Success!

4,783 Posts
232 Users
1168 Likes
1.3 M Views
(@jnae-rae)
Bronze Member

soldstory
I've sold a humorous flash piece to Empyreome. Thank you Randy!

fistinair  

hey!  J'nae's story, Nine-Tenths, is now live at Empyreome:

http://empyreome.com/read.aspx?id=40

Ha, great story J'nae!

Thank you.  grinning

HM Q1 2015, Q3 & Q4 2016.
R Q1 & Q2 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017
wotf024

Posted : June 2, 2017 4:50 am
(@rebecca-birch)
Silver Star Member

A couple of things to report here. I had a flash story, What Waits Beneath the Rainbow Sea, published recently in Every Day Fiction.

Also! I'm happy to announce my first short story collection!

Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder features twenty fantasy and science fiction short stories, including four not previously published. The stories include one of my WotF finalists, eight HMs, and four straight 'R's that went on to find happy publication homes.

wotf007

Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 18, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

Posted : June 13, 2017 2:28 am
(@jnae-rae)
Bronze Member

Congratulations!

R Q1 & Q2 2017
wotf024

Posted : June 13, 2017 3:54 am
(@amoskalik)
Silver Member

A couple of things to report here. I had a flash story, What Waits Beneath the Rainbow Sea, published recently in Every Day Fiction.

Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder features twenty fantasy and science fiction short stories, including four not previously published. The stories include one of my WotF finalists, eight HMs, and four straight 'R's that went on to find happy publication homes.

wotf007

Love the cover. Congrats!

Posted : June 13, 2017 4:55 am
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Platinum Member

wotf007

That flash is awesome, and your collection has been added to my Amazon wishlist so I can purchase it after I've been paid. wotf007

If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, SF, SHM, 1st Place (Q2 V38)
Ticknor Tales
Twitter
4th and Starlight: e-book | paperback

Posted : June 13, 2017 5:08 am
(@jeremyteg)
Bronze Member

Good work Rebecca! I look forward to reading the flash piece. wotf010

R x 2
HM x 2
SHM x 4
First Place Q1 Vol 34!
The Broken Karwaneer in Beneath Ceaseless Skies Vol. #231.
blog

Posted : June 13, 2017 5:47 am
(@inky_illuminarium)

Congrats Rebecca, and thanks for sharing! I very much enjoyed your flash piece - beautiful, evocative language! wotf010

Posted : June 14, 2017 1:59 pm
(@amoskalik)
Silver Member

I just had my first story published by pod cast in The Centropic Oracle. I really like what the narrator did with this piece.
http://centropicoracle.com/library/F0017_FreshAndFinite.php

Posted : June 23, 2017 1:16 am
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Platinum Member

I just had my first story published by pod cast in The Centropic Oracle. I really like what the narrator did with this piece.

Congratulations! wotf007 wotf010

If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, SF, SHM, 1st Place (Q2 V38)
Ticknor Tales
Twitter

Posted : June 23, 2017 1:22 am
(@jnae-rae)
Bronze Member

Congratulations!!!

R Q1 & Q2 2017
wotf024

Posted : June 23, 2017 5:02 am
Dustin Adams
(@tj_knight)
Platinum Plus Moderator

Yay!

Career:

1x Win
2x NW-F
2x S-F
9x S-HM
11x HM
7x R

Posted : June 23, 2017 8:01 am
(@ishmael)
Gold Member

Great news!
fistinair  

1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

Posted : June 24, 2017 12:14 am
(@jficke13)
Bronze Member

So, being rather new to this (read: completely new to this), when is it appropriate to post about sales? When ink is dried on a contract? When a publication date is set? Something else entirely?

Also, what if the market isn't a pro market? I've heard at least one person give the advice not to even mention semi-pro or token paying publications in a cover letter, does that apply to semi-anonymous forum posts wherein one shameless fishes for affirmation from one's peers?

I have appreciated the forums guidance on the cultural industry norms in the past... so preemptively: thank you again.

HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. http://www.jonficke.com

Posted : July 2, 2017 11:54 am
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Platinum Member

Simply based on what I've observed in the past, this thread is an informal place for celebrating with your peers and doesn't discriminate between pro, semi-pro, and token sales. A lot of people post when they first sell a story and again later to provide links or some such when the story goes public.

Ticknor Tales
Twitter

Posted : July 2, 2017 12:06 pm
(@jeremyteg)
Bronze Member

So, being rather new to this (read: completely new to this), when is it appropriate to post about sales? When ink is dried on a contract? When a publication date is set? Something else entirely?

Also, what if the market isn't a pro market? I've heard at least one person give the advice not to even mention semi-pro or token paying publications in a cover letter, does that apply to semi-anonymous forum posts wherein one shameless fishes for affirmation from one's peers?

I have appreciated the forums guidance on the cultural industry norms in the past... so preemptively: thank you again.

We're here to celebrate any and all successes, be they pro, semi-pro, or what have you! wotf010

The appropriate time to publicly discuss a sale is going to vary from market to market. My experience has been that you can talk about a sale once the contract has been finalized and signed, but some publishers/editors might want you to wait a while. As a general rule, double checking with the editor who bought your story is a good idea for things like this.

R x 2
HM x 2
SHM x 4
First Place Q1 Vol 34!
blog

Posted : July 2, 2017 12:12 pm
(@jficke13)
Bronze Member

We're here to celebrate any and all successes, be they pro, semi-pro, or what have you! wotf010

The appropriate time to publicly discuss a sale is going to vary from market to market. My experience has been that you can talk about a sale once the contract has been finalized and signed, but some publishers/editors might want you to wait a while. As a general rule, double checking with the editor who bought your story is a good idea for things like this.

Well I tentatively have a what have you... details to follow when finalized... #firstsaleever.

Posted : July 2, 2017 12:52 pm
(@hlreinhold)

Well I tentatively have a what have you... details to follow when finalized... #firstsaleever.

Congratulations! Keep us posted with the details. I'd like to read once it's out. wotf008

Posted : July 2, 2017 6:56 pm
(@ishmael)
Gold Member

Not to be too much of a wet blanket, but when I received my first acceptance in 2014 it never occurred to me that an acceptance might not result in the publication of my story.

Since then I've had two such cases (respecting 'sales' which I happily announced in these pages) and come close to a third. Sometimes the publication doesn't last long enough to publish your story; sometimes a restructuring of the publisher causes problems; sometime a change of editor; sometimes illness; sometimes communications get so bad you don't know what's happening; sometimes unexplained delays just go on and on; sometimes several of the above at once.

You have a better chance once a contract's signed, but even that doesn't prevent some of these problems. When a business folds numerous contracts may be broken and it's unlikely to be worth pursuing them by legal means.

So I say, celebrate when you can, but it ain't over until the story's published (and sometimes not even then.)

Posted : July 2, 2017 10:37 pm
(@rebecca-birch)
Silver Star Member

Congratulations on the recent successes, folks, especially jficke13. First sale is the best sale, and I'm looking forward to hearing the details!

I have a flash piece out today in T. Gene Davis's Speculative Blog: Anchor and Key. It's basically my love letter to libraries.

wotf008

Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

Posted : July 3, 2017 12:09 pm
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Platinum Member

Congratulations on the recent successes, folks, especially jficke13. First sale is the best sale, and I'm looking forward to hearing the details!

I have a flash piece out today in T. Gene Davis's Speculative Blog: Anchor and Key. It's basically my love letter to libraries.

wotf008

Very nice. wotf007 Love it.

Ticknor Tales
Twitter

Posted : July 3, 2017 12:44 pm
Preston Dennett
(@prestondennett)
Silver Star Member

wotf008

I always enjoy your stories, Rebecca. Another beautiful piece of art. Congrats.

Preston Dennett
HM x 12
F x 1
Winner, 2nd place, Q1, Volume 35
40 stories published! (and counting!)

Posted : July 4, 2017 6:25 am
(@jficke13)
Bronze Member

I signed the contract and the editor said it was safe to share, so here we go:

Mad Scientist Journal put out a call for classified ads and are planning to publish my submission in March 2018. It's a 180ish word fictional classified ad, so I'm not sure if that falls into flash or an even smaller category, but in any case it's pretty cool, no?

Posted : July 5, 2017 1:21 am
(@hlreinhold)

Mad Scientist Journal put out a call for classified ads and are planning to publish my submission in March 2018. It's a 180ish word fictional classified ad, so I'm not sure if that falls into flash or an even smaller category, but in any case it's pretty cool, no?

That is pretty cool. Well done!

Posted : July 5, 2017 1:28 am
(@ishmael)
Gold Member

wotf008

Very nice, Rebecca. I enjoyed it.

Posted : July 5, 2017 2:02 am
(@ishmael)
Gold Member

Congratulations and join the club! My first was also under 200 words. wotf007

Posted : July 5, 2017 2:03 am
(@jeremyteg)
Bronze Member

Nice! I'd say that counts as flash fiction. Well done! wotf010

R x 2
HM x 2
SHM x 4
First Place Q1 Vol 34!
blog

Posted : July 5, 2017 5:45 am
(@jnae-rae)
Bronze Member

Nice! I'd say that counts as flash fiction. Well done! wotf010

Well, it's over the 100 for a drabble. So, really short flash!

R Q1 & Q2 2017
wotf024

Posted : July 5, 2017 8:47 am
(@elratliff)
Advanced Member

wotf010

2 x SHM
1 x HM
2 x R

Posted : July 5, 2017 11:01 am
(@rebecca-birch)
Silver Star Member

Congratulations, jficke13! Mad Scientist Journal is awesome. wotf007

And thank, Ishmael, Preston, and Peony. Glad you liked it!

Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

Posted : July 5, 2017 4:10 pm
(@jficke13)
Bronze Member

Thanks all, and congratulations as well!

Posted : July 6, 2017 2:33 am
Page 126 / 160
Share: