4,071 Posts
754 Users
1937 Likes
851.8 K Views
Todd Jones
(@toddjones)
Gold Star Member

Posted by: @cldeming

Hi! I'm newly registered for the forums.

I've been lurking for the past couple of weeks. I entered the contest for the first time for Q4 and am anxiously awaiting the results.

Mr. Green Clare Mr. Green  

Welcome.  Glad to hear you took the first step and entered. There are a ton of helpful hints, and people, in the forum. Take advantage of the advice and continue writing.

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right."~ Henry Ford
2024 - V41 - Q1-RWC (Resubmit of "HM"), Q2-Submitted, Q3-WIP, Q4-?
2023 - V40 - Q1-HM, Q2-HM, Q3-R, Q4-HM
2022 - V39 - Q1-SHM, Q2-HM, Q3-SF, Q4-HM (Resubmit of "HM")
2021 - V38 - Q4-HM (Resubmit of "R")
2020 - V37 - Q2-R

Posted : October 20, 2022 11:54 am
Anna X, Wulf Moon, K. Z. Richards and 1 people reacted
Todd Jones
(@toddjones)
Gold Star Member

Posted by: @iverrevi

Hello all,

My name is Iver. I heard about WofF and this site from a friend of mine who regularly keeps our group abreast of resources and submissions that we're not aware of. 

I'm happy to be a part of the group. I mostly write epic fantasy set in my world, but have gotten into some collaboration side projects as of late that are going quite well. I've written one novel and two novellas to completion and in various levels of drafting. Currently working on my fourth, which by now you'd think I'd have a plotting and character process down by now, but no. Still working out which tools are the right ones for this story.

I look forward to getting to know you and building our craft together.

Iver.

Welcome.

I have been writing off and on for many years with no real direction than my own. That was a huge mistake on my part. Being active in this forum, reading through advice and getting others to help my writing grow over the last year has been awesome. 

So, if you are up for advice and constructive criticism, this is the place to hone your skill.

2020 - V37 - Q2-R

Posted : October 20, 2022 11:59 am
Anna X and Wulf Moon reacted
Todd Jones
(@toddjones)
Gold Star Member

Posted by: @aivanther

Good Morning everyone.  I'm a long time lurker, probably about 2 years after I completed the online class in...August 2020?  Anyway, I finally decided I should sign up for accountability, maybe some critique swapping, etc.

Congrats on taking the step to be active in the forum.

Welcome.

2020 - V37 - Q2-R

Posted : October 20, 2022 12:00 pm
Todd Jones
(@toddjones)
Gold Star Member

Posted by: @jenvander

Hello, I'm new here. I write mostly fantasy and occasionally science fiction, though the science fiction leans toward science fantasy. 

Welcome. 

Awesome to see so many new people being active in the forum.

2020 - V37 - Q2-R

Posted : October 20, 2022 12:01 pm
Todd Jones
(@toddjones)
Gold Star Member

Posted by: @kz_richards

Hello!

I am new to the forum (obviously) and looking forward to meeting some fellow writers. Submission is in for last quarter and in progress for the next. Hoping to learn and grow with all of you!

Welcome. 

Great to read that you are eager to absorb all the helpful hints that are scattered in this forum. I have learned so much over the last year in this forum and through the contacts I've met here.

Enjoy and keep writing.

2020 - V37 - Q2-R

Posted : October 20, 2022 12:11 pm
Anna X, Wulf Moon, storysinger and 2 people reacted
(@annax)
Silver Member

Posted by: @kz_richards

Hello!

I am new to the forum (obviously) and looking forward to meeting some fellow writers. Submission is in for last quarter and in progress for the next. Hoping to learn and grow with all of you!

Welcome KZ Richards! Glad to have you here! smiley

~ I honestly believe that good stories write themselves. You can always start writing a story, but the characters tell their own tales and if you're lucky enough, you get to merely be in the audience watching everything unfold. ~ 8/1/2022
WotF - 2022, V39 Q4: R
WotF - 2022/2023, V40 Q1: HM; Q2: HM; Q3: HM; Q4:HM

Posted : October 24, 2022 9:32 am
(@annax)
Silver Member

Posted by: @toddjones

I have been writing off and on for many years with no real direction than my own. That was a huge mistake on my part. Being active in this forum, reading through advice and getting others to help my writing grow over the last year has been awesome. 

So, if you are up for advice and constructive criticism, this is the place to hone your skill.

Hi Todd!

I agree with you 100% here. Being on your own can go so far but having others and being able to interact and learn from one another helps you and them grow by leaps and bounds. I really like the comradery and friendships here on this forum. Everyone has so much to offer, whether they have just started writing or have been writing for decades. I am definitely a better writer thanks to the people on this forum, and especially WulfMoon who has an entire treasure trove of amazing tips, tricks, and techniques we all can use and learn from.

I look forward to seeing everyone win! grinning  

~ I honestly believe that good stories write themselves. You can always start writing a story, but the characters tell their own tales and if you're lucky enough, you get to merely be in the audience watching everything unfold. ~ 8/1/2022
WotF - 2022, V39 Q4: R
WotF - 2022/2023, V40 Q1: HM; Q2: HM; Q3: HM; Q4:HM

Posted : October 24, 2022 9:37 am
Wulf Moon, Todd Jones, storysinger and 1 people reacted
(@valkiera)

Hi all, I entered the contest for the first time in June 2022 and earned my first rejection. Go ahead, say it: "Welcome to the club!" Thank you, honored to be here. Now I'm discovering the Blog and Forum - online media has never been a strength for me, so I hope I'm doing this right! Anyway, here I am trying to figure out how this whole "fulfilling my dream of being a writer" thing works and I look forward to learning from all of you. Cheers!

Posted : October 29, 2022 4:41 pm
Anna X, Wulf Moon, DoctorJest and 3 people reacted
(@martin-l-shoemaker)
Platinum Plus Moderator

Welcome aboard! Sorry it took me so long to approve your post. I'm procrast-- I mean, I'm working on my slides for Fyrecon!

http://nineandsixtyways.com/
Tools, Not Rules.
Martin L. Shoemaker
3rd Place Q1 V31
"Today I Am Paul", WSFA Small Press Award 2015, Nebula nomination 2015
Today I Am Carey from Baen
The Last Dance (#1 science fiction eBook on Amazon, October 2019) and The Last Campaign from 47North

Posted : October 29, 2022 5:33 pm
Anna X, Joel C. Scoberg, crlisle and 1 people reacted
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Gold Star Member

Posted by: @valkiera

Hi all, I entered the contest for the first time in June 2022 and earned my first rejection. Go ahead, say it: "Welcome to the club!" Thank you, honored to be here. Now I'm discovering the Blog and Forum - online media has never been a strength for me, so I hope I'm doing this right! Anyway, here I am trying to figure out how this whole "fulfilling my dream of being a writer" thing works and I look forward to learning from all of you. Cheers!

Welcome! Yes, rejection is part of writing. Now you can write something fresh and wonderful for this quarter. grinning  
Be sure to check out the FREE Writers of the Future online workshop. It’s self paced and teaches the basics of storytelling. Then check out Wulf Moon’s Super Secrets thread. Lots of great advice and tips on there. 

So glad you found the forum!

Death and the Taxman, my WotF V39 winning story is now a novel! (Click Here >).

Subscribe to The Lost Bard's Letter at www.davidhankins.com and receive an exclusive novelette!

New Releases:
"Milo Piper's Breakout Single that Ended the Rat War" in LTUE's Troubadours and Space Princesses anthology
"Felix and the Flamingo" in Escape Pod
"The Ghosts of Hart's Gambit" in Renaissance Press's There's No Place anthology
"The Devil's Foot Locker" in Amazing Stories

Posted : October 30, 2022 5:31 am
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Welcome Kiersten.

Posted by: @valkiera

"fulfilling my dream of being a writer"

All it will take to succeed is hours of work and attention to detail. typing The good news is you've found the best place to learn and grow your talents.

Explore and enjoy.

Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality-D.R.Sweeney
HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : October 30, 2022 7:56 am
James (Ease)
(@ease)
Gold Star Member

@valkiera Welcome! Congratulations on the rejection! With no hint of sarcasm, it's honestly a huge achievement that you earned. It means you wrote something and submitted it, and that's an earnest start. Don't worry, unless you're a freak (or three Neil Gaiman's in a trench coat), you're going to get a lot more. But hopefully, with a little luck and a lot of determination, you'll start getting some acceptances, too.

VOL 40 2nd Quarter: Third Place ("Ashes to Ashes, Blood to Carbonfiber")
Past submissions: R - HM - HM - HM - HM - HM - SHM - SHM
www.jd-writes.com

Posted : November 3, 2022 5:44 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

@valkiera Welcome to the Forum, Kiersten!

Youve taken a great step toward advancing your knowledge of craft and gaining supporters that can cheer you on in your writer’s journey. Do post to the current quarter folder, as that’s where the main discussion is always happening.

Don’t miss learning from the best in the WotF Online Workshop!

Welcome aboard! 😊

Click here to JOIN THE WULF PACK!
"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : November 4, 2022 8:58 am
Anna X and storysinger reacted
(@jonah)

Hello All.  I'm Jonah Jones - playwright, screenwriter and sometime short story writer.  Based in South Wales, U.K.

Posted : November 4, 2022 10:24 am
Anna X, Wulf Moon, David Hankins and 3 people reacted
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Welcome Jonah. It's going to be a long flight to LA when you win the contest. 

HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : November 5, 2022 3:10 am
Anna X reacted
James (Ease)
(@ease)
Gold Star Member

@jonah welcome Jonah! There are some great resources here, like the Free Online Workshop ( https://www.writersofthefuture.com/writing-workshop/) and dozens of threads and discussions about the craft.

I'm also a UKer, originally at least. There aren't a lot of us here, but we're pretty well represented by the winners!

www.jd-writes.com

Posted : November 5, 2022 4:35 am
Gersh
(@gersh)

Greetings Everyone. My name is Gersh, and I'm in my twilight years. After enjoying sf for a longtime, I've decided to get serious about writing it. There have been awkward attempts of it in my past, but that was then. Now is the time to start anew. It's wonderful to have a resource like this to help and support aspiring new writers. I'm sure that joining this journey with everyone here will be a positive force in becoming successful.

Posted : November 5, 2022 10:53 am
Anna X, Wulf Moon, David Hankins and 4 people reacted
Joel C. Scoberg
(@joel-c-scoberg)
Silver Star Member

@jonah croeso! I'm also based in South Wales (Swansea). Pob lwc!

@gersh welcome!

Try out the online workshop if you haven't already, it's a brilliant resource (and free). Best of luck in the competition, and check out the critique exchange feed too, it's a great way to get feedback from fellow forumites and to see a range of stories. I've found it a very helpful way to improve my stories and (hopefully) I have helped others too - what this forum is all about.

R: 2 / HM: 6 / SHM: 2
Published stories:
"Drunk Scentless" - Daily Science Fiction (June 2021)
"Interview with the Vampire Hunter" - Every Day Fiction (October 2021)
"Dutch Courage" - 365tomorrows (August 2022)

Posted : November 7, 2022 1:40 am
Anna X, Wulf Moon, Gersh and 1 people reacted
DoctorJest
(@doctorjest)
Platinum Member

@jonah, welcome! I don't think I've ever been to southern Wales, used to spend summers in the northern bit though. Loved it there. Childhood me loved the castles, and adult me still very much contains that child.

@gersh, also, welcome as well. There's a lot to be learned here, and I'd second @joel-c-scoberg's comment about the workshop. There's also Wulf's super secrets threads--which is now so long and well established that you could just read through it for days and find things that are worthwhile. Almost guaranteed to be some things you already know, peppered with ideas and things you perhaps don't. All in all, there are a ton of resources around here, so it's worth just wheeling through some of them and finding out if any of it is something that'll stick for you. 

DQ:0 / R:0 / RWC:0 / HM:15 / SHM:7 / SF:1 / F:1
Published prior WotF entries: PodCastle, HFQ, Abyss & Apex

Posted : November 7, 2022 6:06 pm
Anna X, Wulf Moon, Gersh and 1 people reacted
James (Ease)
(@ease)
Gold Star Member

Welcome @gersh! I've found this contest a great way to focus on my writing and give me a reason to write regularly. Hope it does the same for you!

www.jd-writes.com

Posted : November 8, 2022 10:06 am
Anna X and Gersh reacted
Scott_M_Sands
(@scott_m_sands)
Gold Member

@gersh 
Hey Gersh,
great to hear the way you're viewing your writing now. Best of luck as you pursue it. You're in the right place- there are many amazing writers here, who are even more encouraging than they are talented.
Thanks for saying hi. I wish you well in all your writing endeavors! 

Scott

"If writing is easy, you're doing it wrong." -Bryan Hutchinson
V36-37: R x6
V38: R, HM, R, HM
V39: HM, HM, HM, HM
V40: HM

Posted : November 16, 2022 6:27 pm
Anna X, Gersh and storysinger reacted
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

I'm sure that joining this journey with everyone here will be a positive force in becoming successful

Welcome to the forum Gersh. You've joined us so cruise the threads and learn your way around. 

HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : November 17, 2022 10:14 am
Anna X and Gersh reacted
Spencer_S
(@spencer_s)
Silver Member

@valkiera Congratulations and welcome aboard! I'm happy you're going after your dream - too many people don't even try. Stick with it, keep learning, and have some fun along the way, and I'm sure you'll make it. Congrats on the rejection as well. We're all thoroughly accustomed to those.

“Stories are the collective wisdom of everyone who has ever lived. Your job as a storyteller is not simply to entertain. Nor is it to be noticed for the way your turn a phrase. You have a very important job—one of the most important. Your job is to let people know that everyone shares their feelings—and that these feelings bind us. Your job is a healing art, and like all healers, you have a responsibility. Let people know they are not alone. You must make people understand that we are all the same.”
Brian McDonald
2022: Second Place Winner V39 Q1
2021: HM, HM, SHM
2020: R
2019: SHM, R
2018: HM
2017: HM
Check out my fiction and more at spencersekulin.net

Posted : November 23, 2022 6:23 pm
Spencer_S
(@spencer_s)
Silver Member

@gersh Welcome to the forum! Smile

“Stories are the collective wisdom of everyone who has ever lived. Your job as a storyteller is not simply to entertain. Nor is it to be noticed for the way your turn a phrase. You have a very important job—one of the most important. Your job is to let people know that everyone shares their feelings—and that these feelings bind us. Your job is a healing art, and like all healers, you have a responsibility. Let people know they are not alone. You must make people understand that we are all the same.”
Brian McDonald
2022: Second Place Winner V39 Q1
2021: HM, HM, SHM
2020: R
2019: SHM, R
2018: HM
2017: HM
Check out my fiction and more at spencersekulin.net

Posted : November 23, 2022 6:24 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

@gersh Welcome, Gershwin!

Twilight doesn’t have to mean the last moments before night falls. It can also mean the dawning of a new day.

Glad to hear you are seizing the day with us!

All the beast!

Wulf Moon

"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : November 29, 2022 10:02 am
Anna X and Gersh reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

@jonah Welcome aboard, Jonah!

You’ll find all the tools you need for successful writing in this Forum. You only need supply the effort!

Posted : November 29, 2022 10:05 am
Anna X reacted
(@christaelrod)

Hi,

I'm Christa Elrod, from Florida, USA. I work as a senior graphic designer with skills in illustration, video editing, and 3D design.

Posted : January 4, 2023 5:25 am
Writhmic
(@writhmic)
Silver Member

@christaelrod Welcome to the forum!

V39: -- / SHM / SHM / RWC
V40: HM / SHM / SHM / SHM
V41: RWC / P / WIP / --

Posted : January 4, 2023 8:32 pm
Anna X reacted
Joel C. Scoberg
(@joel-c-scoberg)
Silver Star Member

@christaelrod welcome to the forum smiley

R: 2 / HM: 6 / SHM: 2
Published stories:
"Drunk Scentless" - Daily Science Fiction (June 2021)
"Interview with the Vampire Hunter" - Every Day Fiction (October 2021)
"Dutch Courage" - 365tomorrows (August 2022)

Posted : January 5, 2023 1:55 am
Anna X reacted
Todd Jones
(@toddjones)
Gold Star Member

Welcome to the forum:

2020 - V37 - Q2-R

Posted : January 5, 2023 7:00 am
Anna X reacted
Page 124 / 136
Share: