Notifications
Clear all

Success!

Page 145 / 147

SwiftPotato
(@swiftpotato)
Silver Star Member

Oh wow - I came on to post the Monday prompt and all this popped up! Ahhhh y'all are so nice. Thanks for posting the link, @disgruntledpeony <3 and thank you so much for the kind words about the story, @TimE and @scribblesatdusk! Hope you enjoy when you get to read it, @DoctorJest Smile I've been really (pleasantly!) surprised by how well folks have been responding to this story. And PodCastle picked SUCH a good narrator for it. At least in my humble opinion, haha. 

R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!
Stories in Apocalyptic, Cossmass Infinities, and Podcastle

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 24, 2021 5:35 am
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Gold Star Member

I've been chomping at the bit to share this story for the last year, and it's finally out! For free, no less. This is 'Ren of the Thousand Faces,' one of my favorite stories I've written to date. grinning  

https://firesidefiction.com/ren-of-the-thousand-faces

If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells
R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, SF, SHM, 1st Place (Q2 V38)
Ticknor Tales

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 25, 2021 6:42 am
David Hankins, czing, DoctorJest and 2 people liked
DoctorJest
(@doctorjest)
Silver Member

And I get to share one too!

It's a reprint of a story that was in On Spec previously, and a former SHM at this contest (though this version is edited and somewhat tighter than the SHM was), but PodCastle just published my short story Ashwright, which you can find here: 

https://podcastle.org/2021/05/25/7529/

(Addendum: I still haven't had time to listen to it myself--damn my actual work-day responsibilities!--but my wife loved it, so I think the narrator must have done a good job.)

R: 0 / HM: 8 / SHM: 4 / SF: 0 / F: 1
Currently in for Q3.V38 / Q4.V38 currently in crit/revision stage
Last result: SHM for Q2.V38
Revised SHM ('Ashwright') at PodCastle
Revised HM ('The Winds of the Mind') forthcoming at Abyss and Apex, ~October 2023

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 25, 2021 1:07 pm
Wulf Moon
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Member Moderator

Lots of great success here! The Forum ROCKS! Starry Eyes  

JOIN THE WULF PACK! http://the super secrets.com
"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" wins WRITERS OF THE FUTURE VOL. 35 & BEST SF&F STORY OF 2019. Order WotF Volume 35 HERE!
“Muzik Man" wins BEST SF&F STORY of 2020
NEW! Don't miss "Shaken, Not Stirred" & "Behind the Scenes" & "Nail Your Opening" in DreamForge Anvil Magazine!
JUST RELEASED! BEST OF DEEP MAGIC ANTHOLOGY TWO! Three Super Secrets Workshop members made it into this best of the best anthology! KD Julicher, Brittany Rainsdon, and some guy named Wulf Moon.Click HERE to get yours!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 26, 2021 7:26 am
scribblesatdusk
(@scribblesatdusk)
Bronze Member
Posted by: @doctorjest

It's a reprint of a story that was in On Spec previously, and a former SHM at this contest (though this version is edited and somewhat tighter than the SHM was), but PodCastle just published my short story Ashwright, which you can find here: 

(Addendum: I still haven't had time to listen to it myself--damn my actual work-day responsibilities!--but my wife loved it, so I think the narrator must have done a good job.)

A story very rich in detail. Interesting choice not to have MC succeed with the crystal heart. I'm not quite sure why MC opposes to include children bones with the ghost ritual, despite some hints to it (just they're more sorrowful than adult bones?), but that created an aura of mystery. I liked the bit about tea being not a thing to waste. Congrats!

V36:Q3 HM
V37: Q3 R, Q4 SHM
V38: R,HM, ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 26, 2021 11:30 am
DoctorJest
(@doctorjest)
Silver Member
Posted by: @disgruntledpeony

I've been chomping at the bit to share this story for the last year, and it's finally out! For free, no less. This is 'Ren of the Thousand Faces,' one of my favorite stories I've written to date. grinning  

That was different, and fascinating! It didn't go where I expected it to, and was really intriguing, but feels like it deserves a second read to really get it--I'm going to give it a rest, and then read it again, after I've had a chance to check out Swift's PodCastle tale.

Revised HM ('The Winds of the Mind') forthcoming at Abyss and Apex, ~October 2023

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 26, 2021 5:46 pm
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Gold Star Member

I just got the chance to read this today (been trying to start it for days, but the kids keep me busy). The story had a poignant mix of sad and hopeful feelings. I feel like you could get a lot of story fodder out of a magic system like this--it's really interesting. Definitely room for novels, there.

If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells
R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, SF, SHM, 1st Place (Q2 V38)
Ticknor Tales

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 27, 2021 6:15 am
AliciaCay liked
scribblesatdusk
(@scribblesatdusk)
Bronze Member

Congratulations! For anyone reading not used to the pronouns, I found this helpful: https://neopronounfaq.tumblr.com/post/186633588354/xexemxyr-guide

Cool twist in the end , I didn't expect it but going back I see the breadcrumbs were there all along (that's a masterful twist!). I agree with Doctor Jest, a lot of depth in this story and is one that should be read slow to get the full effect. 

My main confusion came here: "Stryphe with carefully constructed shock. “I cannot take this form, milady.”

So Ren says that but xe did take on the form? Since after this the Lady goes to kiss xem and seems to identify xem as Aidric. 

So Ren's ruse was making it seem like the change to Aidric's face was difficult or was it something else?

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 27, 2021 6:37 am
Joel C. Scoberg
(@joel-c-scoberg)
Advanced Member

This was a great story. It felt like a glimpse into a rich world and I wanted to know more about Ren's adventures before this tale. A great POV character too. The neopronouns threw me at first but the handy guide posted by @scribblesatdusk helped me out.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 27, 2021 2:24 pm
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Gold Star Member
Posted by: @scribblesatdusk

Congratulations! For anyone reading not used to the pronouns, I found this helpful: https://neopronounfaq.tumblr.com/post/186633588354/xexemxyr-guide

Cool twist in the end , I didn't expect it but going back I see the breadcrumbs were there all along (that's a masterful twist!). I agree with Doctor Jest, a lot of depth in this story and is one that should be read slow to get the full effect. 

My main confusion came here: "Stryphe with carefully constructed shock. “I cannot take this form, milady.”

So Ren says that but xe did take on the form? Since after this the Lady goes to kiss xem and seems to identify xem as Aidric. 

So Ren's ruse was making it seem like the change to Aidric's face was difficult or was it something else?

Ren didn't take on the form in the mansion, no. Xe pretended xe couldn't take that form, because xe's able to look like anyone except the person xe used to be. That's why Lady Stryphe believed Ren was actually Aidric instead of someone who could simply impersonate Lord Stryphe--because Ren's performance convinced her that xe couldn't take that form in the first place. It is, unfortunately, a moment that would be much more easily illustrated in a visual medium--because Ren is the viewpoint character, xe can't see xyr own face to confirm what happened in a visual sense for the reader, so I just described it as best I could internally. smiley  

Ticknor Tales

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 27, 2021 3:29 pm
DoctorJest
(@doctorjest)
Silver Member

I just got the chance to read this today (been trying to start it for days, but the kids keep me busy). The story had a poignant mix of sad and hopeful feelings. I feel like you could get a lot of story fodder out of a magic system like this--it's really interesting. Definitely room for novels, there.

It's the story I got the most requests from people who wanted to see a novel length elaboration of it. I tried before, and failed badly at it, but I think I may return to give it another whirl in the future. I've improved my craft since my last attempt.

I also went and took a second read through Ren of the Thousand Faces today, and loved it on the second read through. A very different story to anything else I've read, and I forwarded it onto a friend of mine who I think will really enjoy it too. Addendum: in particular, aside from the themes, I found some of the descriptive details in this story very interesting, and the whole thing very elegantly paced, never too fast for the tone, nor ever losing my interest.

(Hopefully tonight, I'll also find a large enough gap to listen to Swift's story...that one is still sitting and waiting for me, along with listening to the read of my own story, which I haven't yet found time for either. I do have a vacation day tomorrow though, so if not tonight, then tomorrow awaits!)

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 27, 2021 3:42 pm
scribblesatdusk
(@scribblesatdusk)
Bronze Member

@disgruntledpeony 

Had Lady Stryphe truly disposed of her husband, she’d see through xyr ruse instantly.

Thank you, for the explanation. Now ^ part makes a lot more sense.

It's all there too. I feel like a daft fool!

You have robbed yourself of your own destiny this day. Never again will you remember the person you were. You will wander the earth, able to take on any form but your own, for the rest of your natural life.”

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 27, 2021 4:30 pm
NVHaskell
(@nvhaskell)
Advanced Member

I just sold my first story!

I know this is a great group of supportive writers and feel comfortable sharing it here. This story received a SHM last year and I have been shipping it around since then. I was expecting another rejection letter and was floored when they wanted to publish it. Even better, I get a chance to fangirl over a contract signed by an author/editor I admire.

I am waiting to post anything elsewhere until after I have made some minor edits and get over my imposter syndrome, but I just sent the contract back to them and I am over the moon excited. 

So, thanks for letting me gush about it. Now I can maybe (not likely) give my husband a break.

‘If you write one story, it may be bad; if you write a hundred, you have the odds in your favor.’ ~ Edgar Rice Burroughs
'The War Within' Deep Magic Volume 73 https://deepmagic.co
V37- R, HM, SHM, HM
V38- HM, SHM, P

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 27, 2021 5:33 pm
AliciaCay
(@aliciacay)
Advanced Member

@nvhaskell

Congrats!! 

clapper clapper clapper  

It's such a lovely feeling!

Can't wait until you can share the details, and we get to read it 😉

~A.

V32: HM (Q4)
V33: HM, HM, SHM, HM
V34: R, R, HM, HM
V35: HM, HM, R, HM
V36: R, R, SHM, R
V37: SHM, Finalist, HM, SHM
V38: SF, tbd
https://aliciacay.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 27, 2021 5:57 pm
NVHaskell liked
NVHaskell
(@nvhaskell)
Advanced Member

@aliciacay Once I get the edits finished then I will post all about it! 

‘If you write one story, it may be bad; if you write a hundred, you have the odds in your favor.’ ~ Edgar Rice Burroughs
V37- R, HM, SHM, HM
V38- HM, SHM, P

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 27, 2021 6:09 pm
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Gold Star Member

@nvhaskell Congratulations! grinning clapper That first sale is quite the rush.

Ticknor Tales

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2021 4:55 am
NVHaskell liked
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Gold Member

Congratulations @nvhaskell on the sale. Look forward to reading it.

Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality-D.R.Sweeney
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
HM-V38/Q1

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2021 5:02 am
NVHaskell liked
NVHaskell
(@nvhaskell)
Advanced Member

@disgruntledpeony You are not kidding! It took me reading the email three times before I believed it, then I was screaming with excitement. 

V37- R, HM, SHM, HM
V38- HM, SHM, P

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2021 4:18 pm
NVHaskell
(@nvhaskell)
Advanced Member
Posted by: @storysinger

Congratulations @nvhaskell on the sale. Look forward to reading it.

Thank you! It will be out sometime next month. I will definitely make a post about it when it's close to release Smile

V37- R, HM, SHM, HM
V38- HM, SHM, P

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2021 4:20 pm
DoctorJest
(@doctorjest)
Silver Member
Posted by: @swiftpotato

Oh wow - I came on to post the Monday prompt and all this popped up! Ahhhh y'all are so nice. Thanks for posting the link, @disgruntledpeony <3 and thank you so much for the kind words about the story, @TimE and @scribblesatdusk! Hope you enjoy when you get to read it, @DoctorJest Smile I've been really (pleasantly!) surprised by how well folks have been responding to this story. And PodCastle picked SUCH a good narrator for it. At least in my humble opinion, haha. 

I finally found my time to listen to your story (truly wonderful!) and my own also at last, and I had a question that relates to both.

When I read my own work in print, I always feel very detached from it--I read the words, but I find myself breaking the story down more, looking at how I might change a passage, alter this or that, and still approaching it as the creator of the piece. I expected the same when I listened to my story on PodCastle at last -- and they chose the perfect narrator for it I think, just as they did with yours -- but instead, I found I was able to get caught up in my own writing, and experienced the story in a way I've never managed with anything I wrote myself before.

Did you have anything similar when you listened to your story being narrated like this? It was a very unexpected experience for me to get so completely caught up in the listening, when I was expecting something far more...well, more removed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2021 5:35 pm
Wulf Moon
(@wulfmoon)

@doctorjest. That’s the beauty of oral storytelling. You cast your story into another medium, and it changes its reflections. The voice-over actor has great power in this. They interpret the nuances not only of sentences, but how to accent individual words to stay true to the author’s intent in choice and placement. It creates a new and unique experience, even for the author.

BTW, narration and sound editing is intense and exhausting work to do it right. Per Finished Hour you listen to, six to nine hours go into creating it. You would be shocked to find out how little voice-over actors get paid at magazines, and yes, I’m an approved narrator at Escape Artists. It really is a labor of love—you certainly don’t do it for the money.

"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" wins WRITERS OF THE FUTURE VOL. 35 & BEST SF&F STORY OF 2019. Order WotF Volume 35 HERE!
NEW! Don't miss "Shaken, Not Stirred" & "Behind the Scenes" & "Nail Your Opening" in DreamForge Anvil Magazine!
JUST RELEASED! BEST OF DEEP MAGIC ANTHOLOGY TWO! Three Super Secrets Workshop members made it into this best of the best anthology! KD Julicher, Brittany Rainsdon, and some guy named Wulf Moon.Click HERE to get yours!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 30, 2021 7:31 am
DoctorJest
(@doctorjest)
Silver Member
Posted by: @wulfmoon

BTW, narration and sound editing is intense and exhausting work to do it right. Per Finished Hour you listen to, six to nine hours go into creating it. You would be shocked to find out how little voice-over actors get paid at magazines, and yes, I’m an approved narrator at Escape Artists. It really is a labor of love—you certainly don’t do it for the money.

This is something I do have tremendous respect for, as one of my friends did it for some years as a way to make a little extra money. He had trained in acting, but there really wasn't much money in it, especially when you deduct costs for some things like professional audio processing and setting up an environment to use. Definitely a labor of love for him, but he turned those energies later to theater performance instead, which he probably loves even more. 

I've also done some test readings of my stories, and it startled me to discover how difficult it is to sustain that kind of speaking for even the length of time of a single story (the longest I think I've gone is maybe a little over an hour or so, for a story at ~13k; and by the end my voice felt like it was failing). Even on the purely physical level, it's far from an easy thing to do.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 30, 2021 10:57 am
RETreasure
(@rschibler)
Silver Star Member
Unmasked pre order promo Twitter

Both Alicia Cay and I have stories about French ladies in this anthology (though that's where the similarity ends). Pre-orders are available now, and you get a second book included! 

V34: R,HM,R
V35: HM,R,R,HM
V36: R,HM,HM,SHM
V37: HM,SF,SHM,SHM
V38: F, SHM, P, P
Available for critiques - PM for availability.
www.rebeccaetreasure.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 5, 2021 2:11 pm
NVHaskell, Wulf Moon, Scott_M_Sands and 3 people liked
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Bronze Member

Just read Ren of the Thousand Faces. That was fantastic and left me wanting more! I could see that story expanded into a full novel. Good stuff @disgruntledpeony!

V38 Q2: HM

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 5, 2021 4:12 pm
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Bronze Member

@doctorjest, Ashwright was really good! I liked your hints and foreshadowing of his deeper, darker quest. It kept me intrigued all the way through. Well written!

V38 Q2: HM

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 6, 2021 7:26 am
SwiftPotato
(@swiftpotato)
Silver Star Member

@doctorjest

Re: your question, I think it makes sense that you're able to get more caught up in the story when you're listening vs. reading. It's sort of like changing the font, reading it aloud to yourself, or printing the story on paper - it's different from how your brain is used to processing the story, so it feels new! When I listened to mine on PodCastle, I found I was still breaking it down to see what I could've done better to an extent. I had a funny moment where I heard something and went "Man, I should've done <thing> with that later in the story!" and then a couple minutes later, apparently I had totally done <thing>. Shows you how long ago I wrote that story. Haha. But on the other hand, I found the experience really interesting in that I was able to hear how this narrator interpreted the story, the tones in the characters' dialogue, etc. It was a super cool way to hear from a reader on how they felt as they read the story, and whether I was able to convey what was in my head well. Hope that makes some semblance of sense!

R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!
Stories in Apocalyptic, Cossmass Infinities, and Podcastle

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 7, 2021 9:14 am
NVHaskell
(@nvhaskell)
Advanced Member

I've been waiting until I saw the lineup announcement and cover reveal before I posted (you guys, it has been so hard) that my SHM story "The War Within" will be published in the summer issue of Deep Magic. I am completely humbled to be amongst the ranks of some talented and illustrious writers, several of whom are members of this group and, of course, the astounding Wulf Moon. 

I submitted it to them at the end of last year and had almost given up when they sent me the email in May that it had been accepted. I'm blown away that my first sold story involved signing a contract with Jeff Wheeler. 

The lesson I've learned from this forum and listening to the wisdom of so many here, is that a good story may need to travel a bit before it lands in exactly the right hands. Persistence and patience can make all the difference.

So, maybe I haven't won WOTF yet (I am ever optimistic), but I feel like I am on the right path. Thanks for all the support.

V37- R, HM, SHM, HM
V38- HM, SHM, P

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 15, 2021 9:00 am
crlisle, DoctorJest, Wulf Moon and 1 people liked
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Gold Member

That's way cool @nvhaskell. Hearty congrats on the sale. Ever upward is the path you are on.

Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality-D.R.Sweeney
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
HM-V38/Q1

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 15, 2021 10:34 am
NVHaskell liked
NVHaskell
(@nvhaskell)
Advanced Member

@storysinger Thank you so much!

V37- R, HM, SHM, HM
V38- HM, SHM, P

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 15, 2021 11:04 am
Wulf Moon
(@wulfmoon)
Posted by: @nvhaskell

I've been waiting until I saw the lineup announcement and cover reveal before I posted (you guys, it has been so hard) that my SHM story "The War Within" will be published in the summer issue of Deep Magic. I am completely humbled to be amongst the ranks of some talented and illustrious writers, several of whom are members of this group and, of course, the astounding Wulf Moon. 

I submitted it to them at the end of last year and had almost given up when they sent me the email in May that it had been accepted. I'm blown away that my first sold story involved signing a contract with Jeff Wheeler. 

The lesson I've learned from this forum and listening to the wisdom of so many here, is that a good story may need to travel a bit before it lands in exactly the right hands. Persistence and patience can make all the difference.

So, maybe I haven't won WOTF yet (I am ever optimistic), but I feel like I am on the right path. Thanks for all the support.

WONDERFUL NEWS, NVHASKELL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!

I am thrilled to hear you will be published in DEEP MAGIC! And with a Silver HM story from this contest! How cool is that? 

Deep Magic had two open calls worth of top tier stories they had to choose from for this issue. The competition was tremendous, and they had a specific goal they were trying to achieve for this set of stories. This was no small win! I'm sorry to see the magazine come to an end, but I'm happy your story got in their last issue. A truly respectable sale for your first! WELL DONE!

And yes, well done for not giving up on your story and continuing to send it out after it got a Silver here. It takes keeping a story in circulation until the right editor and need for that story occurs. Persistence and patience CAN make all the difference! Congrats for not giving up!

You now have a nice credit to add to your cover letters. You've also proven you wrote a story that impressed a very selective board that has some bestselling authors on it. May this sale open many new doors for you!

All the beast!

Wulf Moon

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 15, 2021 12:08 pm
Page 145 / 147
Share: