Notifications
Clear all

NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Page 116 / 116

Ease
 Ease
(@ease)

Welcome, Writhmic! You'll find these forums an invaluable resource. Fantasy is also my home, with science fiction a far-off land I only visited occasionally, but I love writing both. Make sure you pick up a copy of a recent volume (my library had several, you don't necessarily need to buy them) for some great examples of how to win. Best of luck this quarter!

R - HM - HM

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 12, 2022 3:29 pm
Writhmic
(@writhmic)

@ease 

Yup, thanks! I have already read through some of the stories from recent volumes and I'm feeling the pressure begin haha

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 12, 2022 3:54 pm
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Silver Member

@writhmic

Welcome! This is a great place to start your writing journey. Make sure you check out Wulf Moon’s Super Secrets thread. So much great content there that will improve your story. Best of luck with your entry!

V38 Q2: HM
V38 Q3: HM
V38 Q4: SHM
V39 Q1: Submitted

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 12, 2022 7:05 pm
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Gold Star Member
Posted by: @writhmic

Hi! I'm Writhmic. This quarter will be my first submitting. Fantasy is my preferred genre for both reading and writing but I'm hoping to get into science fiction a little more. I've been writing for a few years but as a young author, I don't have much experience to go off of. I'm hoping the forums can help!

Welcome to the forum Writhmic. You'll find a lot of helpful people here. Best of luck for your submission.

Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality-D.R.Sweeney
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
HM-V38/Q1
HM-V38/Q4

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2022 4:19 am
Wulf Moon
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Member Moderator

Hi! I'm Writhmic. This quarter will be my first submitting. Fantasy is my preferred genre for both reading and writing but I'm hoping to get into science fiction a little more. I've been writing for a few years but as a young author, I don't have much experience to go off of. I'm hoping the forums can help!

Welcome , Writhmic!

The Forum will help! It’s helped many, and not only do members level up swiftly after joining, two Forumites a year on average win the Contest, and Volume 38 has FIVE from the Forum including our published finalist, a record!

Do take the WotF Online Workshop. It will help—the basic rules of a working story are discussed in that workshop. And do take advantage of our critique folder—we have many experienced writers ready to help.

Welcome aboard!

Wulf Moon

Forum Moderator 

Click here to JOIN THE WULF PACK!
"Muzik Man" wins Best SFF Story of 2020! Read it in Best of Deep Magic Anthology Two! Includes stories by Super Secrets' alumni KD Julicher and Brittany Rainsdon!
You know WotF Workshop's 24-hour story exercise? Want to see what I wrote? Just released in THINGS WITH FEATHERS: Stories of Hope. Order HERE!
Enjoy my published SUPER SECRETS of Writing articles! FREE to read in every issue of DreamForge Anvil! Don't miss my featured story, "Shaken, Not Stirred." Click HERE!

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2022 11:56 am
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Gold Star Member

Hello and welcome!

If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, SF, SHM, 1st Place (Q2 V38)
Ticknor Tales
Twitter

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2022 2:42 pm
Todd Jones
(@toddjones)

Hello all.

I just started writing again now that I'm retired.  I have dabbled with writing for many years for my own benefit and now I'm actively submitting stories.  I've entered here before, but after reading those submissions I understood why they weren't accepted.  I brushed up a story I drafted a decade ago, submitting it for the 2021 Q4, and received my first HM. 

That HM inspired me to set aside time each day to write.  I'm 220 pages into my first horror novel.  Now for the hard part, keeping motivated...

This post was modified 3 days ago by Todd Jones

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right."~ Henry Ford
2021 Q4: HM

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2022 6:52 pm
Wulf Moon
(@wulfmoon)

@toddjones 

Welcome, Todd! 

Congratulations on your retirement, on finding time to write, and on your HM! That’s a great start!

I encourage you to take the WotF Online Workshop. It will help—the basic rules of a working story are discussed in that workshop. And do take advantage of our critique folder—we have many experienced writers ready to help. May your next submission rise even higher! 

Welcome aboard!

Wulf Moon

Forum Moderator 

"Muzik Man" wins Best SFF Story of 2020! Read it in Best of Deep Magic Anthology Two! Includes stories by Super Secrets' alumni KD Julicher and Brittany Rainsdon!
You know WotF Workshop's 24-hour story exercise? Want to see what I wrote? Just released in THINGS WITH FEATHERS: Stories of Hope. Order HERE!
Enjoy my published SUPER SECRETS of Writing articles! FREE to read in every issue of DreamForge Anvil! Don't miss my featured story, "Shaken, Not Stirred." Click HERE!

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2022 9:41 pm
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Gold Star Member

Hello Todd. Congratulations on the HM. Writing every day will help you place higher sooner than later. typing  

Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality-D.R.Sweeney
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
HM-V38/Q1
HM-V38/Q4

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2022 4:08 am
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Silver Member

@toddjones 

Welcome! You’ll find a lot of great tips and advice on writing just trolling through the old threads, and lots of folks willing to help you improve your craft. Make sure you check out Moon’s Super Secrets once you finish the workshop.

Happy writing!

V38 Q2: HM
V38 Q3: HM
V38 Q4: SHM
V39 Q1: Submitted

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2022 5:12 am
Cray Dimensional
(@craydimensional)
Silver Member

@toddjones welcome to forum. I hope your enjoying your retirement. I’m a few years out still. Congratulations on you HM. I recommend to wotF online course and super secrets.

Small steps add up to miles.
V38: R, R, HM, HM
V39: P

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2022 9:37 am
DoctorJest
(@doctorjest)
Silver Member

@toddjones, I'll add my welcome to the gathering throng! I also earned my first HM for a story I'd set aside years earlier, and my first SHM was similar. Since those, the Contest has been a touchstone for me in keeping my writing habits alive, and the community rather like the virtual equivalent of stepping into the bar from Cheers--only, you know, a little more focused on writing than on drinking. I love it here, and I hope you will too!

R: 0 / HM: 10 / SHM: 4 / SF: 0 / F: 1
Entered for Q1.V39 / Q2.V39 draft zero ~85%
Last result: HM for Q4.V38
Revised SHM ('Ashwright') at PodCastle

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2022 11:25 am
Wulf Moon liked
Wulf Moon
(@wulfmoon)
Posted by: @doctorjest

@toddjones, I'll add my welcome to the gathering throng! I also earned my first HM for a story I'd set aside years earlier, and my first SHM was similar. Since those, the Contest has been a touchstone for me in keeping my writing habits alive, and the community rather like the virtual equivalent of stepping into the bar from Cheers--only, you know, a little more focused on writing than on drinking. I love it here, and I hope you will too!

“Norm!” 😁

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2022 12:20 pm
Page 116 / 116
Share: