NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

4,056 Posts
751 Users
1924 Likes
850.8 K Views
Joel C. Scoberg
(@joel-c-scoberg)
Silver Star Member

@m-norris Welcome to the forum! You should check out the online workshop if you have not already done so. It is free and is filled with helpful tips to improve your writing and storytelling.

R: 2 / HM: 6 / SHM: 2
Published stories:
"Drunk Scentless" - Daily Science Fiction (June 2021)
"Interview with the Vampire Hunter" - Every Day Fiction (October 2021)
"Dutch Courage" - 365tomorrows (August 2022)

Posted : March 20, 2023 2:21 am
Spencer_S
(@spencer_s)
Silver Member

@m-norris Welcome to the club! Seems like you're off to a good start, especially since you're younger. Four books and a few novellas? Nice! That early output is good practice. And don't worry about feeling like you don't know what you're doing at times - I feel the same way often enough. In my relatively novice opinion, it's about trusting yourself and writing DESPITE feeling a little lost and confused at times, letting go of fear and allowing yourself to wade through the tempestuous waters of creativity without needing all the answers on the first draft. Anyway, welcome, and I wish you success in your writing! Smile

“Stories are the collective wisdom of everyone who has ever lived. Your job as a storyteller is not simply to entertain. Nor is it to be noticed for the way your turn a phrase. You have a very important job—one of the most important. Your job is to let people know that everyone shares their feelings—and that these feelings bind us. Your job is a healing art, and like all healers, you have a responsibility. Let people know they are not alone. You must make people understand that we are all the same.”
Brian McDonald
2022: Second Place Winner V39 Q1
2021: HM, HM, SHM
2020: R
2019: SHM, R
2018: HM
2017: HM
Check out my fiction and more at spencersekulin.net

Posted : March 20, 2023 7:48 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

@cameron Glad to have you with us, Cameron. Even at eighteen, I can tell by your reading choices you’re an old soul. That should give your writing the depth it needs, and I wish you much success.

Welcome to the Forum!

Click here to JOIN THE WULF PACK!
"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : March 20, 2023 10:36 am
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Welcome to the forum Malachi. Winning WotF will go a long way as you journey through life.

Heed Joel's advice and take the workshop. It's a great resource available to everyone.

Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality-D.R.Sweeney
HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : March 20, 2023 12:13 pm
Todd Jones
(@toddjones)
Gold Star Member

Posted by: @m-norris

I'll say hello here I suppose.

... I am the definition of an amateur.

I want to become a professional novelist ...

First, welcome. waveshello  

Second, WotF is a great way to progress your skill and career goals. Better than the same old circles that make you feel like your beating a dead horse.  deadhorse  

Third, setting a goal to become a novelist is a great step. clapper  

Fourth, this forum is full of great advice, free workshops and so many great people that can help you grow. dancingbanana  

I've said this many times in the forum, but can't seem to express it enough; the people I've met in this forum have helped me grow as a writer over the last year so much. I thank them for their guidance, but I also had to put in the work. I'm still putting in the work and will never stop. I'm addicted to writing now. I hope you are too.

Good luck, and keep on writing. bananarama  

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right."~ Henry Ford
2024 - V41 - Q1-RWC, Q2-Submitted, Q3-WIP, Q4-?
2023 - V40 - Q1-HM, Q2-HM, Q3-R, Q4-HM
2022 - V39 - Q1-SHM, Q2-HM, Q3-SF, Q4-HM
2021 - V38 - Q4-HM
2020 - V37 - Q2-R

Posted : March 20, 2023 3:39 pm
Wulf Moon, Spencer_S, storysinger and 3 people reacted
(@arianna-darkholme)

Hello!  My pen name is Arianna Darkholme - this is also the common name of my main character in any of my stories.  She's like an actor, of sorts.  I submitted a story MANY years ago and have been following the contest all these years.  I keep reading and learning and every year I chicken out because the bar keeps going up and it's getting harder and harder to follow it!  I also follow the podcast and it's helping me learn more than I ever had about being an author and how to get your stuff out there.

Over my teen years I posted a number of stories on other sites but none that I would consider good enough for the contest. Anyway, I look forward to being a part of this forum, learning tips and tricks of the trade and (hopefully) making some writing friends!

~Ari-Darki

Posted : April 4, 2023 9:55 am
Wulf Moon reacted
RHiggins
(@rhiggs)

Hi everyone - 

Taking a moment to introduce myself, as required! I'm a new entrant to WOTF Q2 this year and am slaving away at my Q3 submission. I have done local contests before and used to write as a journalist before changing careers. I always wanted to write fiction full-time, but I think I will start small here! I am looking forward to the community here and the chance to continue and grow my craft. I see there is A LOT of great content here in the forum. If anyone has suggestions on an order of operations on how to begin to digest everything, I'm all ears!

V40. Q2 SF | Q3 SHM | Q4 TBD

Posted : April 4, 2023 4:29 pm
Wulf Moon reacted
Pegeen
(@pegeen)
Bronze Star Member

@rhiggs There's a free class you can take.  It's pretty good. I'm new too, so that's all the advice I can offer.  Best and welcome!

~~ Pegeen ~~
Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place. Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. Writer
V40 - Q1 RWC, Q2 HM,

Posted : April 4, 2023 11:11 pm
RHiggins reacted
MountainSpud
(@jeschleicher)
Silver Star Member

Welcome, @rhiggs! As @pegeen mentioned, the workshop is a fantastic start. As an added incentive, Orson Scott Card is hosting a Zoom Q&A this weekend for those who've finished the workshop. Also, most definitely, check out Wulf Moon's Super Secrets thread, nuggets galore in there. 

Blog: https://www.jeschleicher.com/dopaminesdelight
V40: Q1 3rd Place Winner ("Squiddy")
V39: SHM, HM, HM, HM
V38: HM, SHM, HM, HM
V37: R, R, HM, HM
V36: R

Posted : April 5, 2023 5:19 am
Wulf Moon reacted
MountainSpud
(@jeschleicher)
Silver Star Member

Welcome, @arianna-darkholme! & congrats on entering the contest! Looks like your plugged in already w/ the podcast. Do check out the workshop if you haven't already. Also, Wulf Moon's Super Secrets thread is fantastic! And hit one of us forumites up for a critique swap. Naturally, there's a thread for that where you can swap. 

Posted : April 5, 2023 5:25 am
Wulf Moon reacted
Todd Jones
(@toddjones)
Gold Star Member

Posted by: @rhiggs

Hi everyone - Taking a moment to introduce myself

Welcome. Awesome news that you entered. 

Have fun and keep on weaving those tales. 

2021 - V38 - Q4-HM
2020 - V37 - Q2-R

Posted : April 5, 2023 5:56 am
Wulf Moon reacted
Todd Jones
(@toddjones)
Gold Star Member

Posted by: @arianna-darkholme

I keep reading and learning and every year I chicken out because the bar keeps going up and it's getting harder and harder to follow it! 

Welcome. Don't be afraid to submit.

I almost gave up writing in 2021. I gave an old story an edit using some of the ideas/suggestions from the forum and it earned a HM. It wasn't my best story, but that HM was the inspiration I needed to trudge on. I committed to reading through the forum and asking for help from members. Now, I'm hooked on writing a new story each quarter.

Have fun and keep writing. 

2021 - V38 - Q4-HM
2020 - V37 - Q2-R

Posted : April 5, 2023 6:01 am
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Welcome Arianna. You will find a lot of friendly people here. And the best thing is, we want you to win the contest.

HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : April 5, 2023 9:58 am
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Welcome @rhiggs. A lot of good advice from the welcomes above. Enjoy.

HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : April 5, 2023 10:02 am
Spencer_S
(@spencer_s)
Silver Member

@rhiggs Hello and welcome! Glad to have you here Smile

“Stories are the collective wisdom of everyone who has ever lived. Your job as a storyteller is not simply to entertain. Nor is it to be noticed for the way your turn a phrase. You have a very important job—one of the most important. Your job is to let people know that everyone shares their feelings—and that these feelings bind us. Your job is a healing art, and like all healers, you have a responsibility. Let people know they are not alone. You must make people understand that we are all the same.”
Brian McDonald

Posted : April 8, 2023 8:32 pm
Wulf Moon and RHiggins reacted
Dustin Adams
(@tj_knight)
Platinum Plus Moderator

Posted by: @arianna-darkholme

Hello!  My pen name is Arianna Darkholme - ...  I keep reading and learning and every year I chicken out because the bar keeps going up and it's getting harder and harder to follow it! 

~Ari-Darki

I totally relate to this. All I can suggest is - chase it anyway. If you enjoy the writing and reading and learning, then the time spent isn't wasted, regardless of results. And each time, you have a new story to submit elsewhere, or one you find near and dear, or both!

Career:

1x Win
2x NW-F
2x S-F
9x S-HM
11x HM
7x R

Posted : April 9, 2023 4:16 am
Wulf Moon reacted
Malachi Nielson
(@m-norris)
Bronze Member

I can't believe we are 3 members away from having 10,000 haha.

Welcome All!

Posted : April 9, 2023 8:03 am
Todd Jones
(@toddjones)
Gold Star Member

Welcome All!

Wow!  9,997 Members according to forum home.  

2021 - V38 - Q4-HM
2020 - V37 - Q2-R

Posted : April 9, 2023 8:32 am
Wulf Moon reacted
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Posted by: @toddjones

Heads up for all you lurkers. You could be the lucky one. clapper dancingbanana toast woohoo  

HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : April 9, 2023 8:39 am
Spencer_S
(@spencer_s)
Silver Member

@m-norris Wow, I had no idea there were so many.

Brian McDonald

Posted : April 9, 2023 11:08 am
Malachi Nielson
(@m-norris)
Bronze Member

Welcome All!

And, we just hit 9999. How long will it take for us to get our 10,000th member?   shades clapper  

Posted : April 9, 2023 4:39 pm
MountainSpud
(@jeschleicher)
Silver Star Member

Welcome All!

And, we just hit 9999. How long will it take for us to get our 10,000th member?   shades clapper  

And we're at 10,000!!! clapper clapper clapper

Maybe @johngoodwin can hook our 10,000th forumite up w/ some WotF swag, a mug or pen or hat, perhaps. shades  

Posted : April 9, 2023 7:05 pm
Wulf Moon, storysinger, Joel C. Scoberg and 2 people reacted
(@ckhcecilia)

Hello from Singapore! I've always loved to write and sci-fi has been something that I keep coming back to over the years whether it's books or films. I've submitted to WoTF twice, in Q4 of 2022 and Q1 of 2023 with a story about a virtual world where a lady with dementia periodically goes to "recharge". Her caregiver has contemplated letting them both be permanently "Stuck" there given the difficulties of daily life with dementia. The virtual world allows them both physical prowess that far exceeds human abilities thus compensating for their losses in physical mobility, social engagement and joys in life. For some reason, I keep refining this story and feel like resubmitting it instead of a whole new one. is this a bad idea anyone?

Posted : April 10, 2023 8:14 pm
Joel C. Scoberg
(@joel-c-scoberg)
Silver Star Member

@arianna-darkholme @rhiggs welcome to the forum!

Published stories:

Posted : April 11, 2023 12:31 am
MountainSpud
(@jeschleicher)
Silver Star Member

Welcome to the community, @ckhcecilia! It's a fantastic destination for growth and community! I must say, you're writing an intriguing concept. BUT edit your post to delete the details since this is an anonymous contest and judges do stop by. 

To your question, I suggest writing a new story. Much growth occurs when writing fresh stories. Not to say, you can't revisit and refine the story at a later date. Do check out Wulf Moon's Super Secret thread for gold nugget after nugget of craft advice. Also complete the online writers workshop. It'll guide you step by step on writing a lovely story. All the best! 

Posted : April 17, 2023 10:01 am
MountainSpud
(@jeschleicher)
Silver Star Member

Bonjour, @narmada & welcome to the community! Congrats on your submissions. It takes courage to put your stories out into the world. You can join the current conversation on the V40 Q3 thread where folks post encouragement, progress, and tidbits. Wulf Moon's Super Secrets thread is priceless, full of craft advice, gleaned from years of study and experience. So is the online writers workshop where Orson Scott Card, David Farland, and Tim Powers will guide you through completing a story.

Posted : April 17, 2023 10:14 am
Spencer_S
(@spencer_s)
Silver Member

@narmada Hello and welcome! It's great to have you with us! Smile

Brian McDonald

Posted : April 17, 2023 11:19 am
Wulf Moon, storysinger, Joel C. Scoberg and 1 people reacted
Joel C. Scoberg
(@joel-c-scoberg)
Silver Star Member

@narmada welcome to the forum smiley

Published stories:

Posted : April 18, 2023 12:29 am
Gene Louviere
(@emlouviere)
Bronze Member

Bienvenue, Narmada, from a fellow newcomer. Please consider taking the online course and be sure to check Wulf Moon's Super Secrets.

ps Nice anagram. 

Posted : April 18, 2023 4:14 am
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Welcome Cecilia Kang and Narmada. You have access to all the tools and knowledge needed to succeed as a writer on this forum.

Explore and enjoy.

HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : April 18, 2023 6:31 am
Wulf Moon reacted
Page 127 / 136
Share: