4,772 Posts
232 Users
1144 Likes
1.3 M Views
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Platinum Member

Congratulations, Andy and nreavis! wotf010

If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, SF, SHM, 1st Place (Q2 V38)
Ticknor Tales
Twitter
4th and Starlight: e-book | paperback

Posted : February 5, 2021 12:29 am
Alex Harford
(@alexh)
Silver Member

A finalist for multiple Hugos/Nebulas and a Bram Stoker winner just emailed me saying that he nominated my WotF vol 36 story "A Word That Means Everything" for the Nebula, so I'm pretty pumped.

Also just had a flash piece (seven drabbles on immortality) out in Scifi Lampoon:
https://www.lulu.com/en/us/shop/ian-k-a ... pageSize=4

That's awesome! wotf008

And congrats to everyone else with their successes too. It's always good to read. wotf008

35: - R R R | 36: R HM R R | 37: HM HM HM SHM | 38: HM HM HM HM | 39: HM HM HM SHM | 40: HM R SHM SHM |
4 SHM / 12 HM / 7 R

Posted : February 6, 2021 4:17 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

Nice, Andy. Even better? Having the screenwriter of Xena—Stephen Sears—talk about your story on John’s podcast. Kudos for that!

Click here to JOIN THE WULF PACK!
"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : February 6, 2021 8:43 am
HermioneLee
(@hermionelee)
Bronze Star Member

My story "The Wizard, the Watcher, and the Waif" will be published Friday at https://nightshiftradio.com/storytellersprint . Enjoy!

Congrats Becky! wotf010 wotf010 wotf010
I haven’t been following this thread for a while, so I saw your post today

V37: R, R, R, R
V38: R, R, HM, R
V39:

Author of The Otherworld Trilogy
Book 1: In the Name of the Otherworld (https://www.amazon.com/Name-Otherworld-Hermione-Lee/dp/1955086362)
Book 2: Marvels of the Underworld (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1956788689?ref_=dbs_m_mng_wim_calw_tpbk_1&storeType=ebooks)
Book 3 I&II: War of the Chaotic Worlds (TBA)

Recipient of the Literary Titan Silver Award in September 2021
Recipient of Best Sci-fi and Fantasy Novel and Best Young Adult Book in the 24th Critters Annual Readers Poll (2021-2022)
Winner of the 2021 Paranormal Romance Guild Reviewers’ Choice Awards (Best YA/NA Novel)

Posted : February 6, 2021 8:47 pm
HermioneLee
(@hermionelee)
Bronze Star Member

A finalist for multiple Hugos/Nebulas and a Bram Stoker winner just emailed me saying that he nominated my WotF vol 36 story "A Word That Means Everything" for the Nebula, so I'm pretty pumped.

Also just had a flash piece (seven drabbles on immortality) out in Scifi Lampoon:
https://www.lulu.com/en/us/shop/ian-k-a ... pageSize=4

Winning a Nebula would be a great honor! Congratulations Andy wotf010 wotf047

V37: R, R, R, R
V38: R, R, HM, R
V39:

Author of The Otherworld Trilogy
Book 1: In the Name of the Otherworld (https://www.amazon.com/Name-Otherworld-Hermione-Lee/dp/1955086362)
Book 2: Marvels of the Underworld (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1956788689?ref_=dbs_m_mng_wim_calw_tpbk_1&storeType=ebooks)
Book 3 I&II: War of the Chaotic Worlds (TBA)

Recipient of the Literary Titan Silver Award in September 2021
Recipient of Best Sci-fi and Fantasy Novel and Best Young Adult Book in the 24th Critters Annual Readers Poll (2021-2022)
Winner of the 2021 Paranormal Romance Guild Reviewers’ Choice Awards (Best YA/NA Novel)

Posted : February 6, 2021 8:49 pm
(@andydibble)
Bronze Star Member

Nice, Andy. Even better? Having the screenwriter of Xena—Stephen Sears—talk about your story on John’s podcast. Kudos for that!

Yeah that put me over the moon. 23:25 https://soundcloud.com/writersofthefutu ... eenwriters

First Place, Q1 Vol 36 Recently out!
"Deymons" in Mysterion: https://www.mysteriononline.com/2024/02/deymons.html
"Every Me Is Someone Else" in Diabolical Plots: https://www.diabolicalplots.com/dp-fiction-103a-every-me-is-someone-else-by-andrew-dibble/

Posted : February 12, 2021 5:08 am
crlisle reacted
Yelena
(@scribblesatdusk)
Silver Member

This is a flash literary piece (not spec) but it's something of mine that is open to stranger's eyes. 

https://flashfictionmagazine.com/blog/2021/04/26/one-persons-trash/#more-46441

V36:Q3 HM V37: Q3 R, Q4 SHM V38: R,HM, F, HM V39: HM, SHM, SHM, SHM V40: SF, RWC, ?

Posted : April 26, 2021 9:04 am
(@reuben)
Silver Member

@scribblesatdusk Another professional sale from you! I'll check it out. 😀 

Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm ~ Winston Churchill
V37: R, R, R, HM
V38: SHM

Posted : April 26, 2021 11:00 am
Yelena
(@scribblesatdusk)
Silver Member

@reuben Thank you!

I don't think this one counts as a professional sale but it's not trapped in my hard drive either so that's something.

V36:Q3 HM V37: Q3 R, Q4 SHM V38: R,HM, F, HM V39: HM, SHM, SHM, SHM V40: SF, RWC, ?

Posted : April 26, 2021 11:50 am
RETreasure
(@rschibler)
Platinum Member

@scribblesatdusk

I love FFO. Congratulations!

V34: R,HM,R
V35: HM,R,R,HM
V36: R,HM,HM,SHM
V37: HM,SF,SHM,SHM
V38: (P)F, SHM, F, F
V39: SHM, SHM, HM, SHM
Published Finalist Volume 38
Pro’d out Q4V39
www.rebeccaetreasure.com

Managing Editor, Apex Magazine

Posted : April 26, 2021 12:02 pm
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Platinum Member

@scribblesatdusk

Congratulations! clapper It's a sad, sweet little story. You packed a lot of emotion in there.

If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, SF, SHM, 1st Place (Q2 V38)
Ticknor Tales
Twitter

Posted : April 27, 2021 7:27 am
(@yorgolee)
Advanced Member

Hey everyone, I’m still finding my way around the forum and just found this thread!

Last month I had my first professional sale. It was a flash piece picked up by Daily Science Fiction.

I still don’t know yet when it will come out but the contract has been signed at least.

Posted : April 27, 2021 8:29 am
G. L. Dearman, C.A.Tedeschi, Wulf Moon and 4 people reacted
(@reuben)
Silver Member

@yorgolee Wow, Yorglee, congratulations! I've been trying for DSF a long time.

Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm ~ Winston Churchill
V37: R, R, R, HM
V38: SHM

Posted : April 27, 2021 11:15 am
yorgolee reacted
Yelena
(@scribblesatdusk)
Silver Member

@yorgolee Congrats!! I can't wait to read it. Do post a link here when it's up, or what is your name (I'm subscribed to them).

I've also been trying with them and so far no luck.

Thanks, Disgruntled Peony! Means a lot to me you read it.

RETreasure, I really like FFO but this was published in an unrelated cousin look-a-like: flash fiction magazine.

Posted : April 27, 2021 12:14 pm
yorgolee reacted
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Congratulations on the sale yorgolee.

Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality-D.R.Sweeney
HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : April 27, 2021 12:17 pm
Wulf Moon and yorgolee reacted
(@yorgolee)
Advanced Member

Thanks folks! I’m pretty excited as I’m also a subscriber and start my day with their stories. It’s way more edifying than getting straight to the overnight news.

@scribblesatdusk my name is Yorgo Douramacos (Lee is my middle name) though I’ll probably post a link here as well when it publishes.

Posted : April 27, 2021 1:25 pm
Wulf Moon reacted
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Platinum Member

Posted by: @yorgolee

Hey everyone, I’m still finding my way around the forum and just found this thread!

Last month I had my first professional sale. It was a flash piece picked up by Daily Science Fiction.

I still don’t know yet when it will come out but the contract has been signed at least.

Congratulations! Feel free to link it when it comes out so we all get the chance to read it. grinning  

Ticknor Tales
Twitter

Posted : April 27, 2021 6:15 pm
yorgolee reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

Posted by: @yorgolee

A pro sale! Well done, yorgolee! Congratulations!🎉🎈🍾 

Click here to JOIN THE WULF PACK!
"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : April 27, 2021 10:23 pm
Agathon and yorgolee reacted
Cray Dimensional
(@craydimensional)
Gold Star Member

Just sharing a couple of my poems.

1. https://www.craydimensional.com/post/christmas-wish-poem
  2. https://www.craydimensional.com/post/endless-loop-poem

Small steps add up to miles.
V38: R, R, HM, HM
V39: RWC, HM, HM, SHM
V40 : HM, RWC, R, HM
V41 : RWC, WIP
"Amore For Life" in After the Gold Rush Third Flatiron Anthology
"Freedom’s Song” in Troubadour and Space Princesses LTUE Anthology

Posted : April 28, 2021 12:36 pm
Agathon, Yelena, yorgolee and 1 people reacted
C.A.Tedeschi
(@c-a-tedeschi)
Advanced Member

silverhm

Good day everyone. My story 'Fen and the Every Path, received a Silver Honorable Mention in the Q1 v.38.

If anyone would like to read a pure Heroic Fantasy that made it as far as a SHM, it is currently free on Amazon.

I would also like to thank those who have critiqued this story. Insight to the craft of writing is invaluable. Even the tiniest grain is worth a bushel or a bunch.

Please do read my story, and one bit of advice if i may,  Never underestimate a gnome.

Fen and the Every Path: The Adventures of Fen the Gnome Ranger - Kindle edition by Tedeschi, C.A.. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

I thank you for your time. Sincerely, C.A. Tedeschi

Posted : April 29, 2021 4:36 am
Disgruntled Peony, Agathon, Yelena and 2 people reacted
Agathon
(@agathon)
Bronze Member

I received an acceptance for publication from a market April 15. It softened the blow when I received a rejection letter from Joni.

soldstory

I've sold two now. Token payment, but still.

Agathon McGeachy
Figure Sculptor, Mechanical Designer, Reformed Rakehell, Writer
Vol 37, Q2: HM
Vol 37, Q3: HM
Vol 37, Q4: HM
Vol 38, Q1: R
Vol 38, Q2: R
Vol 38, Q3: HM
Vol 38, Q4: HM
Now in print: NIWA 2020 Anthology 'Escape' and NIWA 2021 Anthology 'Forbidden' available on Amazon

Posted : April 30, 2021 8:43 pm
MarathonCoder, G. L. Dearman, Wulf Moon and 3 people reacted
Cray Dimensional
(@craydimensional)
Gold Star Member

@agathon congratulations 

Small steps add up to miles.
V38: R, R, HM, HM
V39: RWC, HM, HM, SHM
V40 : HM, RWC, R, HM
V41 : RWC, WIP
"Amore For Life" in After the Gold Rush Third Flatiron Anthology
"Freedom’s Song” in Troubadour and Space Princesses LTUE Anthology

Posted : May 1, 2021 3:58 am
C.A.Tedeschi and Agathon reacted
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Congratulations Agathon.

Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality-D.R.Sweeney
HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : May 1, 2021 10:10 am
C.A.Tedeschi and Agathon reacted
Yelena
(@scribblesatdusk)
Silver Member

Congrats, Agathon!

Posted : May 5, 2021 1:56 pm
Agathon reacted
Yelena
(@scribblesatdusk)
Silver Member

Posted by: @c-a-tedeschi

silverhm

Good day everyone. My story 'Fen and the Every Path, received a Silver Honorable Mention in the Q1 v.38.

If anyone would like to read a pure Heroic Fantasy that made it as far as a SHM, it is currently free on Amazon.

I would also like to thank those who have critiqued this story. Insight to the craft of writing is invaluable. Even the tiniest grain is worth a bushel or a bunch.

Please do read my story, and one bit of advice if i may,  Never underestimate a gnome.

Fen and the Every Path: The Adventures of Fen the Gnome Ranger - Kindle edition by Tedeschi, C.A.. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

I thank you for your time. Sincerely, C.A. Tedeschi

I was able to read this story over the weekend. I loved many of the descriptions in it that made the world feel so immersive. The idea of a good path to follow is one that has heart. The measurement counting in knees! Really, so many of the little details in the story that made it resonate. How one has to mind weather on a mountain, because it changes quick. Pa's strictness when it came to mastering wood and stone before going onto metal and how that's called back when Fen succeeds in his mission later. The detail of Fen himself fashioning the quivers and how 13 is lucky in their culture. At one point at about the climax, I thought Trapper would turn out to be someone different from who he appeared, and was glad that didn't happen. Anyway, thanks for making it available for all of us to read. It read like something meant for a longer work (a novel? trilogy?), especially given it doesn't end with Fen's success. Are you planning more adventures with Fen?

Posted : May 18, 2021 6:53 pm
C.A.Tedeschi reacted
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Platinum Member

@swiftpotato You forgot to post here about your story that got published in freaking Podcastle!  clapper So apparently, I'm gonna post it for you, because I want people to read this, dang it. (It's really good, you guys. It made me cry.)

https://podcastle.org/2021/05/18/podcastle-679-pull/

Ticknor Tales
Twitter

Posted : May 20, 2021 9:52 pm
SwiftPotato, TimE, Alex Harford and 2 people reacted
Yelena
(@scribblesatdusk)
Silver Member

@swiftpotato that was a great read. Gripping. The added speculative element really made this work to capture the struggle of Alzheimer's. A bitter sweet ending that fleshes out all the characters. Congrats!

Posted : May 21, 2021 3:45 pm
DoctorJest
(@doctorjest)
Platinum Member

I'm going to bookmark this for a writing-gap listen! (I used to have real issues with other folks' writing intruding on mine during projects--and although my style's grown pretty resilient to that, keeping a divide between my reading and writing remains something of a habit for me now.)

DQ:0 / R:0 / RWC:0 / HM:15 / SHM:7 / SF:1 / F:1
Published prior WotF entries: PodCastle, HFQ, Abyss & Apex

Posted : May 22, 2021 9:24 pm
 TimE
(@time)
Silver Star Member

@swiftpotato - I really enjoyed that story. Great idea and well written. That's one I'll read again.

?

Posted : May 23, 2021 1:54 am
SwiftPotato reacted
SwiftPotato
(@swiftpotato)
Silver Star Member

Oh wow - I came on to post the Monday prompt and all this popped up! Ahhhh y'all are so nice. Thanks for posting the link, @disgruntledpeony <3 and thank you so much for the kind words about the story, @TimE and @scribblesatdusk! Hope you enjoy when you get to read it, @DoctorJest Smile I've been really (pleasantly!) surprised by how well folks have been responding to this story. And PodCastle picked SUCH a good narrator for it. At least in my humble opinion, haha. 

R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!
Stories in Apocalyptic, Cossmass Infinites x2! PodCastle, Spirit Machine; forthcoming in Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Apex Magazine, Human Monsters

Posted : May 24, 2021 5:35 am
Page 144 / 160
Share: