4,783 Posts
232 Users
1171 Likes
1.3 M Views
(@george-nik)
Silver Star Member

Congrats, Emily! That's a really impressive sale! wotf009

Congrats, Preston! I also saw your name at the Grinder. wotf008

Also, thanks, everyone! And yes, Matt, it seems I've been quite often in this thread recently, and I hope that this trend continues as I have a lot more stories to sell! wotf013 Anyway, since I announce both story sales and publications, I expect I'll be posting here again soon as four of my sold stories are supposedly to be published over the course of the next few months wotf007

George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 43 stories sold, 29 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

Posted : February 16, 2016 12:30 am
(@ishmael)
Gold Member

An especial congratulation to Emily who (I suspect) must have beaten me out for one of the last few places. I was in the shake-up for Myriad Lands until a few days ago.

However, I have already made VAST improvements to the story and sent it out again. That's the sort of thing you can do sometimes when you haven't looked at it in over 200 days!

And congratulations to Preston.

And George, you might like to stop by Baen's Bar where I FINALLY got around to giving your story a crit. Apologies for taking so long.

1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

Posted : February 16, 2016 3:23 am
(@george-nik)
Silver Star Member

Philip, thanks very much for the crit. I'll go have a look at it as soon as I'm home from work. wotf007

Meanwhile, while I was at work, I had the strangest experience. Remember I just bragged that I have a lot more stories to sell? A bit of hybris, right?

Well, there's not a smiley for this, I think, but I'VE JUST SOLD TWO STORIES!!! There were days when I had five or six rejections, and I'd been dreaming of the day when I'd have multiple acceptances, so at last the day came! wotf003

I sold a reprint to 9Tales, and just one hour later, I sold one of my favorite new stories to one of my favorite publications, Unsung Stories! So yay, hooray, and I don't know what else to say! wotf013

George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page

Posted : February 16, 2016 4:32 am
(@amoskalik)
Silver Member

Philip, thanks very much for the crit. I'll go have a look at it as soon as I'm home from work. wotf007

Meanwhile, while I was at work, I had the strangest experience. Remember I just bragged that I have a lot more stories to sell? A bit of hybris, right?

Well, there's not a smiley for this, I think, but I'VE JUST SOLD TWO STORIES!!! There were days when I had five or six rejections, and I'd been dreaming of the day when I'd have multiple acceptances, so at last the day came! wotf003

I sold a reprint to 9Tales, and just one hour later, I sold one of my favorite new stories to one of my favorite publications, Unsung Stories! So yay, hooray, and I don't know what else to say! wotf013

There ought to be a smiley for that.. maybe a dancing banana wearing shades and lightning bolts coming out of it? Big huge congratulations!

Posted : February 16, 2016 4:44 am
(@s_c_baker)
Gold Star Member

Huzzzaaaah!

Awesome work, Emily! And two stories in one day, George? You're making the rest of us look bad, here. wotf001

ETA: And huzzah to Preston as well! Too many stories being published--I can't keep track.

Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

Posted : February 16, 2016 5:39 am
(@emilymccosh)
Bronze Star Member

Thank you guys, you're awesome!

And I'm with Stewart here. It's hard to keep track of all the people to congratulate, so....

MANY HUGE CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE HERE (THERE WILL NOW BE A FEW DANCING BANANAS BELOW, SO BE FOREWARNED)

wotf049 wotf026 wotf049 wotf026

Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

Posted : February 16, 2016 7:42 am
Preston Dennett
(@prestondennett)
Silver Star Member

Thanks, all. I love this thread. Congrats, George. Two sales in one day is a great sign you're on the right track. I have some more news. I just had a story released called "Reflection," and there's even an illustration. There's something about having your story illustrated that makes it extra special.
http://www.4starstories.com/story_1.htm

Preston Dennett
HM x 12
F x 1
Winner, 2nd place, Q1, Volume 35
40 stories published! (and counting!)

Posted : February 16, 2016 5:28 pm
(@george-nik)
Silver Star Member

Congrats, Preston! And having your story illustrated is definitely cool! wotf007

Thanks, everyone! (I'm thanking you collectively to avoid missing someone, you're so many!) wotf006
Yesterday turned out really great: I had two acceptances AND a hold request (not even one rejection to spoil the day), I signed two contracts (for the one of the new stories and for another soon to be published), and I received a crit for my latest HM from Ishmael down at Baen's Bar. What more can someone ask for? wotf013

George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page

Posted : February 17, 2016 12:54 am
(@mattdovey)
Bronze Star Member

It's official: today, I am Paul.

No, wait. Today, I am a published author. This is the Sound of the End of the World is up at Flash Fiction Online and you can all go read it now, for free.

The world changed for me while I slept, and will never be the same again.

(Also: here's a blog post about the story.)

In summary: wotf045 wotf045 wotf045 wotf045 wotf045 wotf045 wotf045 wotf045

Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

Posted : February 29, 2016 10:16 pm
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Enjoyed reading that Matt. Congratulations on being published.

Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality-D.R.Sweeney
HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : March 1, 2016 12:30 am
(@amoskalik)
Silver Member

Great story Matt. Jerked a tear from my eye, which happens from time to time, but nevertheless an accomplishment wotf008

Posted : March 1, 2016 1:02 am
(@george-nik)
Silver Star Member

Congrats, Matt!

George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page

Posted : March 1, 2016 1:11 am
(@dr-bob)
Advanced Member

My thanks to Martin L. Shoemaker, and Steve Pantazis for their prompt Facebook announcements (do you gentleman sleep?) of today's publication of the March 2016 issue of Galaxy's Edge Magazine http://www.galaxysedge.com/ . It contains Shattered Vessels, a story co-written with 2015 Jovian Award and WOTF Winning author and Hugo nominee (and truly wonderful person) Ms Kary English.

This Lurianic Kabbalah derived story of love, loss, and redemption (See? I can write a happy ending!) only spans Creation to the Olam Haba, i.e. the "World-to-Come". wotf011 And is under 4700 words (See? I can write short!).

This constitutes my 1st SFWA (Science Fiction Writers of America) professional sale -- although (with the recent, false, announcement of my Campbell eligibility, I am carefully checking the small print to be sure.

Kary contacted me with the idea for the story while she attended last years WOTF Winners' Workshop and asked if I'd be interested in sharing my Yiddishkeit and fledgling writing skills. "Um...yeah!" I plotzed at the opportunity and had a great time writing with her. We hope you enjoy this short, narratively complex, but sweet little story.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

P.S. I cannot express what a thrill it is to share a TOC (Table of Contents) with WOTF winners like Kary English, Steve Pantazis, and legends like Mike Resnick, Robert Silverberg, Barry Malzberg, David Drake, Leigh Brackett(!), and author/recording artist Janis Ian, as well as other young rising stars. I'm...ferklempt. Need a moment. Talkst among yourselves.

Finalist: 2 (vol 31 Q1, vol 30 Q1)
HM: 4
https://www.facebook.com/robertbfinegold/

Posted : March 1, 2016 3:45 am
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Awesome achievement Dr. Bob. Quite a list of names to be one of.

Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality-D.R.Sweeney
HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : March 1, 2016 7:53 am
(@emilymccosh)
Bronze Star Member

Congratulations Matt, I LOVED the story!!! wotf049

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

Posted : March 1, 2016 11:09 am
(@s_c_baker)
Gold Star Member

Huzzah, Matt!

Huzzah, Dr Bob!

And Huzzah, Preston if I didn't say that already!

Big round of huzzahs all around! wotf010

My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner

Posted : March 2, 2016 2:26 pm
(@tamlyn)
Bronze Member

Congratulations to everyone who has had success recently (and not so recently!).

Latest story: Lightning Dance (Diabolical Plots October 2017)
http://www.tamlyndreaver.com

Posted : March 2, 2016 8:35 pm
(@george-nik)
Silver Star Member

The brand new Campbellian Anthology (Up and Coming: Stories from the 2016 Campbell-Eligible Authors) is live right here!

You can download it for free until March 31 -- so go ahead and do it right now!

It includes 230 works by 120 authors, among them several well-known names, as well as many forumites and/or WOTF winners, like Zach Chapman, Auston Habershaw, Philip Brian Hall (aka Ishmael), Sean Patrick Hazlett, Holly Heisey, Rachael K. Jones, Steve Pantazis, Jeremy Szal, and myself. Hope I haven't missed anyone, there are so many! wotf007

George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page

Posted : March 4, 2016 1:34 am
(@ishmael)
Gold Member

Oh my. Am I in that list? Oh my.

I mean, yes I knew I was in that list, but somehow in looks more real when you see the actual works.

To show my incompetence I seem to have classed Spatchcock as a novella. wotf019 I wish!

Posted : March 4, 2016 5:53 am
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Platinum Member

I have a lot of reading material ahead of me. Oh my. wotf006

Kudos to everyone on this list, by the way! Everything I've read thus far has been excellent. wotf007

If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, SF, SHM, 1st Place (Q2 V38)
Ticknor Tales
Twitter
4th and Starlight: e-book | paperback

Posted : March 4, 2016 8:09 am
Preston Dennett
(@prestondennett)
Silver Star Member

The brand new Campbellian Anthology (Up and Coming: Stories from the 2016 Campbell-Eligible Authors) is live right here!

You can download it for free until March 31 -- so go ahead and do it right now!

It includes 230 works by 120 authors, among them several well-known names, as well as many forumites and/or WOTF winners, like Zach Chapman, Auston Habershaw, Philip Brian Hall (aka Ishmael), Sean Patrick Hazlett, Holly Heisey, Rachael K. Jones, Steve Pantazis, Jeremy Szal, and myself. Hope I haven't missed anyone, there are so many! wotf007

Thanks, George. This is one huge book, and chock-full of great stuff. Should be quite interesting to see who wins the top prize.

Preston Dennett
HM x 12
F x 1

Posted : March 4, 2016 1:32 pm
(@emilymccosh)
Bronze Star Member

Well, I am absolutely thrilled to report I've had a second story acceptance!!! wotf049

My story "After the Giant's War" will be coming out in this month's issue of New Realm Magazine (have you seen their artwork? It's gorgeous!). You have to pay to read the magazine for the first few months, but then a free version of the stories will go online. wotf015

I am so thrilled and I cannot believe what just happened. It was sort of funny because I'm in my college library and I had to clamp my hands over my mouth to keep from giggling like an idiot... wotf022

Posted : March 7, 2016 4:08 am
(@amoskalik)
Silver Member

Well, I am absolutely thrilled to report I've had a second story acceptance!!! wotf049

My story "After the Giant's War" will be coming out in this month's issue of New Realm Magazine (have you seen their artwork? It's gorgeous!). You have to pay to read the magazine for the first few months, but then a free version of the stories will go online. wotf015

I am so thrilled and I cannot believe what just happened. It was sort of funny because I'm in my college library and I had to clamp my hands over my mouth to keep from giggling like an idiot... wotf022

Awesome news. Congrats!

Posted : March 7, 2016 4:41 am
(@ishmael)
Gold Member

Well done, Emily. As we say in Yorkshire, Ey up, lass, tha's done a' reet there!"

Posted : March 7, 2016 4:51 am
(@emilymccosh)
Bronze Star Member

Thanks guys!

Ishmael... That. Is. Awesome. wotf019

Posted : March 7, 2016 5:01 am
Dustin Adams
(@tj_knight)
Platinum Plus Moderator

You're catching up!
Congorats!

Career:

1x Win
2x NW-F
2x S-F
9x S-HM
11x HM
7x R

Posted : March 7, 2016 5:25 am
Preston Dennett
(@prestondennett)
Silver Star Member

Hooray, Emily. You have every right to giggle!

Preston Dennett
HM x 12
F x 1

Posted : March 7, 2016 1:20 pm
(@s_c_baker)
Gold Star Member

Woohoo! Go Emily! wotf010

Posted : March 7, 2016 4:49 pm
(@rharp)
Advanced Member

Loved your story, Matt! Congrats!

And congrats, Emily, that is sooo exciting! Smile
George - awesome! I'll definitely download it and check it out. Congrats!

http://www.rachelleharp.com

F: Q2 V32
Silver HM: Q3, Q4 V32
HM: Q1, Q2, Q3 V 33

Posted : March 7, 2016 5:00 pm
(@george-nik)
Silver Star Member

Thanks, Rachelle! wotf008

Congrats, Emily!!!

George Nikolopoulos