Success!

4,772 Posts
232 Users
1144 Likes
1.3 M Views
Joel C. Scoberg
(@joel-c-scoberg)
Silver Star Member

@disgruntledpeony Thank you! I am glad you enjoyed.

And, by the way, I loved your story "Echoes of Meridian", thanks for sharing the link. The constructs are a cool concept, I like the Frankenstein vibes (one of my favourite books). I can see why it won the Baen award grinning  

R: 2 / HM: 6 / SHM: 2
Published stories:
"Drunk Scentless" - Daily Science Fiction (June 2021)
"Interview with the Vampire Hunter" - Every Day Fiction (October 2021)
"Dutch Courage" - 365tomorrows (August 2022)

Posted : October 27, 2021 3:31 am
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Platinum Member

@joel-c-scoberg Thank you! grinning (And thanks to everyone else who responded, too! The last month and a half has been crazy--I kept meaning to respond to everyone earlier.)

If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, SF, SHM, 1st Place (Q2 V38)
Ticknor Tales
Twitter
4th and Starlight: e-book | paperback

Posted : October 27, 2021 1:57 pm
Yelena
(@scribblesatdusk)
Silver Member

@joel-c-scoberg Congrats! You should be super proud. Comments are a great way to engage with others who read your story. Don't be scared, the commenters can't bite as bad as vampires 😉

I submitted a story once to every day fiction and got a rejection with some harsh feedback where they told me my story was trite (among other things). Eesh! 

V36:Q3 HM V37: Q3 R, Q4 SHM V38: R,HM, F, HM V39: HM, SHM, SHM, SHM V40: SF, RWC, ?

Posted : October 27, 2021 5:45 pm
Joel C. Scoberg
(@joel-c-scoberg)
Silver Star Member

@scribblesatdusk Thank you Smile Yeah, I need to look at it as an opportunity to engage and take on board feedback, rather than let my anxiety get the better of me!

It's hard writing away and submitting but never getting feedback from editors, so I am sorry to hear your feedback wasn't the most constructive 🙁

Published stories:

Posted : October 28, 2021 3:25 am
(@morgan-broadhead)
Gold Member

Posted by: @scribblesatdusk

I submitted a story once to every day fiction and got a rejection with some harsh feedback where they told me my story was trite (among other things). Eesh! 

That's horrible! A simple form rejection would've been sufficient without the added insults. That just seems terribly unprofessional. I'm sorry you had to experience that. I bet that didn't feel good at all. sadness  

"You can either sit here and write, or you can sit here and do nothing. But you can’t sit here and do anything else."
— Neil Gaiman, Masterclass

Drop me a line at https://morganbroadhead.com
SFx1
HMx4
R/RWCx5

Posted : October 28, 2021 4:38 am
Yelena
(@scribblesatdusk)
Silver Member

@morgan-broadhead 

After my skin had time to toughen I became grateful for the feedback, even as harsh as it was (or seemed to me at the time; I'm not going to reopen that email.). It helped me see the story through a more critical eye and let it go.

V36:Q3 HM V37: Q3 R, Q4 SHM V38: R,HM, F, HM V39: HM, SHM, SHM, SHM V40: SF, RWC, ?

Posted : October 28, 2021 5:27 pm
Scott_M_Sands
(@scott_m_sands)
Gold Member

@morgan-broadhead 

Agreed. No need for feedback like that. It's obvious they don't like the story enough to purchase it if they reject it. 
Good on you for finding a way to look at it in a positive way. I very much hope you sell that story. smiley  

"If writing is easy, you're doing it wrong." -Bryan Hutchinson
V36-37: R x6
V38: R, HM, R, HM
V39: HM, HM, HM, HM
V40: HM

Posted : October 30, 2021 2:52 am
Yelena
(@scribblesatdusk)
Silver Member

@scott_m_sands I am sure I wrote something like "aspiring writer who appreciates all feedback" or "feedback more than welcome" or some such in my cover letter. I appreciate the hard work of editors and in the end it did me good seeing their criticism. I really think it's a great accomplishment Joel Scoberg got published there and one day (soon) I'll have the nerve to resubmit something to them. 

Posted : October 30, 2021 4:02 pm
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

(@rschibler) I read your interview of a published author in the Apex email today, your digital footprint is growing. Well done.

Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality-D.R.Sweeney
HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : December 24, 2021 6:59 am
RETreasure
(@rschibler)
Platinum Member

@storysinger Oh, Thank you! I love doing the interviews. Was this the Nina Munteanu interview? She is so brilliant and her story in our International Futurist's Issue ( https://apex-magazine.com/robins-last-song/) is just beautiful.

V34: R,HM,R
V35: HM,R,R,HM
V36: R,HM,HM,SHM
V37: HM,SF,SHM,SHM
V38: (P)F, SHM, F, F
V39: SHM, SHM, HM, SHM
Published Finalist Volume 38
Pro’d out Q4V39
www.rebeccaetreasure.com

Managing Editor, Apex Magazine

Posted : December 24, 2021 9:15 am
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

It was the Nina Munteanu interview. I'm signed up for the Apex newsletter so I read it when it comes.

It's one of the markets I watch so I can submit when they are accepting stories. When I saw your name, I read the article.

HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : December 24, 2021 11:37 am
Álex Souza
(@alexvss)
Bronze Star Member

I managed to sell the story that was rejected in V38/Q3. It's (purposely) weird and violent so it doesn't fit Wotf at all, and I didn't know that at the time; but I sold it so I guess it's OK. Click here to read it.

V38: Q3-R; Q4-HM
V39: Q1-R; Q2-N/A; Q3-P
Critters.org MPCx4
Slush reader for The Common Tongue Magazine.
Debut short-story "Invisible Bodies" published in HyphenPunk and reprinted in MetaStellar.

Posted : January 5, 2022 2:37 pm
N.V. Haskell, Cherrie, Disgruntled Peony and 1 people reacted
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Platinum Member

Posted by: @alexvss

I managed to sell the story that was rejected in V38/Q3. It's (purposely) weird and violent so it doesn't fit Wotf at all, and I didn't know that at the time; but I sold it so I guess it's OK. Click here to read it.

Congratulations! clapper It's officially on my short story TBR list. (Which is admittedly rather long right now, but I'll be making time to catch up soon.)

If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, SF, SHM, 1st Place (Q2 V38)
Ticknor Tales
Twitter
4th and Starlight: e-book | paperback

Posted : January 6, 2022 8:48 am
Álex Souza reacted
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

I read your story Alex. Except for a few f-words it seems like an acceptable tale for WotF.

HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : January 6, 2022 11:30 am
Joel C. Scoberg
(@joel-c-scoberg)
Silver Star Member

@alexvss 

congratulations! That's amazing news clapper

Published stories:

Posted : January 6, 2022 2:18 pm
Álex Souza
(@alexvss)
Bronze Star Member

@storysinger Thanks for taking the time to read the story!

I read somewhere (I think it was either here or the blog) that Dave likes simple stories, with structures like Dan Harmon's story circle, and over-the-top violence is out of the question. I did quite the opposite with this story, and thus my odds plummeted.

My HM, on the other hand, has moderate violence and an evident basic structure. Inciting incident, rising action... it's all there in a pretty obvious way. Now I'm trying to sell this story too. A big-time magazine has been holding it for months so fingers crossed.

@disgruntledpeony Thanks! Do lemme know what you think of it!

@joel-c-scoberg Thank you!

V38: Q3-R; Q4-HM
V39: Q1-R; Q2-N/A; Q3-P
Critters.org MPCx4
Slush reader for The Common Tongue Magazine.
Debut short-story "Invisible Bodies" published in HyphenPunk and reprinted in MetaStellar.

Posted : January 6, 2022 2:42 pm
crlisle
(@crlisle)
Gold Member

Hi everybody,

I wanted to share my news. Daily Science Fiction has published my micro fiction story "Invasion"

So thrilling! I hope you enjoy my little story. It came from a Wulf Moon KYD exercise.

Here is the link:

Daily Science Fiction :: Invasion by Candice R. Lisle

Vol. 36: 3rd -- R, 4th -- R
Vol. 37: 1st -- R, 2nd -- HM, 3rd -- HM, 4th -- SHM
Vol. 38: 1st -- HM, 2nd -- HM, 3rd -- HM, 4th -- HM
Vol. 39: 1st -- SHM, 2nd -- RWC, 3rd -- RWC, 4th -- HM
Vol. 40: 1st -- HM, 2nd -- R, 3rd -- RWC, 4th -- R
Vol. 41: 1st - R, 2nd -- pending, 3rd -- WIP

"Never give up! Never surrender!" -- Galaxy Quest

Posted : January 14, 2022 9:00 am
czing, angelslayah, Preston Dennett and 6 people reacted
crlisle
(@crlisle)
Gold Member

To continue the good news. My story "The Last Dance" will be published in mid-February 2022 along with a story by Wulf Moon in the LTUE anthology, Parliament of Wizards. You can see the cover on Amazon and pre-order the Kindle version.

Here is the link:

Amazon.com: Parliament of Wizards (LTUE Benefit Anthologies) eBook : Butler, D. J., Collings, Michael R., Stone, Eric James, Lisle, Candice R., Seeley, Sarah E., Milner, Jodi L., Moon, Wulf, Leen, Gerri, Clegg, Jaleta, Monson, Joe: Kindle Store

Posted : January 14, 2022 9:05 am
James (Ease)
(@ease)
Gold Star Member

Congrats @crlisle and @wulfmoon!

VOL 40 2nd Quarter: Third Place ("Ashes to Ashes, Blood to Carbonfiber")
Past submissions: R - HM - HM - HM - HM - HM - SHM - SHM
www.jd-writes.com

Posted : January 14, 2022 9:27 am
crlisle and Wulf Moon reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

Posted by: @crlisle

To continue the good news. My story "The Last Dance" will be published in mid-February 2022 along with a story by Wulf Moon in the LTUE anthology, Parliament of Wizards. You can see the cover on Amazon and pre-order the Kindle version.

Here is the link:

Amazon.com: Parliament of Wizards (LTUE Benefit Anthologies) eBook : Butler, D. J., Collings, Michael R., Stone, Eric James, Lisle, Candice R., Seeley, Sarah E., Milner, Jodi L., Moon, Wulf, Leen, Gerri, Clegg, Jaleta, Monson, Joe: Kindle Store

Well done, Candice! On this anthology, and on selling your KYD to Daily Science Fiction. You’re a published writer!

Click here to JOIN THE WULF PACK!
"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : January 14, 2022 5:54 pm
crlisle
(@crlisle)
Gold Member

@wulfmoon thank you! It's strange, I knew that a lot of people would be reading my flash at Daily Science Fiction, but it blew me away when people started quoting my tiny little story! 

I could not have done this without your mentorship and teachings. salute  

Posted : January 14, 2022 7:20 pm
James (Ease), Wulf Moon, David Hankins and 1 people reacted
crlisle
(@crlisle)
Gold Member

@ease thank you!

Posted : January 14, 2022 7:20 pm
James (Ease)
(@ease)
Gold Star Member

@wulfmoon, was expecting to see a post from you in here about something that rhymes with 'shitter.' (Rhyming word chosen wonderfully ironically) winking  

VOL 40 2nd Quarter: Third Place ("Ashes to Ashes, Blood to Carbonfiber")
Past submissions: R - HM - HM - HM - HM - HM - SHM - SHM
www.jd-writes.com

Posted : January 17, 2022 6:15 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

@ease 😄

Took me a sec to catch your fastball. 😁

I did post about WotF’s wins, however. Cheers!

"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : January 17, 2022 6:56 pm
storysinger reacted
Preston Dennett
(@prestondennett)
Silver Star Member

Just had another story published! Just a little flash-fiction horror piece, but I'm pretty happy about it.

Always fun to see your story go live! Here's the link! Yay!

https://darkrecessespress.com/2022/02/02/corpse-flies/

Preston Dennett
HM x 12
F x 1
Winner, 2nd place, Q1, Volume 35
40 stories published! (and counting!)

Posted : February 11, 2022 1:00 pm
czing, Writhmic, Disgruntled Peony and 4 people reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

@prestondennett Dean’s Topanga Canyon story keeps getting a new ending! Well done, my friend. So nice Joni seated us together at the WotF Vol. 35 gala. 😊

Posted : February 11, 2022 1:28 pm
 TimE
(@time)
Silver Star Member

@prestondennett Amusing and horrible! Good read.

?

Posted : February 12, 2022 2:46 am
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Way to go Preston. Congrats on another sale. The next blowfly I see will fall under intense scrutiny.

HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : February 12, 2022 10:25 am
(@officer)
Bronze Star Member

Congrats, @prestondennett! Great flash!

Some more good news: I can officially announce I sold a story to Brave New Worlds, one of the Zombies Need Brains anthologies for 2022. It's my first fiction sale, and a pro sale at that. While the editors helped me make some amazing revisions, the exact same story (as submitted) received an HM at the contest in the recent Q4.

So, if you're earning HMs or better in the contest, you are already writing at a high level. Keep writing, keep submitting, and write the stories you want to tell! And get some critiques if you aren't already doing so. I could never have grown so fast or sold this story idea without the help of many of you I met on the forum. Cheers!

HM, R, HM~, R, R, SHM*, HM, R, HM**, HM, ?, ?
~"Music from the Stars"
* Finalist, 2021 Baen Fantasy Adventure Award
**"Speculation," Brave New Worlds (Zombies Need Brains, Aug 2022)

Posted : February 12, 2022 12:08 pm
czing, MountainSpud, RETreasure and 4 people reacted
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Congratulations Ari. Your words of advice are spot on.

HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : February 12, 2022 12:16 pm
officer reacted
Page 148 / 160
Share: