Clear all

NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Page 112 / 116

AliciaCay
(@aliciacay)
Bronze Star Member
Posted by: @jeri_lerhold

Hello everyone, I'm glad to be here

My name is Jeri, short for Jeremiah. At the moment I am working as an analytical writer for a company that produces software employee monitoring. But in my free time I am fond of writing and creating illustrations and really hope that someday my hobby will become a full-fledged work.

Welcome Jeri!

That's cool you're an analytical writer for work, a far cry from fantasy-fiction writing, isn't it? 😉

Best of luck entering, and learning, and with your writing! clapper  

Warmly,
~A. ♥

V32: HM (Q4)
V33: HM, HM, SHM, HM
V34: R, R, HM, HM
V35: HM, HM, R, HM
V36: R, R, SHM, R
V37: SHM, FINALIST, HM, SHM
V38: SF, X, tbd, tbd
https://aliciacay.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 17, 2021 6:51 pm
MountainSpud
(@jeschleicher)
Bronze Star Member

My name is Jeri, short for Jeremiah. At the moment I am working as an analytical writer for a company that produces software employee monitoring. But in my free time I am fond of writing and creating illustrations and really hope that someday my hobby will become a full-fledged work.

Hello, Jeri & welcome! 

You're a renaissance creative, I see! With writing and illustration, you're at the right place as WotF has a contest for both. I'm envious since I'm solely a writer. My stick figures come out as all wobbly, seemingly nervous or scared when that's not my intent. As for writing, @scott_m_sands mentioned an amazing resource with Wulf Moon's Super Secrets. Additionally, WotF provides an online writers workshop taught by David Farland, Orson Scott Card, and Tim Powers. It's hard to beat that story-telling troika. Besides those two, the forum's a great resource to connect w/ others with similar ambitions: to be full-time story-tellers.

Happy writing & happy illustrating! 

John Eric

R X 3
HM X 5
SHM X 1

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 17, 2021 8:44 pm
Alexandra Miracle
(@alexandramiracle)

@aliciacay

Dear Alicia,

Nice to meet you.

I love happy stories)

the most important thing is to create and visualize the beauty of human soul and moral principles.

I really like the idea to create happy stories about protecting human rights)

If you can recommend any publishers, my pleasure for your advice.

Respect and Honor,
Alexandra Miracle

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 20, 2021 8:42 am
AliciaCay liked
C.S. Hadebe
(@cs_hadebe)

So! My first post in the WoTF forum! I'm Cebo Hadebe, but I prefer the pen name: C.S. Hadebe.

I'm a 22-year-old fantasy writer (though I do soft Sci-Fi and Horror, too) based in South Africa. Quite excited to be here, occupying the same space as some of the past (and present) greats in speculative fiction writing. This is the place I want to be. I want to be among the best speculative writers as the years go by, and not placing in my first entry in Q1 is a tell-tale sign that more work and more words still need to be done! I think this is the place to culture that hunger into something that will last.

Privileged to be here! Happy learning and even more writing everyone.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 24, 2021 9:03 am
AliciaCay
(@aliciacay)
Bronze Star Member
Posted by: @cs_hadebe

So! My first post in the WoTF forum! I'm Cebo Hadebe, but I prefer the pen name: C.S. Hadebe.

I'm a 22-year-old fantasy writer (though I do soft Sci-Fi and Horror, too) based in South Africa. Quite excited to be here, occupying the same space as some of the past (and present) greats in speculative fiction writing. This is the place I want to be. I want to be among the best speculative writers as the years go by, and not placing in my first entry in Q1 is a tell-tale sign that more work and more words still need to be done! I think this is the place to culture that hunger into something that will last.

Privileged to be here! Happy learning and even more writing everyone.

Welcome C.S.!  

We're happy to have you here, and dare I say, you've come to the right place. 😊

~A.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 24, 2021 10:35 pm
Cray Dimensional
(@craydimensional)
Silver Member

@cs_hadebe Welcome C.S.

Small steps add up to miles.
V38: R, R, HM, HM
V39: P

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 25, 2021 5:12 am
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Gold Star Member

Welcome to the forum,  C.S. Hadebe

You have a good attitude for elevating your skills. This is the place to do that, enjoy.

Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality-D.R.Sweeney
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
HM-V38/Q1
HM-V38/Q4

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 25, 2021 5:31 am
Scott_M_Sands
(@scott_m_sands)
Silver Member

@cs_hadebe 

Welcome C.S. Hadebe!

Your attitude is great. Improve your writing. I also like that you mentioned 'years' and something that 'will last'. Most don't achieve high success in a matter of days or on their first attempt. Have a look at Kevin J. Anderson who got a STACK of rejections before getting published. Look at him now! Persistence is a sensible-- and necessary--choice.

You've probably already browsed the forums C.S., but be sure to check out Wulf Moon's Super Secrets. There's also some great, practical tips in the 'AMA' thread, where contest judges were interviewed.

Be sure to ask any questions you have. Have fun writing!

"Many people will tell you that you can't write. Let no one say that you don't." -Ken Rand
V36-37: R x6
V38: R, HM, R, HM

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 25, 2021 4:54 pm
C.S. Hadebe
(@cs_hadebe)
Posted by: @aliciacay

Welcome C.S.!  

We're happy to have you here, and dare I say, you've come to the right place. 😊

~A.

Thank you for the warm welcome, @aliciacay ! I can already feel it in the air that I've come to the right place Smile

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 26, 2021 3:02 am
C.S. Hadebe
(@cs_hadebe)
Posted by: @storysinger

Welcome to the forum,  C.S. Hadebe

You have a good attitude for elevating your skills. This is the place to do that, enjoy.

Thank you for the welcome, @storysinger! Smile

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 26, 2021 3:07 am
C.S. Hadebe
(@cs_hadebe)
Posted by: @scott_m_sands

@cs_hadebe 

Welcome C.S. Hadebe!

Your attitude is great. Improve your writing. I also like that you mentioned 'years' and something that 'will last'. Most don't achieve high success in a matter of days or on their first attempt. Have a look at Kevin J. Anderson who got a STACK of rejections before getting published. Look at him now! Persistence is a sensible-- and necessary--choice.

You've probably already browsed the forums C.S., but be sure to check out Wulf Moon's Super Secrets. There's also some great, practical tips in the 'AMA' thread, where contest judges were interviewed.

Be sure to ask any questions you have. Have fun writing!

@scott_m_sands, thank you for the welcome! And I'll be sure to do all those things you've written down!

Writing is a bittersweet journey. The WoTF contest is an elite speculative fiction arena, a place where the best are published and the greats are discovered from all over the world. I feel entitled for absolutely nothing. If anything I relish the cutthroat competition, fierce writers are the only way to get the best writings out of myself. I've already primed myself for rejections and disappointments. If the great writers had to go through the road paved with rejections and hard writing to get to where they are now, I'm more than willing to bleed with a smile on my face.

And I'll do that! (Asking questions and writing away!) Smile

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 26, 2021 3:20 am
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Silver Member

@cs_hadebe 

Welcome C.S.! This is a great place to feed that hunger. In addition to Scott’s advice on browsing the forum, be sure to go through the Writers of the Future workshop. It’s free and has advice on story, formatting, plotting and more given by three fantastic SF/F authors.

Glad you’re here!

V38 Q2: HM
V38 Q3: HM
V38 Q4: SHM
V39 Q1: Submitted

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 26, 2021 3:58 am
Wulf Moon liked
Wulf Moon
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Member Moderator

Welcome, Jeri!

We’re happy you found us! You’re already working in writing nonfiction, and words are words. May you be able to shift those words into fiction as time goes on! 

Do post to the quarter you plan to enter, take advantage of critique swaps, and don’t forget to take the WotF Online Workshop. It really helps!

Welcome aboard!

Wulf Moon

Forum Moderator 

Click here to JOIN THE WULF PACK!
"Muzik Man" wins Best SFF Story of 2020! Read it in Best of Deep Magic Anthology Two! Includes stories by Super Secrets' alumni KD Julicher and Brittany Rainsdon!
You know WotF Workshop's 24-hour story exercise? Want to see what I wrote? Just released in THINGS WITH FEATHERS: Stories of Hope. Order HERE!
Enjoy my published SUPER SECRETS of Writing articles! FREE to read in every issue of DreamForge Anvil! Don't miss my featured story, "Shaken, Not Stirred." Click HERE!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2021 12:29 am
Wulf Moon
(@wulfmoon)

@cs_hadebe 

Welcome, CS!

We’re always happy to see writers from another country and culture—it adds   diversity to our community, and to the rich tapestry of storytelling.

I see you’re already enjoying commenting elsewhere, glad you dove right in! Don’t miss the WotF Online Workshop, it really helps! Did you watch the gala? It’s been recorded. I wrote the daily blogs to give you a feel for being there, I encourage you to check those out as well, especially Day 7.

May you always be hungry for growth. Welcome aboard!

Wulf Moon

Forum Moderator

"Muzik Man" wins Best SFF Story of 2020! Read it in Best of Deep Magic Anthology Two! Includes stories by Super Secrets' alumni KD Julicher and Brittany Rainsdon!
You know WotF Workshop's 24-hour story exercise? Want to see what I wrote? Just released in THINGS WITH FEATHERS: Stories of Hope. Order HERE!
Enjoy my published SUPER SECRETS of Writing articles! FREE to read in every issue of DreamForge Anvil! Don't miss my featured story, "Shaken, Not Stirred." Click HERE!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2021 12:37 am
Cray Dimensional
(@craydimensional)
Silver Member

@jeri_lerhold welcome

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2021 4:46 am
Storm Humbert
(@storm)

Hi everyone,

I'm Storm Humbert. I'm a winner of the Writers of the Future contest. My story, "Stolen Sky," appeared in the Writers of the Future Anthology, Volume 36. I've never been active in the forum before, but I had such an incredible experience at the workshop that I want to be here to help however I can. Moon invited me to help out, and I leapt at it. As I said in my speech at the gala, I am the product of a long line of fantastic teachers and mentors, so I would really like to be that for anyone here as much as I can. I look forward to interacting with you and helping you along in your efforts to improve your craft.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 1, 2021 4:04 pm
Scott_M_Sands
(@scott_m_sands)
Silver Member

@storm 

Welcome, Storm! It's great to have you here. And I think your attitude of wanting to help others will fit in perfectly with others on this forum.
Btw, if you'd like to let us know when your working on something else, we'd love to hear about it.  grinning  

Scott

"Many people will tell you that you can't write. Let no one say that you don't." -Ken Rand
V36-37: R x6
V38: R, HM, R, HM

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 2, 2021 6:11 am
Wulf Moon
(@wulfmoon)

@storm 

Welcome, Storm! 

Congratulations on your win in Writers of the Future, and thank you for asking me after I addressed the workshop on where you could help out. You’ll find plenty here sincerely trying to advance their skills so that they can be published and read. Having spent some time with you already, I’m certain you’ll give them great advice.

Thank you for turning around and helping those just behind with the knowledge you have gained. That embodies the spirit of this Contest, and we warmly welcome you!

Welcome aboard!

Wulf Moon

Forum Moderator

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 2, 2021 10:14 am
Cray Dimensional
(@craydimensional)
Silver Member

@storm Welcome Storm. Thank you for joining us.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 2, 2021 10:31 am
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Gold Star Member

Welcome to the forum Storm. We forumites that plan to stand at the podium you visited in LA will be more than happy to glean every bit of knowledge you wish to share. Thank you for offering your insights.

Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality-D.R.Sweeney
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
HM-V38/Q1
HM-V38/Q4

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 2, 2021 11:28 am
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Silver Member

@storm Welcome! We’re excited to have you and learn from your experience. One thing I’m loving about this writer’s community is how people give back and pay it forward. 

V38 Q2: HM
V38 Q3: HM
V38 Q4: SHM
V39 Q1: Submitted

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 2, 2021 2:45 pm
Joel C. Scoberg
(@joel-c-scoberg)
Bronze Member

@storm 

Welcome Storm! It's great to have you in the forum. It's so helpful for us budding writers to have people further down the road lend us some of their advice and wisdom.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 2, 2021 3:00 pm
MountainSpud
(@jeschleicher)
Bronze Star Member

@cs_hadebe 

Welcome, C.S! We're stoked that have you here! Looks like others have already pointed you to some great resources. Another competitive advantage, in my opinion, can be found by subscribing to Dave Farland's newsletter at https://mystorydoctor.com/ He frequently sends out emails with tips on how to spin a great speculative story. From these you can continue to hone your craft, & importantly, from these, you can get insight into what he's looking for in a winning story. 

R X 3
HM X 5
SHM X 1

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 6, 2021 8:29 am
MountainSpud
(@jeschleicher)
Bronze Star Member
Posted by: @storm

Hi everyone,

I'm Storm Humbert. I'm a winner of the Writers of the Future contest. My story, "Stolen Sky," appeared in the Writers of the Future Anthology, Volume 36. I've never been active in the forum before, but I had such an incredible experience at the workshop that I want to be here to help however I can. Moon invited me to help out, and I leapt at it. As I said in my speech at the gala, I am the product of a long line of fantastic teachers and mentors, so I would really like to be that for anyone here as much as I can. I look forward to interacting with you and helping you along in your efforts to improve your craft.

Hi, Storm! I loved "Stolen Sky." With its vivid descriptions, lovely prose, and poignant theme about exploitation, it certainly has stuck with me. And as an aside, what an awesome illustration by Anh Le to go with it! 

I know I speak for many to give thanks for you wanting to pay it forward! Welcome! 

R X 3
HM X 5
SHM X 1

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 6, 2021 3:30 pm
David Mollett
(@dk)

hi! just wanted to say hi, as you do. i'm really nice, honest. for the record, i think humans have a long way to go before they will be admitted into the next phase of evolution. so let's get there quicker than those ETIs think, eh? otherwise, they will prevent us...

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 11, 2021 3:09 pm
David Mollett
(@dk)

that wasn't a nice post, i have just realised. this is my nice post. i love this competition. it has made me disciplined with my writing. so thank you, wotf. i have started to think 'what must the reader think of this' i reckon, once you start thinking like that, that's when you are a writer...?

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 11, 2021 3:36 pm
Wulf Moon liked
Wulf Moon
(@wulfmoon)

@dk Welcome to the Forum, David!

You're writing, so you're a writer. When you start thinking about readers and editors, you are considering who might enjoy your writing and where to send it to be published. To get published, you do have to get some mastery of craft and story mechanics. That's where the Writers of the Future Online Workshop can help! Don't miss that, it's taught by the same instructors that teach the winners when they come to Hollywood for their workshop and award ceremony. It will help you hone your craft!

Welcome aboard!

Wulf Moon
Forum Moderator

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 12, 2021 5:40 pm
AliciaCay
(@aliciacay)
Bronze Star Member
Posted by: @cldeming

Hi! I'm newly registered for the forums.

I've been lurking for the past couple of weeks. I entered the contest for the first time for Q4 and am anxiously awaiting the results.

Mr. Green Clare Mr. Green  

Welcome, Clare. I think waiting for results is half the fun 😉

Let us know if you need help with anything, and you can always PM me too; resources, links, places to submit, random questions, and I do proofreading for people's WotF contest entry stories, always free to forumites.

Warmly,
~A. ♥

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 15, 2021 8:31 pm
AliciaCay
(@aliciacay)
Bronze Star Member

Okay, also wow! Lots of new people coming in, so Welcome everyone! 

My offer above stand for all, btw.

Do let us know if you need help with anything, and you can always PM me too; resources, links, places to submit, random questions, and I do proofreading for people's WotF contest entry stories, always free to forumites.

Warmly,
~A. ♥

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 15, 2021 8:41 pm
Disgruntled Peony
(@disgruntledpeony)
Gold Star Member

I really need to start being more active in here again. Welcome, everyone! grinning  

tumblr lxr1jzgeRy1rn95k2o1 500

If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, SF, SHM, 1st Place (Q2 V38)
Ticknor Tales
Twitter

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 16, 2021 9:43 am
Page 112 / 116
Share: