Success!

4,783 Posts
232 Users
1171 Likes
1.3 M Views
(@reuben)
Silver Member

Thanks all!

Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm ~ Winston Churchill
V37: R, R, R, HM
V38: SHM

Posted : July 1, 2020 7:28 am
Jamesblakey
(@jamesblakey)
Bronze Member

"The Witch of Sherman Oaks" my HM from Volume 36, Quarter 3 appears in the Summer 2020 issue of The Colored Lens.

Rx2
HMx9
SFx1

Posted : July 13, 2020 5:57 am
vjalrik
(@vjalrik)
Bronze Member

"The Witch of Sherman Oaks" my HM from Volume 36, Quarter 3 appears in the Summer 2020 issue of The Colored Lens.

Congrats!

Van Alrik
V33 (-- HM SHM R), V34 (SF R R HM),
V35 (HM R R R), V36 (R HM F HM),
V37 (SF HM HM HM), V38 (HM HM HM HM),
V39 (HM HM, Q3 - Pending)

Posted : July 13, 2020 9:13 am
Henckel
(@henckel)
Silver Star Member

That's awesome! Congrats!

WOTF Stats
(2014) V31 – R
(2018) V35 – HM
(2019) V36 – HM, SHM
(2020) V37 – R, HM, SHM, Finalist
(2021) V38 – SF, SHM, SHM, HM
(2022) V39 – HM, SHM, SHM, SHM
(2023) V40 - HM, SF, tba, tba

Posted : July 13, 2020 10:41 am
(@andydibble)
Bronze Star Member

Nice!

First Place, Q1 Vol 36 Recently out!
"Deymons" in Mysterion: https://www.mysteriononline.com/2024/02/deymons.html
"Every Me Is Someone Else" in Diabolical Plots: https://www.diabolicalplots.com/dp-fiction-103a-every-me-is-someone-else-by-andrew-dibble/

Posted : July 13, 2020 10:52 am
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Platinum Member

wotf007 Congratulations, Milo! wotf010 wotf010 wotf010

If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, SF, SHM, 1st Place (Q2 V38)
Ticknor Tales
Twitter
4th and Starlight: e-book | paperback

Posted : July 13, 2020 11:16 am
(@reuben)
Silver Member

Awesome! I've been trying to get into The Colored Lens for a while! wotf010 wotf010

Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm ~ Winston Churchill

Posted : July 13, 2020 12:13 pm
RETreasure
(@rschibler)
Platinum Member

Congratulations! Love the cover.

V34: R,HM,R
V35: HM,R,R,HM
V36: R,HM,HM,SHM
V37: HM,SF,SHM,SHM
V38: (P)F, SHM, F, F
V39: SHM, SHM, HM, SHM
Published Finalist Volume 38
Pro’d out Q4V39
www.rebeccaetreasure.com

Managing Editor, Apex Magazine

Posted : July 13, 2020 12:22 pm
 TimE
(@time)
Silver Star Member

Well done, Milo. And from an HM - that's interesting.

?

Posted : July 13, 2020 10:54 pm
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Platinum Member

http://blog.flametreepublishing.com/fan ... ange-lands

Great news, everyone! I've sold a story to Flame Tree Publishing's "Strange Lands" anthology! It's going to be available in the UK in October and the US in November. wotf007

If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, SF, SHM, 1st Place (Q2 V38)
Ticknor Tales
Twitter

Posted : July 15, 2020 5:14 am
(@aedlrjqaewoif)

http://blog.flametreepublishing.com/fantasy-gothic/gothic-fantasy-successful-submissions-strange-lands

Great news, everyone! I've sold a story to Flame Tree Publishing's "Strange Lands" anthology! It's going to be available in the UK in October and the US in November. wotf007

Congrats! wotf010

AE for short
Running count: R: 12 | HM: 16 | SHM: 5 | SF: 0 | F:0
38q1 -- Urban Fantasy -- HM
38q2 -- Urban Fantasy -- R
38q3 -- Fantasy Romance -- ? (Probably an R)
38q4 -- Magic Realism -- HM
39q1 -- Horror Romance -- << results pending >>

Posted : July 15, 2020 5:17 am
RETreasure
(@rschibler)
Platinum Member

WOO!

V34: R,HM,R
V35: HM,R,R,HM
V36: R,HM,HM,SHM
V37: HM,SF,SHM,SHM
V38: (P)F, SHM, F, F
V39: SHM, SHM, HM, SHM
Published Finalist Volume 38
Pro’d out Q4V39
www.rebeccaetreasure.com

Managing Editor, Apex Magazine

Posted : July 15, 2020 7:23 am
chuckt
(@chuckt)
Silver Member

http://blog.flametreepublishing.com/fantasy-gothic/gothic-fantasy-successful-submissions-strange-lands

That's great. Congrats

Chuck Thompson
6 Rs, 5 HMs, 2 SHMs

Posted : July 15, 2020 12:18 pm
(@reuben)
Silver Member

Nice! You're inching your way to proing out, aren't you? Your second pro sale, or your third?

Congratulations!

Posted : July 16, 2020 2:25 am
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Platinum Member

Nice! You're inching your way to proing out, aren't you? Your second pro sale, or your third?

Congratulations!

It's my third pro sale, but the new wording of the rules confused me, so I e-mailed Joni to check. It's been confirmed that, since my first two sales were at .06/word, they don't count under the new rules (even though .06/word was pro rates at the time I made those sales). I'm not as close to proing out as I was worried about for a week or two. wotf011

Ticknor Tales
Twitter

Posted : July 16, 2020 4:58 am
Alex Harford
(@alexh)
Silver Member

Wow. That must make a whole lot of new people eligible again. Keep that quiet. wotf001

Congrats on your first pro sale. For the second time! wotf007

35: - R R R | 36: R HM R R | 37: HM HM HM SHM | 38: HM HM HM HM | 39: HM HM HM SHM | 40: HM R SHM SHM | 41: R
4 SHM / 12 HM / 8 R

Posted : July 16, 2020 6:18 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

Congratulations!

It's my third pro sale, but the new wording of the rules confused me, so I e-mailed Joni to check. It's been confirmed that, since my first two sales were at .06/word, they don't count under the new rules (even though .06/word was pro rates at the time I made those sales). I'm not as close to proing out as I was worried about for a week or two. wotf011

Great news, Liz. On both counts.

Click here to JOIN THE WULF PACK!
"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : July 16, 2020 6:27 am
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Platinum Member

Wow. That must make a whole lot of new people eligible again. Keep that quiet. wotf001

Honestly, I'm guessing that's why the competition has felt steeper of late--but that's just a guess, no hard data to back it up.

Ticknor Tales
Twitter

Posted : July 16, 2020 6:47 am
(@scafontaine)
Bronze Star Member

Congrats!! So happy for you!

Posted : July 16, 2020 10:24 am
 TimE
(@time)
Silver Star Member

Third pro sale sounds good. Have you stopped telling people you're a writer and now say a professional writer?
Well done.

?

Posted : July 16, 2020 7:30 pm
mikewyantjr
(@mikewyantjr)
Bronze Star Member

It's my third pro sale...

Doesn't that mean you can get that SFWA membership card now? wotf026

WotF Results:

R:6
HM:17
SHM:1
SF:3
F:0
Last: SF, Q2 v41

Posted : July 17, 2020 3:07 am
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Platinum Member

It's my third pro sale...

Doesn't that mean you can get that SFWA membership card now? wotf026

I don't have the money for that, I have babies. wotf019

Ticknor Tales
Twitter

Posted : July 17, 2020 4:16 am
(@rjklee)
Bronze Star Member

Honestly, I'm guessing that's why the competition has felt steeper of late--but that's just a guess, no hard data to back it up.

That's surprising. I thought it was much easier to pro out than that. Guess not.

I may have to preorder that Strange Lands tome. What a beautiful anthology to be published in!

R.J.K. Lee
WotF 2021: SHM, R, R, S-F
2020: HMx2, Rx2
2019: Rx4
2018: N/A
2017; HMx2, Rx2
2016: HMx2, Rx2
2015: Rx1
Publications:
Stone Shaper Tanukis Estranged in Dark Cheer: Cryptids Emerging - Volume Blue (Improbable Press, 12/13/2021)
Memo from the Jolly Overlords on the Weird Christmas Podcast (12/2020). I read my story at the 22:10 mark in the flash fiction contest episode.
Monthly updates on where to submit your creative work: https://figmentsdiehard.blogspot.com/

Posted : July 17, 2020 2:08 pm
(@rjklee)
Bronze Star Member

Great job finding a home for your HM. I may have to order that as I've been curious about the publication for a couple months now.

R.J.K. Lee
WotF 2021: SHM, R, R, S-F
2020: HMx2, Rx2
2019: Rx4
2018: N/A
2017; HMx2, Rx2
2016: HMx2, Rx2
2015: Rx1
Publications:
Stone Shaper Tanukis Estranged in Dark Cheer: Cryptids Emerging - Volume Blue (Improbable Press, 12/13/2021)
Memo from the Jolly Overlords on the Weird Christmas Podcast (12/2020). I read my story at the 22:10 mark in the flash fiction contest episode.
Monthly updates on where to submit your creative work: https://figmentsdiehard.blogspot.com/

Posted : July 17, 2020 2:11 pm
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Platinum Member

That's surprising. I thought it was much easier to pro out than that. Guess not.

I may have to preorder that Strange Lands tome. What a beautiful anthology to be published in!

Your fourth pro short story publication--at .08/word or higher--is what makes you pro out.

Ticknor Tales
Twitter

Posted : July 17, 2020 4:25 pm
Thegirlintheglasses
(@thegirlintheglasses)
Bronze Star Member

Woot! Woot! You're on fire!!! NIcely done wotf009

Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM-R-HM-R-F-F-HM-HM-SHM-HM-HM-SF-PF-2nd place!
Published Finalist Volume 37 Quarter 4
Second Place Volume 38 Quarter 1

First publication was "Perfectly Painted Lies" published in Deep Magic Spring 2021 and reprinted in the anthology, Best of Deep Magic Volume 2.
Learn more about me at rainsdonwrites.com

Posted : July 17, 2020 5:09 pm
(@bartleby)

After many, many, MANY hours of revision, my first ever submission to Writers of the Future sold to Metaphorosis. It's titled "Shards." This is my first story sale *ever* after, um, five years of straight rejections. And it's the basis for the cover art! You can read it here: https://magazine.metaphorosis.com/story ... ase-young/

And what happened just a couple months after selling this story? I made my first ever PRO sale to Unidentified Funny Objects 8! Ahhh!! I'm so freaking happy! (It's a funny sci-fi humor story titled "Ambrose Starkisser Encounters That Which Is Locked," and it'll be coming out in late September/early October.)

So, yeah. Five years of rejections would have ground me down but for the Honorable Mentions and one Silver Honorable Mention from WotF. I can't overstate what a morale boost they were. Seriously. After that SHM in 2018, I kinda went into overdrive, reading and studying and practicing SFF as much as possible. Thank you WotF!  fistinair

R x 1
HM x 2
SHM x 1

My publications: https://ebookofthenewsun.wordpress.com/fiction/
My blog on futurism and other weird stuff: https://ebookofthenewsun.wordpress.com/blog/

Posted : July 17, 2020 10:49 pm
 TimE
(@time)
Silver Star Member

Congratulations, Bartleby. And I agree that those little measures of success and improvement in the form of WotF awards are great encouragement.
Well done.

?

Posted : July 18, 2020 12:26 am
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Platinum Member

Awesome job, Bartleby! That's a lot of great news. wotf007 wotf010 wotf010 wotf010 wotf010 wotf010

Ticknor Tales
Twitter

Posted : July 18, 2020 12:28 am
(@bartleby)

Thank you, TimE and disgruntledpeony!  grinning   grinning   grinning

R x 1
HM x 2
SHM x 1

My publications: https://ebookofthenewsun.wordpress.com/fiction/
My blog on futurism and other weird stuff: https://ebookofthenewsun.wordpress.com/blog/

Posted : July 19, 2020 12:41 am
Page 141 / 160
Share: