NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

4,056 Posts
752 Users
1929 Likes
848.7 K Views
(@pmg)
Bronze Member

@storysinger 

Thank for the welcome! I'll be sure to check out the course, I've heard lots of good things about it.

shades

PMG

V32: DNS, DNS, R, DNS
V33: DNS, DNS, R, DNS
V39: DNS, DNS, DNS, RWC
V40: RWC, R, HM, HM
V41: Q1 - R, Q2 - submitted, Q3 - ???

Posted : September 4, 2022 1:12 pm
Anna X and storysinger reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

@pmg Welcome to the Forum, Peter, where all your writing dreams can come true! Take advantage of the collective’s knowledge, and don’t miss the WotF Online Workshop, taught by the finest in the industry.

Welcome aboard!

Click here to JOIN THE WULF PACK!
"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : September 10, 2022 9:29 am
Scott_M_Sands
(@scott_m_sands)
Gold Member

@vrlass 

Hi VR,

welcome to the forum!

There are loads of fantastic people here. Feel free to reach out for critiques, or simply to share this awesome journey of writing. It can be a real inspiration to keep you writing.

Thanks for saying hi!  shades  

Scott

"If writing is easy, you're doing it wrong." -Bryan Hutchinson
V36-37: R x6
V38: R, HM, R, HM
V39: HM, HM, HM, HM
V40: HM

Posted : September 14, 2022 5:24 pm
Anna X reacted
Scott_M_Sands
(@scott_m_sands)
Gold Member

@pmg 

Peter,

so glad you said hi. Nice to meet you!

I've listened to all of the WOTF podcasts over the last year and a bit. There are some really great ones--encouraging, informative, just fun to listen to. A terrific resource.

Nice work racking up those rejections. I'm glad you've kept submitting. All the best with finding a home for them soon. And good luck as you enter the WOTF contest.

Keep staying in touch.  grinning  

Scott

"If writing is easy, you're doing it wrong." -Bryan Hutchinson
V36-37: R x6
V38: R, HM, R, HM
V39: HM, HM, HM, HM
V40: HM

Posted : September 14, 2022 5:37 pm
(@iverrevi)

Hello all,

My name is Iver. I heard about WofF and this site from a friend of mine who regularly keeps our group abreast of resources and submissions that we're not aware of. 

I'm happy to be a part of the group. I mostly write epic fantasy set in my world, but have gotten into some collaboration side projects as of late that are going quite well. I've written one novel and two novellas to completion and in various levels of drafting. Currently working on my fourth, which by now you'd think I'd have a plotting and character process down by now, but no. Still working out which tools are the right ones for this story.

I look forward to getting to know you and building our craft together.

Iver.

Posted : September 22, 2022 12:03 pm
Anna X reacted
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Welcome Iver. Goals are good. Explore and enjoy.

Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality-D.R.Sweeney
HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : September 23, 2022 4:48 pm
Anna X reacted
(@aivanther)
Bronze Star Member

Good Morning everyone.  I'm a long time lurker, probably about 2 years after I completed the online class in...August 2020?  Anyway, I finally decided I should sign up for accountability, maybe some critique swapping, etc.

Vol 37 Q4-SHM
Vol 38 Q1-HM Q2-DNP Q3-DNP Q4-HM
Vol 39 Q1-HM Q2-HM Q3- DNP Q4- HM
Vol 40 Q1- DNP Q2- HM Q3- Subbed

Posted : September 24, 2022 7:38 am
Wulf Moon, Anna X, David Hankins and 2 people reacted
DoctorJest
(@doctorjest)
Platinum Member

Welcome, @aivanther! I think you'll find this is a great place to be. I hesitated for a long time to join in for critique swapping and suchlike, but it can be invaluable to get insights into your writing, and in particular for how you can hone your stories to be a stronger fit for the Contest. Congratulations on taking the plunge!

DQ:0 / R:0 / RWC:0 / HM:15 / SHM:7 / SF:1 / F:1
Published prior WotF entries: PodCastle, HFQ, Abyss & Apex

Posted : September 24, 2022 9:45 pm
Johnathan Knight
(@jo-b)

Hello, good morning.

I've lurked around here a bit recently, but not much, so I'm sure there's still plenty I have to learn.

Not that long ago, I got fairly sick.  I didn't know I was diabetic, and I went into something called DKA, which stands for diabetic ketoacidosis.  That put me in ICU for a long time, hooked up to IVs and deeply miserable.

It made me think a lot about my health, certainly, but it also caused me to reassess other things in my life, as well.  Specifically, my writing.  I've always cared about words, but I feel like I've spent so much of my life surviving that I never got around to being the person I want to be.  Which is to say that I never pursued the craft as fully as I should have.

That is a regret I hope to bury.

Thank you for having me here, and I look forward to learning more about this forum.

Posted : September 25, 2022 6:17 am
Wulf Moon, Anna X, Peter Michael Gray and 1 people reacted
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Gold Star Member

Posted by: @aivanther

Good Morning everyone.  I'm a long time lurker, probably about 2 years after I completed the online class in...August 2020?  Anyway, I finally decided I should sign up for accountability, maybe some critique swapping, etc.

Welcome to the conversation! There’s a lot to be learned by lurking and even more by jumping in. Happy to have you here!

Death and the Taxman, my WotF V39 winning story is now a novel available for pre-order! (Click Here >). The Taxman is Coming on Tax Day (Apr 15th) 2024!

Subscribe to The Lost Bard's Letter at www.davidhankins.com and receive an exclusive story!

New Releases:
"Milo Piper's Breakout Single that Ended the Rat War" in LTUE's Troubadours and Space Princesses anthology.
"Felix and the Flamingo" in Escape Pod.
"The Ghosts of Hart's Gambit" in Renaissance Press's There's No Place anthology.
"The Devil's Foot Locker" in Amazing Stories

Posted : September 25, 2022 6:25 pm
Anna X reacted
DoctorJest
(@doctorjest)
Platinum Member

Posted by: @jo-b

Hello, good morning.

I've lurked around here a bit recently, but not much, so I'm sure there's still plenty I have to learn.

Not that long ago, I got fairly sick.  I didn't know I was diabetic, and I went into something called DKA, which stands for diabetic ketoacidosis.  That put me in ICU for a long time, hooked up to IVs and deeply miserable.

It made me think a lot about my health, certainly, but it also caused me to reassess other things in my life, as well.  Specifically, my writing.  I've always cared about words, but I feel like I've spent so much of my life surviving that I never got around to being the person I want to be.  Which is to say that I never pursued the craft as fully as I should have.

That is a regret I hope to bury.

Thank you for having me here, and I look forward to learning more about this forum.

This makes me really happy to read. I'm always glad when people return to this, I think partly because I left it and returned myself, and partly because the friend who spurred me to return, one whose work I love, has since drifted away from it himself.

I'm glad to see you rejoining! The forums are full of folk who'll encourage and join you on all of this, help to nudge you in the direction of what may work well for the Contest, but also just to exchange thoughts about how we like to write, and...well, everything! I hope you'll find it a great place to be, and I hope one day to see one of your stories as a winning entry in WotF.

(And one of mine too, for that matter...)

Posted : September 25, 2022 10:25 pm
Anna X and David Hankins reacted
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Posted by: @doctorjest

This makes me really happy to read. I'm always glad when people return to this, I think partly because I left it and returned myself,

Like you I left for awhile but came back. Studying and participating on this forum has advanced my ability quite a bit.

I've done the free online WotF course twice and visit Wulf Moon's Super Secrets regularly. typing  

HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : September 26, 2022 4:16 am
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Welcome to former lurkers (@aivanther) and Johnathan. Glad to have you join us.

HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : September 26, 2022 4:18 am
Jarrid Cantway
(@jarridcantway)

Posted by: @brad-r-torgersen

Hey Mr. Brad, I think we need a real stickied Introductions thread, so everyone has a proper place to introduce themselves.

(*poof*)

winking

Hello everyone! grinning

Posted : September 28, 2022 2:12 pm
Jarrid Cantway
(@jarridcantway)

Posted by: @lost_bard
Posted by: @aivanther

Welcome to the conversation! There’s a lot to be learned by lurking and even more by jumping in. Happy to have you here!

I've joined in too!

Posted : September 28, 2022 5:33 pm
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Gold Star Member

Posted by: @jarridcantway
Posted by: @lost_bard

I've joined in too!

I’m glad to see you here! You’ve done some great blogs about the contest recently. How’d you get into writing?

Death and the Taxman, my WotF V39 winning story is now a novel available for pre-order! (Click Here >). The Taxman is Coming on Tax Day (Apr 15th) 2024!

Subscribe to The Lost Bard's Letter at www.davidhankins.com and receive an exclusive story!

New Releases:
"Milo Piper's Breakout Single that Ended the Rat War" in LTUE's Troubadours and Space Princesses anthology.
"The Ghosts of Hart's Gambit" in Renaissance Press's There's No Place anthology.

Posted : September 29, 2022 3:18 am
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Hello Jarrid. Welcome to the forum.

HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : September 29, 2022 10:39 am
(@jenvander)

Hello, I'm new here. I write mostly fantasy and occasionally science fiction, though the science fiction leans toward science fantasy. 

Posted : October 1, 2022 10:15 am
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Welcome aboard Jen. Visit other threads and sample the offerings, your writerly appetite will be sated.

HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : October 1, 2022 4:10 pm
Anna X reacted
Joel Hunter
(@geebmachine)

Hello everyone! My name is Joel Hunter, but I'll sometimes incorporate my online username (like so, Joel "GeebMachine" Hunter) to help distinguish myself from other similarly-named people.
I primarily do voice acting but I've done some writing in recent years, mostly for online projects like The Thomas Creator Collective (Lead Male Voice Actor, Singer, Writer and Voice/Vocal Director from 2015-2019) and The Railways Of Crotoonia (Voice Actor, Singer and Writer) on YouTube, and the "Be Happy; Be Heard" audio comedy podcast (Voice Actor, Writer, Voice Director and Co-Director) and recently the third season of The Glam Gizmo (Voice Actor) on Spotify.
Looking forward to flexing my writing skills here and hopefully make some new acquaintances along the way. 🙂 

This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by Joel Hunter

Posted : October 3, 2022 2:27 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

Posted by: @geebmachine

Hello everyone! My name is Joel Hunter, but I'll sometimes incorporate my online username (like so, Joel "GeebMachine" Hunter) to help distinguish myself from other similarly-named people.
I primarily do voice acting but I've done some writing in recent years, mostly for online projects like The Thomas Creator Collective (Lead Male Voice Actor, Singer, Writer and Voice/Vocal Director from 2015-2019) and The Railways Of Crotoonia (Voice Actor, Singer and Writer) on YouTube, and the "Be Happy; Be Heard" audio comedy podcast (Voice Actor, Writer, Voice Director and Co-Director) and recently the third season of The Glam Gizmo (Voice Actor) on Spotify.
Looking forward to flexing my writing skills here and hopefully make some new acquaintances along the way. 🙂 

Welcome, Joel!

I know you! You attended my panels and Flow State presentation at Salt Lake FanX, and came to my booth and purchased Writers of the Future Vol. 35, and The Illustrated Super Secrets of Writing, Vol. 1. You were dressed as Dr. Robitnik--loved the stache! After sharing your Mr. Burns routine with me, I invited you to join the WotF Forum, and here you are! Exxxxcellent!

I'm happy you found us! Do look around and soak up all the knowledge about the Contest and the craft of writing and storytelling. Don't miss the free Writers of the Future Online Writing Course, taught by the best in the biz! Do ask questions and share in the chat, which mainly happens in the quarter everyone is entering--currently Q1, Volume 40. And I see you already have! I'll go approve your first posts, and I encourage Forumites to get to know you, you're a fungi! Smile

Welcome to the Forum, Joel. We're glad you're here!

All the beast!

Wulf Moon

Forum Moderator

Click here to JOIN THE WULF PACK!
"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : October 4, 2022 9:19 am
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Howdy Joel Hunter. It is beyond cool when someone with so much to offer joins the forum. clapper I look forward to reading your insightful comments. 

HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : October 4, 2022 11:59 am
Joel Hunter and Anna X reacted
(@annax)
Silver Member

Welcome Joel! 😊

~ I honestly believe that good stories write themselves. You can always start writing a story, but the characters tell their own tales and if you're lucky enough, you get to merely be in the audience watching everything unfold. ~ 8/1/2022
WotF - 2022, V39 Q4: R
WotF - 2022/2023, V40 Q1: HM; Q2: HM; Q3: HM; Q4:HM

Posted : October 4, 2022 5:50 pm
Joel Hunter reacted
(@annax)
Silver Member

Posted by: @jenvander

Hello, I'm new here. I write mostly fantasy and occasionally science fiction, though the science fiction leans toward science fantasy. 

Welcome Jen! 😊

~ I honestly believe that good stories write themselves. You can always start writing a story, but the characters tell their own tales and if you're lucky enough, you get to merely be in the audience watching everything unfold. ~ 8/1/2022
WotF - 2022, V39 Q4: R
WotF - 2022/2023, V40 Q1: HM; Q2: HM; Q3: HM; Q4:HM

Posted : October 4, 2022 5:51 pm
Todd Jones
(@toddjones)
Gold Star Member

Welcome

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right."~ Henry Ford
2024 - V41 - Q1-RWC, Q2-Final draft, Q3-WIP (trying not to blow it up and start over)
2023 - V40 - Q1-HM, Q2-HM, Q3-R, Q4-HM
2022 - V39 - Q1-SHM, Q2-HM, Q3-SF, Q4-HM
2021 - V38 - Q4-HM
2020 - V37 - Q2-R

Posted : October 5, 2022 9:17 am
DoctorJest
(@doctorjest)
Platinum Member

Posted by: @jenvander

Welcome! My own SF does the same, which is no surprise to me, as Moorcockian science fantasy was one of my teenage favourites. I do occasionally dig into something a little harder, but I do drift back more to fantasy as a rule.

Posted : October 6, 2022 12:10 am
Anna X and Wulf Moon reacted
K. Z. Richards
(@kz_richards)
Silver Member

Hello!

I am new to the forum (obviously) and looking forward to meeting some fellow writers. Submission is in for last quarter and in progress for the next. Hoping to learn and grow with all of you!

V39:- - - HM
V40:SHM, HM, SHM, HM
V41: HM, WIP

Stories published in Neo-opsis Science Fiction Magazine, Flash Fiction Magazine, 72 Hours of Insanity, and Curios.
Story forthcoming in Murderbugs.

Posted : October 18, 2022 9:20 am
Anna X, Wulf Moon, David Hankins and 1 people reacted
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Welcome to the forum(@kz_richards). May you be a first time winner with your story.

HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : October 19, 2022 4:27 am
K. Z. Richards
(@kz_richards)
Silver Member

@storysinger Thank you! Wouldn't that be nice? I expect the journey will be much longer. Best of luck to you with your writing.

V39:- - - HM
V40:SHM, HM, SHM, HM
V41: HM, WIP

Stories published in Neo-opsis Science Fiction Magazine, Flash Fiction Magazine, 72 Hours of Insanity, and Curios.
Story forthcoming in Murderbugs.

Posted : October 19, 2022 5:40 am
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Gold Star Member

Posted by: @kz_richards

Hello!

I am new to the forum (obviously) and looking forward to meeting some fellow writers. Submission is in for last quarter and in progress for the next. Hoping to learn and grow with all of you!

Welcome to the forum! This is a great place to meet and work with like-minded folks as you hone your writing craft. Be sure to check out the Writers of the Future FREE online workshop. Fantastic lessons in the basics of storytelling taught by contest judges. Then wander over and take a look at the thread with Wulf Moon’s Super Secrets Workshop. There’s gold in there.

Best of success on your submission!

New Releases:

Posted : October 20, 2022 3:28 am
Page 123 / 136
Share: