificial. I like the word orbital, do use it, but I believe you need to use a term that makes it clear what it is, like Chinese orbiting station. After that, you can call it an orbital and we will know what it is.

This line is compound and long. But it does work. So how can you trim a few words out and make it appear sleeker, even though it's stuffed with information? Your KYD training should help. Eliminate nonessential words. Even a couple can make a big difference. Like this:

Mae’s room upon China's orbiting habitat looked identical to her living room in Guizhou Province, the difference being that this window overlooked China's expanse instead of her garden and her late son’s tomb.

There. I think that helped. See what you think. Like the opening line shared from Stephen King, this opener packs a lot in, but it works, and also sets up mood lighting for this stage. Smile

Good job, Zeet! Good job to all of you! This entire SET. YOUR. STAGE. exercise was great fun, and I loved all your results!

Guess what? I heard famed fantasy writer Terry Brooks speak last night, and you'll never believe what he said. Okay, you will, because I've been drilling this into your heads for a month! Your opening line is IMPORTANT. He said it's your tease to bring your reader into your story. He brought out that the new paradigm for writing today is that you have to get your reader involved right away. He added that you have the first two pages, that's it. Sound like anything we've been working on? Terry KNOWS, and proves how important this set your stage stuff is that we've been working on. He even gave us an opening line from one of his novels and talked about how much was implied from one simple sentence, just like we've been doing! Here's his line for you to chew on:

"At midnight they broke out of the prison, just as they had planned."

Okay, have fun with that one! As I work on your last Super Secret for the year, are you ready for your next assignment? THERE WILL BE BLOOD. Heh, somebody should make a movie with that title, it's like the title says everything about what is to come! wotf001

Stay tuned!

Beastmaster Moon

Posted : September 16, 2020 1:28 pm
Henckel
(@henckel)
Silver Star Member

Have I missed an assignment?

WOTF Stats
(2014) V31 – R
(2018) V35 – HM
(2019) V36 – HM, SHM
(2020) V37 – R, HM, SHM, Finalist
(2021) V38 – SF, SHM, SHM, HM
(2022) V39 – HM, SHM, SHM, SHM
(2023) V40 - HM, SF, tba, tba

Posted : September 16, 2020 10:19 pm
SwiftPotato
(@swiftpotato)
Silver Star Member

Hey beasties - there's an online event happening tomorrow (Sept. 18) at 5pm Mountain Time if you're interested in joining! Myself, Storm Humbert, Daniel Bitton, and Dave Farland will be chatting together with The Book Bungalow on some WotF stuff. And uh, I gotta tell you, I am VERY frightened to be basically on a panel with Dave Farland. I am not worthy! (But also I'm super excited!) It's a Zoom thing again, so here's the link to the Facebook event: https://facebook.com/events/s/david-far ... 198/?ti=as and a link to the registration for Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/registe ... Dp8C0qJxEp

Hope to see some of you there! Smile

R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!
Stories in Apocalyptic, Cossmass Infinites x2! PodCastle, Spirit Machine; forthcoming in Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Apex Magazine, Human Monsters

Posted : September 17, 2020 3:47 am
(@ccrawford)
Silver Member

Hey beasties - there's an online event happening tomorrow (Sept. 18) at 5pm Mountain Time if you're interested in joining! Myself, Storm Humbert, Daniel Bitton, and Dave Farland will be chatting together with The Book Bungalow on some WotF stuff. And uh, I gotta tell you, I am VERY frightened to be basically on a panel with Dave Farland. I am not worthy! (But also I'm super excited!) It's a Zoom thing again, so here's the link to the Facebook event: https://facebook.com/events/s/david-far ... 198/?ti=as and a link to the registration for Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/registe ... Dp8C0qJxEp

Congratulations, Leah! This sounds really exciting! Smile

Indie author of The Lex Chronicles (Legends of Arameth), and the in-progress Leyward Stones series--including my serial, Macchiatos, Faerie Princes, and Other Things That Happen at Midnight, currently available on Kindle Vella.
Short story "Our Kind" published in DreamForge Anvil, Issue #5, and also "One Shot at Aeden" published in DreamForge Anvil, Issue #7!

Posted : September 17, 2020 4:14 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Registered, and hoping many challenge beasties and Forumites will support you, Leah! Have fun! I’ll set some edits aside and be there!

As a side note, we had over 1,000 views in 24 hours, and broke 300,000 views on our Super Secrets Workshop today! You guys are FAMOUS! wotf013

Now go make more fame!

Beastmaster Moon

Posted : September 17, 2020 7:33 am
Retropianoplayer
(@retropianoplayer)
Bronze Star Member

Swift Potato, of course you're worth it!

Don't be ridiculous. At the end of the day, these people on the Zoom stage with you go home to their families, eat the same types of food you do, have their own shares of worries and concerns. You've shown superhuman ability – you've won Writers Of The Future on your second try.

I'm not privy to the archives at Writers Of The Future, but I'm betting YOU ARE THE FIRST WHO HAS DONE SO (although I think one or two of the present Judges may have accomplished this.)

Your past performance at the previous bookstore was wonderful. I'm sure this one will be exemplary.

Best As Always,

Retropianoplayer wotf009

Posted : September 17, 2020 8:22 am
SwiftPotato
(@swiftpotato)
Silver Star Member

You guys are too sweet, thanks! Can't wait to see y'all! And Retro - I believe Mica Scotti Kole from vol. 35 won on her second try too! If I remember correctly, she said something about it in her podcast (which was very good - I still remember listening to it). Don't want to take too much credit here! 😉

R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Posted : September 17, 2020 9:40 am
(@ccrawford)
Silver Member

And here's CCrawford's excercise result on the Opening Line:

I would be intrigued by a line like this, for all the reasons stated above. This has the mark of a professional writer. As an editor, I would read on.

Mission accomplished! Well done, Crystal! I hope you expand this story from your 250. It has a promising opening.

All the beast!

Beastmaster Moon

Thank you! I am definitely considering expanding it. Also... I don't think I would have come up with this opening line if not for this exercise, so thank you for that!

Posted : September 18, 2020 3:37 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

You're welcome, Crystal!

As a bonus to all of you that joined Ryland's Super Secret private group, I've got some critical information he's going to share with you (waiting for you on the Super Secret master class Discord board, Ryland). Get that info as fast as you can from him! Did I mention it's IMPORTANT? Membership has its privileges.:)

Nice job Leah on your WotF virtual signing at that Utah bookstore! The owner really liked your story! So did Dave!

I got to ask Dave how Q3 is coming along. He said he just received the culled stack. He also said if he reads for twelve hours a day for ten days he can complete his reading and judging on it. Wow! He mentioned maybe end of September. That sounds optimistic to me, but I thought I'd pass it along to those of you twitching instead of writing your Q4s! Smile If he gets results in by October 1st, Joni still has to call the finalists and assign their stories to four judges. So you can stop twitching until a week or more into October, I believe. Free your minds to write, not worry!

My new master class, "The Secrets of a Howling Good Plot," is only two weeks away! This is for Fyrelite Online, and it includes registration to Fyrecon in November. Here's the info! https://www.fyrecon.com/master-classes/ ... allHowling

All the beast!

Beastmaster Moon

Posted : September 19, 2020 8:19 am
SwiftPotato
(@swiftpotato)
Silver Star Member

Thanks, Moon Smile really appreciated all that came to watch! This was a fun interview! Listening to Dave talk about my story was simultaneously scary and very warm-fuzzy. Didn't think he watched the reviews as closely as he has been. Thanks again for coming!!

R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Posted : September 19, 2020 9:02 am
Retropianoplayer
(@retropianoplayer)
Bronze Star Member

Swift, I was late to the party, but I came nevertheless. I thought you handled yourself well. Thought the interview was supposed to be 5:00 P.M. I signed on at 4:50 P.M. I just Googled it, and Arizona is in "Mountain Standard Time."

Best,

Retro

Posted : September 19, 2020 10:53 am
(@rjklee)
Bronze Star Member

Thanks for the extra tips, Moon. I shared them with the Super Secrets private Pack Chat. In addition to the great motivation you give us here, we’ve been sharing stories and motivating each other a lot so I hope someone gets a win!

R.J.K. Lee
WotF 2021: SHM, R, R, S-F
2020: HMx2, Rx2
2019: Rx4
2018: N/A
2017; HMx2, Rx2
2016: HMx2, Rx2
2015: Rx1
Publications:
Stone Shaper Tanukis Estranged in Dark Cheer: Cryptids Emerging - Volume Blue (Improbable Press, 12/13/2021)
Memo from the Jolly Overlords on the Weird Christmas Podcast (12/2020). I read my story at the 22:10 mark in the flash fiction contest episode.
Monthly updates on where to submit your creative work: https://figmentsdiehard.blogspot.com/

Posted : September 19, 2020 12:48 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Thanks for the extra tips, Moon. I shared them with the Super Secrets private Pack Chat. In addition to the great motivation you give us here, we’ve been sharing stories and motivating each other a lot so I hope someone gets a win!

Thank you for doing that, Ryland. Glad you guys are running as a pack. Wouldn’t it be grand to see a bunch of you in the same Q as finalists? That’s my dream.

Posted : September 19, 2020 2:24 pm
SwiftPotato
(@swiftpotato)
Silver Star Member

Good morning, beasties! We're really starting to get down to the wire here...I believe there are only two prompts left for this year! And, of course, don't forget to report in on your story submissions.

Anyway, without further ado, today's Monday prompt is: VOICES IN THE CAVE.

R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Posted : September 21, 2020 1:19 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Thanks for posting the prompts each week, Keeper of Records! And for calling for submission reports! It will be important for receiving WULF MOON'S YEAR END SUPER SECRET FULFILLMENT BONUS!

Speaking of year end, don't miss the deadline. Do take a look at my Super Secret message *exclusive* to workshop members. Ryland has it. Act on that if you can; you still have time to pull a rabbit out of a hat! DID I MENTION THIS IS THE LAST CHANCE TO GET IN ON THE DOUBLE YEAR AWARD CEREMONY? TO SHARE THE STAGE WITH SUPER SECRET WORKSHOP MEMBERS LEAH NING AND KATE JULICHER?

MAKE IT SO!

Finally, we won't say farewell quite on September 30th. I want to give each of you time to get your Q4s in without pressure from another assignment. But when you're done, I will post when I'd like everyone to post a sample of one of their latest 250s. Change the names if you're making a larger work from it so it's not easily identifiable. But start thinking on a sample from one of your 250s toward the end of this workshop year that is a good example of your progress. Write a new one if you wish. I'll let you know when you should post these. I will also ask you to write up something about what the Workshop did to help you progress this year--what benefits you gained from the Challenge, the Secrets, and the personal instruction. Don't write this for me, write this for you. I want you to look back over your starting point when you joined and share with us what you have accomplished this workshop year in your craft, your belief in yourself, and any successes you have enjoyed. Success can mean many different things to every individual. Tell us YOURS.

No, Retro, you can't post to this yet. Smile Wait for my call. Smile

Wishing you all the best on your Q4s! I've worked with many of you on some real beauties this quarter; I expect some awesome results! And I'm still working on some, in between my clients. I've been buried in work, but that's a good thing. I will get to you within a day or so if you're in the queue.

Finally, my new Master Class, "The Secret of a Howling Good Plot" is less than two weeks away. If you want more grounding on the Story side of our craft, this one is for you! I'll post some details, but right now, back to editing! And don't you have writing to do?

THE END IS UPON US! SAVE YOURSELVES...by writing one helluva story for Q4. THIS IS WHAT WE'VE TRAINED ALL YEAR FOR! YOU CAN DO THIS!

Beastmaster Moon

Posted : September 21, 2020 6:00 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Becky said she gets worried every time I mention my upcoming workshop that she's got the wrong dates for the one she's taking. Sorry to confuse! Let's clarify. I am conducting TWO separate online workshops on two different topics. On November 13, 2020, I'm conducting "How to Write Winning Stories that Take the Gold." That one studies essential elements within every *prizewinning story*, with special emphasis on how to craft stories that win Writers of the Future. Here's the details to that one: https://www.fyrecon.com/master-classes/ ... conWinning

The upcoming online workshop on October 3rd, 2020 is "The Secrets of a Howling Good Plot." This class is about the engine within every working story, and it's designed to improve the Storytelling side of your writing craft. After unveiling those Secrets, we break down the engines of some classic tales to prove the points. You also use these simple rules to create a fresh story by the end of the workshop. I know some of you are coming. Thanks for the support! Here's the details:

Less than two weeks away!

*THE SECRETS OF A HOWLING GOOD PLOT*

The Nine. You have heard these legends told, of Nine Secrets from the days of old, when forges burned hot and hammers rang bold. They are the stories of mortals who have sold their souls, to create from crude ore one ring of pure gold.

Yes, writer, you know of what I speak. For you can see it too, in your mind’s eye. A story incomplete, seeking what is missing with all its might in the fog and confusion of lidless night. Gather your power. Come to Mordor, where we shall dare to stare into the molten heart of Mount Doom. Cast your story into the fire and bring it forth in radiance anew. Howl as you seize the nine elements of every successful story and apply Moon’s alchemy to bind them to your living creation.

You have heard of the Seven Point Plot. This one … is the Nine. From these essential elements, every successful story is created. If you have wondered how to craft a story, if you have been confounded by your story not selling, this master workshop will teach you how to turn lead into gold.

Behold! The Secrets to be unleashed:

1. Discover the Nine Secrets of every working story. Analyze what makes them kick and scream and drag you down into the heart of darkness, only to lift you from the ashes into blazing glory.
2. Explore how authors use these Secrets in your favorite stories to bind you to their power and cast you under their spell. The scales shall fall from your eyes; you will be forever changed.
3. Learn how to bind the Nine to do your will. Using Wulf’s Howling Good Story Plotter™, we will take your idea and give it fur and fangs and a sporty bowler hat. Or a holocaust cloak. You decide.

Stand back! Farther, you fools!–you have a Ringwraith on your hands! How to safely unleash your beast on the world and prepare for world domination.

LIGHT. YOUR. FORGE!

Fly you fools, fly! Wulf’s last class sold out!

https://www.fyrecon.com/master-classes/ ... allHowling

Posted : September 21, 2020 10:22 am
Retropianoplayer
(@retropianoplayer)
Bronze Star Member

Dear Volume 37 Challenge Beasties:

It has been an interesting year. There is no need for me to submit another KYD Flash Prompt, because I "stepped up to the plate" and submitted an additional one on Stage 4 of Set. Your. Stage. Assignment.

I wish all of you the best of luck in all your endeavors, not limited to writing. One fine day, as I sip a cup of Earl Grey tea, hot, with five lemon slices, and brown turbinated sugar, I expect to see some of you on that stage. I'll think fondly of the memories we've shared, the books we've purchased on how other authors got published, and the formulas and theorems used by those authors. I'll lift my tea cup and say, "Cheers. I knew all of these people."

If someone (anyone) can clarify something for me, I'd be grateful: The Book Bungalow Zoom meeting was set for this past Friday at 5:00 Mountain Time. Eagerly, I looked forward to attending. Arizona is in what's considered "Mountain Standard Time." Allowing myself ten minutes for computer errors, I signed on and was admitted to the meeting at 4:50 P.M. To my dismay, I discovered the meeting already in progress, and assumed it had started at 4:00 P.M. Mountain Standard Time. If anyone who attended could clear up this discrepancy in time, it would be so thoughtful, thank you.

Best,

Retropianoplayer wotf009

Posted : September 21, 2020 1:07 pm
(@ccrawford)
Silver Member

I'm in for Q4... just submitted tonight! That wraps up my short stories for this quarter (I'd already reported in for my other subbed out to market).

I'm behind by 2 on the flash bonus challenge... can I catch up if I do 2 KYD/Flash stories before the end of the month, or did it have to be at least one per month for the 12 months?

Posted : September 21, 2020 1:38 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Retro, don't run off, our year isn't over yet! And it's been a joy to have you in Year Two of the Super Secret Workshop & Challenge.

Crystal, well done on getting your entry in. I hear good things, and I expect eight finalists from this group in Q4! Honestly, you have all worked hard, you are all doing great work, and I truly believe the Pack is going to show their skill in Q4 results. Go forth and conquer!

As to the bonus challenge, it was one KYD flash per month to not overwhelm. If you're short and want to make it up with two before the end of the Contest year, that's fine by me. The point is, you did the work. It's hard work, but yields incredible results. I am seeing it in all the stories and assignments I've been reading from all of you.

Speaking of, I have two more gratis edits to finish for those that met the challenge reqs. I better get back to them!

All the beast!

Beastmaster Moon

Posted : September 21, 2020 2:09 pm
SwiftPotato
(@swiftpotato)
Silver Star Member

Crystal, got your Q4 sub down! Nice job! Smile
Retro: what time zone are you in? And follow-up, are you somewhere that doesn't do daylight savings? Because that could explain the hour discrepancy. The zoom meeting did start at 5pm mountain time (so I signed in at 7pm eastern). I'm really sorry you missed it, but super appreciate you coming! There's a full recording on their YouTube channel, here: https://youtu.be/mwI-qixGYwg if you'd like to watch!

R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Posted : September 22, 2020 12:19 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Crystal, got your Q4 sub down! Nice job! Smile
Retro: what time zone are you in? And follow-up, are you somewhere that doesn't do daylight savings? Because that could explain the hour discrepancy. The zoom meeting did start at 5pm mountain time (so I signed in at 7pm eastern). I'm really sorry you missed it, but super appreciate you coming! There's a full recording on their YouTube channel, here: https://youtu.be/mwI-qixGYwg if you'd like to watch!

I encourage each of you to watch that ASAP.

Beastmaster Moon

Posted : September 22, 2020 6:30 am
Page 112 / 176
Share: