Success!

4,783 Posts
232 Users
1168 Likes
1.3 M Views
(@ishmael)
Gold Member

Thanks Matt. I've now done that.

I have to confess it's a weird experience to be published and not realise the fact. However these two take me to five so far this year and ten in all, assuming we count 1 podcast = 1 publication.

My pile of acceptances that have not yet been published is down to four and all four have confirmed relatively recently that they still intend to go ahead. Pretty soon I shall have no alternative but to write some new stories.

Since I got back from holiday I've been editing, using some of the helpful advice easily available on the web. I recently had the pleasure of working with a really good editor who helped me realise the number of old-fashioned idiosyncrasies that litter my text. Then I got a personal from CCF saying "it seemed like there was an interesting premise here, but the narrative developed momentum too slowly for me". I cut 600 words from 8,000 as a result and I'm pleased that the pace picked up significantly without any great loss of atmosphere. Too bad I didn't think to do that before submitting.

If I do find myself having to submit to Q4 in a hurry at least I should have a good story to hand. wotf008

1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

Posted : July 18, 2016 4:32 am
 hlf
(@hlf)
Advanced Member

Congrats to everyone since the last time I posted - which is a bunch of you! So many stories to read...

And it seems like this summer is going to be very nice to me and even though some things aren't out in the world yet I'm just going to lump them all here - because soon they should be.

Lackington's took one of my stories for their Summer issue with the theme of Possessions (out now). And it has art!
First of Frost

Parsec's Triangulation: Beneath the Surface will have When an Angel Molts

And also (not SF, but) I'll have a story in Flame Tree's Crime & Mystery anthology (out in August-ish) - which has a few other names in the TOC you may recognize from around here. (TOC at link)

But wait, there's more (well, one more). Too Poor to Sin is in the Mysterion antho (out soon-ish) - which also has a few familiar names in TOC. There's an except from my story at the link if anyone's interested. (It, um, is also about angels, but not the same type as the Molting story mentioned above - I went thru a phase.)

I will say that one of these garnered an HM from the contest and one was a straight first-wave reject (but not which was which - I'm making a but of a point here re: editorial tastes & the contest, which others have said before, but throwing my two cents into the ring.) I didn't change either story besides maybe fixing some missed typos or swapping out a word or two.

Oh, and the angel molting beginning was exchanged in the 450 thread swap at one point. I'm not sure how many of you who commented are still around here, but if it sounds familiar to you, it is!

HL Fullerton

Posted : July 20, 2016 2:02 am
(@morshana)
Gold Member

Congratulations, HL!

Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Posted : July 20, 2016 2:50 am
(@amoskalik)
Silver Member

Congrats hlf. That's a great list.

Posted : July 20, 2016 3:11 am
(@laurieg)
Bronze Member

Well done, hlf!

P.S. What's your name? Or should we just call you hlf? Or HL?

http://laurie-gail.livejournal.com

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

Posted : July 20, 2016 1:18 pm
(@ishmael)
Gold Member

Multiple Congratulations HL. wotf007
By the way, did you notice the story you critiqued for me finally made a pro sale in Cosmic Roots recently?

Posted : July 20, 2016 10:58 pm
 hlf
(@hlf)
Advanced Member

Thanks, all.

By the way, did you notice the story you critiqued for me finally made a pro sale in Cosmic Roots recently?

I did! And I'm a big fan of seeing stories I got to preview in the wild.

...should we just call you hlf? Or HL?

HL is fine. So's Fullerton. But I'll answer to hlf, too.

HL Fullerton

Posted : July 21, 2016 12:17 am
(@laurieg)
Bronze Member

Ooh, hlf is our mystery person. Is it really a person? Perhaps the writing world is being taken over by genius aliens who will sweep WOTF, thereby creating a new reality in the world and finally guide humanity to a peaceful existence. wotf002

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

Posted : July 21, 2016 4:16 am
(@george-nik)
Silver Star Member

Congrats, HL!

George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 43 stories sold, 29 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

Posted : July 23, 2016 4:15 am
(@emilymccosh)
Bronze Star Member

wotf054

This morning I had a story called "A Sound Like Glass Raindrops" accepted to Unsung Stories!! This is the 9th place I sent it out to, and was starting to believe no one would want it, but there it is, the acceptance letter!

It's coming out this Friday...I'll give you guys the link when it comes out. Yay!

Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

Posted : August 1, 2016 3:43 am
(@jason-parker)
Bronze Member

wotf054

This morning I had a story called "A Sound Like Glass Raindrops" accepted to Unsung Stories!! This is the 9th place I sent it out to, and was starting to believe no one would want it, but there it is, the acceptance letter!

It's coming out this Friday...I'll give you guys the link when it comes out. Yay!

Awesome job!!!!! wotf010 wotf010 wotf010

Posted : August 1, 2016 4:02 am
(@amoskalik)
Silver Member

wotf054

Congrats! Ninth time's a charm.

Posted : August 1, 2016 4:15 am
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Congrats Emily, never stop trying.

Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality-D.R.Sweeney
HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : August 1, 2016 8:14 am
Preston Dennett
(@prestondennett)
Silver Star Member

wotf054

Congratulations, Emily. What a wonderful title!

Preston Dennett
HM x 12
F x 1
Winner, 2nd place, Q1, Volume 35
40 stories published! (and counting!)

Posted : August 1, 2016 1:27 pm
(@ember)
Bronze Member

wotf054

That is awesome! You are an inspiration! (and I really mean that - I've been giving up on a story after 2 or 3 rejections). Thanks for sharing Smile

---------------------------
Call me - "klevang" - my login if registration issues get fixed.

Volume 33: Q2 - R ,Q3 - SHM

The "real" Ember is a good friend and let me borrow her account, she won with "Half Past" in Vol. 31

Posted : August 1, 2016 10:41 pm
(@george-nik)
Silver Star Member

wotf054

Congrats, Emily! Unsung Stories is one of the best places for short fiction (and I'm saying that as a reader, not as a writer -- almost all of the stories they publish are great.)

George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page

Posted : August 2, 2016 2:00 am
(@rharp)
Advanced Member

Congrats, Emily! That's awesome!

http://www.rachelleharp.com

F: Q2 V32
Silver HM: Q3, Q4 V32
HM: Q1, Q2, Q3 V 33

Posted : August 2, 2016 3:03 am
(@emilymccosh)
Bronze Star Member

Thank you all so much!!! wotf041

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

Posted : August 2, 2016 4:15 am
(@emilymccosh)
Bronze Star Member

"A Sound Like Glass Raindrops" is out at Unsung Stories!!!

Posted : August 4, 2016 6:20 pm
(@ishmael)
Gold Member

Wow! That's a remarkable tale Emily. Well done. wotf010

Posted : August 4, 2016 11:25 pm
(@jason-parker)
Bronze Member

Nice job keeping me in suspense on that one, Emily. Also, vivid writing.

Posted : August 5, 2016 12:44 am
Beth Powers
(@bethpowers)
Silver Member

I have a new story out--"Claimed by the Sea" in the August issue of Deep Magic. I think I mentioned this before, but this was one of my Writers of the Future HMs that I only revised slightly before submitting elsewhere.

Beth Powers
-----
Silver HM x 5
HM x 20
Entries x 66
-----
Collected Stories:
Sorcery & Widgets
Runes & Rivets

Posted : August 17, 2016 3:28 am
(@amoskalik)
Silver Member

I have a new story out--"Claimed by the Sea" in the August issue of Deep Magic. I think I mentioned this before, but this was one of my Writers of the Future HMs that I only revised slightly before submitting elsewhere.

Awesome! Congrats.

I just noticed that my Nature story has been translated into German:
Spectrum.de

Not a new sale, but I think it's cool that something I wrote has been translated.

Posted : August 17, 2016 11:39 am
(@laurieg)
Bronze Member

Very cool, Aaron!

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

Posted : August 17, 2016 10:44 pm
(@ishmael)
Gold Member

Well done Beth and Aaron.

DM looks to be a good new market.

I'm also suitably impressed by translation into German. Did that come included in your original contract or was it a new one?

Posted : August 17, 2016 11:03 pm
(@amoskalik)
Silver Member

Well done Beth and Aaron.

DM looks to be a good new market.

I'm also suitably impressed by translation into German. Did that come included in your original contract or was it a new one?

The contract allows them to publish the story in various formats and publications without further payment although I don't recall this one in particular being called out.

Posted : August 18, 2016 1:41 am
(@george-nik)
Silver Star Member

Congrats, Beth and Aaron!

George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page

Posted : August 18, 2016 4:58 am
(@ishmael)
Gold Member

Here's an interesting happenstance. I received an email saying that the status of my submission to Recompose had changed, and when I logged on I discovered it had been changed from Pending to Accepted. Thus far there's been no other contact, but I'm hoping it isn't a case of someone accidentally hitting the wrong button!

If it works out, this is another Flash (900 words) at pro rates, making my third such and fifteenth story acceptance in all. Still waiting for four of those to be published though.

Posted : August 19, 2016 11:09 pm
(@amoskalik)
Silver Member

Here's an interesting happenstance. I received an email saying that the status of my submission to Recompose had changed, and when I logged on I discovered it had been changed from Pending to Accepted. Thus far there's been no other contact, but I'm hoping it isn't a case of someone accidentally hitting the wrong button!

If it works out, this is another Flash (900 words) at pro rates, making my third such and fifteenth story acceptance in all. Still waiting for four of those to be published though.

Here's to hoping. I think it probably is a genuine acceptance and they haven't got around to sending you a formal letter yet.

I've just broken a long dry spell (since January and about 150 submissions) and have been accepted at Perihelion Science Fiction.

Posted : August 20, 2016 12:27 am
(@ishmael)
Gold Member

Good for you Aaron. I confess I was beginning to wonder if the well had run dry myself.

Perihelion is one I've been trying to crack for a while. I've had a couple go over 70 days recently but no joy ultimately.

Of my current total of submissions I've got 8 over 200 days. Whenever this sort of thing happens I'm scared to query because a couple of times it's simply been a rejection that's gone astray. Of course not querying doesn't make any difference to the fate of the story, but we writers can be a terribly superstitious bunch, can't we?

I see from The Grinder there was a Recompose 99 day rejection yesterday. Mine was 99 days as well! wotf015

Posted : August 20, 2016 2:19 am
Page 118 / 160
Share: