Success!

4,772 Posts
232 Users
1144 Likes
1.3 M Views
RETreasure
(@rschibler)
Platinum Member

I get it! Share when you can. Congratulations!

V34: R,HM,R
V35: HM,R,R,HM
V36: R,HM,HM,SHM
V37: HM,SF,SHM,SHM
V38: (P)F, SHM, F, F
V39: SHM, SHM, HM, SHM
Published Finalist Volume 38
Pro’d out Q4V39
www.rebeccaetreasure.com

Managing Editor, Apex Magazine

Posted : February 26, 2020 3:21 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

Well, it's not alphabetical, so it must be based on story awesomeness! (Sorry, KG Anderson) wotf011

Heh-heh. Congratulations, Michael J!

Click here to JOIN THE WULF PACK!
"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : February 26, 2020 3:57 am
(@librarianbarbarian)
Bronze Member

I just heard from the Editor in Chief of the indie press publishing my upcoming Western novelette that the anthology will be coming out this October! It's been a long time since the story was accepted last spring. The poor guy AND his daughter have both been having terrible health issues and everything slowed to a crawl. This will mark my 5th published story (one reprint).

Posted : February 28, 2020 11:23 am
(@andydibble)
Bronze Star Member

I just heard from the Editor in Chief of the indie press publishing my upcoming Western novelette that the anthology will be coming out this October!

Congrats! Make sure you share it with us when it's out / out for pre-order!

First Place, Q1 Vol 36 Recently out!
"Deymons" in Mysterion: https://www.mysteriononline.com/2024/02/deymons.html
"Every Me Is Someone Else" in Diabolical Plots: https://www.diabolicalplots.com/dp-fiction-103a-every-me-is-someone-else-by-andrew-dibble/

Posted : March 1, 2020 7:50 pm
(@librarianbarbarian)
Bronze Member

Thanks Andy! It's a little outside the realm of this board, but it is 'speculative' in a way. The anthology's theme is team-ups of Western historical characters who never actually met. We had to keep it realistic as to their lifespans and historical locations, in that a meeting could theoretically have occurred. My story is about a very young Henry McCarty taking the first small steps along the road to his future infamy as Billy the Kid, guided by the legendary outlaw, John Wesley Hardin.

Posted : March 2, 2020 7:12 am
mikewyantjr
(@mikewyantjr)
Bronze Star Member

Thanks Andy! It's a little outside the realm of this board, but it is 'speculative' in a way. The anthology's theme is team-ups of Western historical characters who never actually met. We had to keep it realistic as to their lifespans and historical locations, in that a meeting could theoretically have occurred. My story is about a very young Henry McCarty taking the first small steps along the road to his future infamy as Billy the Kid, guided by the legendary outlaw, John Wesley Hardin.

This is the success thread; all success is welcome! Share away when it's ready. wotf007

WotF Results:

R:6
HM:17
SHM:1
SF:3
F:0
Last: SF, Q2 v41

Posted : March 3, 2020 2:57 am
(@librarianbarbarian)
Bronze Member

This is the success thread; all success is welcome! Share away when it's ready. wotf007

I will! I had a lot of fun with that one. The mood I had in mind while writing it was 'imagine the classic Western movie, 'Shane' if it was directed in 1970 by Sam Peckinpah instead of in 1953 by George Stevens'.

Posted : March 3, 2020 3:06 am
(@michaelkingswood)
Bronze Member

Here's a different kind of success: Kickstarter. I'm running a small campaign to fund some audiobooks. 25% funded so far, in less than a day. Considering I gave myself a month, I think success is in the works. Smile

SF x1
SHM x5
HM x18

https://michaelkingswood.com
https://ssnstorytelling.com
https://www.youtube.com/@MichaelKingswood

Posted : March 11, 2020 6:05 am
Henckel
(@henckel)
Silver Star Member

I will! I had a lot of fun with that one. The mood I had in mind while writing it was 'imagine the classic Western movie, 'Shane' if it was directed in 1970 by Sam Peckinpah instead of in 1953 by George Stevens'.

Yes, definitely share the link.

For a Sci-Fi Fantasy forum, there is a surprisingly LOT of us who love westerns (myself included).

WOTF Stats
(2014) V31 – R
(2018) V35 – HM
(2019) V36 – HM, SHM
(2020) V37 – R, HM, SHM, Finalist
(2021) V38 – SF, SHM, SHM, HM
(2022) V39 – HM, SHM, SHM, SHM
(2023) V40 - HM, SF, tba, tba

Posted : March 11, 2020 10:24 am
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Platinum Member

Got so caught up in real life stuff that I forgot to post about this on February 29th! My second pro published short story, 'Scars of Sentiment,' is now for sale in the U.S. https://www.amazon.com/dp/178755693X/re ... AEbACJ5V9H

If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, SF, SHM, 1st Place (Q2 V38)
Ticknor Tales
Twitter
4th and Starlight: e-book | paperback

Posted : March 11, 2020 3:03 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

Got so caught up in real life stuff that I forgot to post about this on February 29th! My second pro published short story, 'Scars of Sentiment,' is now for sale in the U.S. https://www.amazon.com/dp/178755693X/re ... AEbACJ5V9H

Wonderful! Congratulations, LIz! Those are beautiful books!

"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : March 12, 2020 4:45 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

Here's a different kind of success: Kickstarter. I'm running a small campaign to fund some audiobooks. 25% funded so far, in less than a day. Considering I gave myself a month, I think success is in the works. Smile

Best of success on your Kickstarter, Michael! You've got big plans; Kickstarter support can make them happen! Glad it's off to a good start!

Cheers!

Posted : March 12, 2020 4:47 am
(@andydibble)
Bronze Star Member

Nice! Something for me to read once I beat down my stack a bit.

"Every Me Is Someone Else" in Diabolical Plots: https://www.diabolicalplots.com/dp-fiction-103a-every-me-is-someone-else-by-andrew-dibble/

Posted : March 16, 2020 6:44 pm
Henckel
(@henckel)
Silver Star Member

Congratulations, Liz!!!!!!  fistinair

WOTF Stats
(2014) V31 – R
(2018) V35 – HM
(2019) V36 – HM, SHM
(2020) V37 – R, HM, SHM, Finalist
(2021) V38 – SF, SHM, SHM, HM
(2022) V39 – HM, SHM, SHM, SHM
(2023) V40 - HM, SF, tba, tba

Posted : March 17, 2020 10:25 am
(@michaelkingswood)
Bronze Member

Best of success on your Kickstarter, Michael! You've got big plans; Kickstarter support can make them happen! Glad it's off to a good start!

Cheers!

10 days in - 56% funded. wotf013

Hey on a related note, Dean is starting up a campaign to educate writers on Kickstarter and organize mutual support. The goal is to make writers better at campaigns but also to increase the Fiction presence on Kickstarter, and maybe turn it into a place readers will go to look for new cool books and writers sort of like how gamers do now. He set up a free course/forum on the subject, if anyone is interested:

SF x1
SHM x5
HM x18

https://michaelkingswood.com
https://ssnstorytelling.com
https://www.youtube.com/@MichaelKingswood

Posted : March 20, 2020 4:56 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

Cheers!

10 days in - 56% funded. wotf013

Hey on a related note, Dean is starting up a campaign to educate writers on Kickstarter and organize mutual support. The goal is to make writers better at campaigns but also to increase the Fiction presence on Kickstarter, and maybe turn it into a place readers will go to look for new cool books and writers sort of like how gamers do now. He set up a free course/forum on the subject, if anyone is interested:

Congratulations your Kickstarter is doing so well, Michael! Kickstarter is a great resource for getting projects off the ground. Much success to you!

Posted : March 22, 2020 7:50 am
(@jasmine-arch)

So, my story, On the Nature and Origin of Dragons, which got an HM last year, just got accepted by an anthology. At pro rates. I've sold short stories before (2 shorts, 2 flash pieces) but never at pro rates before!

(I'm still reeling, tbh)

Posted : March 27, 2020 7:37 am
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Platinum Member

So, my story, On the Nature and Origin of Dragons, which got an HM last year, just got accepted by an anthology. At pro rates. I've sold short stories before (2 shorts, 2 flash pieces) but never at pro rates before!

(I'm still reeling, tbh)

Congratulations! wotf007 wotf010

If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, SF, SHM, 1st Place (Q2 V38)
Ticknor Tales
Twitter

Posted : March 27, 2020 7:48 am
(@scafontaine)
Bronze Star Member

(I'm still reeling, tbh)

CONGRATS!! That's awesome!

Posted : March 28, 2020 2:38 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

(I'm still reeling, tbh)

Yay, Jasmine! Congratulations, and may there be many more!

Posted : March 28, 2020 9:06 am
(@willshadbolt)
Advanced Member

Daily Science Fiction just accepted one of my stories!

I first got the idea almost two years ago and wrote a total of five different versions, trying to get it right, so I’m extra ecstatic to see it sell!

R, HM, R, Pending

Posted : March 29, 2020 12:04 pm
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Platinum Member

Daily Science Fiction just accepted one of my stories!

I first got the idea almost two years ago and wrote a total of five different versions, trying to get it right, so I’m extra ecstatic to see it sell!

Congratulations! wotf010

Ticknor Tales
Twitter

Posted : March 29, 2020 4:35 pm
(@willshadbolt)
Advanced Member

Thanks!

R, HM, R, Pending

Posted : March 30, 2020 3:58 am
Dustin Adams
(@tj_knight)
Platinum Plus Moderator

Awesome, Will!

DSF is fo' real.

Career:

1x Win
2x NW-F
2x S-F
9x S-HM
11x HM
7x R

Posted : March 30, 2020 4:53 am
(@andydibble)
Bronze Star Member

Congrats Jasmine and Will!

Posted : March 30, 2020 11:18 pm
chuckt
(@chuckt)
Silver Member

Congrats LIz, Jasmine, and Will!! Frickin awesome!

Chuck Thompson
6 Rs, 5 HMs, 2 SHMs

Posted : March 31, 2020 12:55 am
mikewyantjr
(@mikewyantjr)
Bronze Star Member

My story, "Lavender Footsteps," was picked up for an acted out audiobook podcast that's starting up next month!

It's a paying gig, which is kind of crazy, but they're also still looking for new short stories in the 6,000-9,000 word range, so I figured I'd post the link (it's a tweet with an email) here in case anyone has a story that might fit.

https://twitter.com/TheMichaelFight/sta ... 91685?s=20

WotF Results:

R:6
HM:17
SHM:1
SF:3
F:0
Last: SF, Q2 v41

Posted : March 31, 2020 5:53 am
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Wow, looks like a lot of success is happening here, congrats to all of you.

Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality-D.R.Sweeney
HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : March 31, 2020 8:36 am
RETreasure
(@rschibler)
Platinum Member

Congrats to everyone! DSF is a shiny sale, and who wouldn't love a podcast of their story?! Amazing!

V34: R,HM,R
V35: HM,R,R,HM
V36: R,HM,HM,SHM
V37: HM,SF,SHM,SHM
V38: (P)F, SHM, F, F
V39: SHM, SHM, HM, SHM
Published Finalist Volume 38
Pro’d out Q4V39
www.rebeccaetreasure.com

Managing Editor, Apex Magazine

Posted : March 31, 2020 9:12 am
JVAshley
(@jvashley)
Silver Star Member

Congrats Everyone! wotf010
It's so exciting to see forumites getting published!

~ J V Ashley

Posted : March 31, 2020 9:46 am
Page 139 / 160
Share: