Clear all

NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Page 111 / 112

Wulf Moon
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Member Moderator
Posted by: @tiinag

Hello

I've been lurking here for a few days, trying to decide if I should post anything. I found that these forums are filled with information and support, so here's me saying hi!, so that I don't feel creepy, like I'm reading other people's conversations with binoculars from the bushes behind a dumpster.

I submitted for the first time this Q3, and am looking to have another one for Q1

Welcome, TGio! Glad you came out from the bushes behind the dumpster! giggle  

Congratulations for entering in Q3, and we're glad you're working on your next. As you'll see from observing people's signature lines, most writers work their way to the top, growing their skills with every entry they make until they get their win. One thing that will help with that is the WotF Online Writing Course, so don't miss that. I believe 5,000 people have taken the course since its inception, and you walk away with a story you can enter! Don't forget to say hi in the topic folder for the quarter you enter, as you'll find much support there. There's plenty of spots to get your writing questions answered as well, so don't be afraid to post them.

Don't miss following the winners in the daily blog while they're in Hollywood for the workshop. And the live-streamed gala on Friday, October 22nd where they receive their awards!

Welcome aboard!

Wulf Moon
Forum Moderator

Click here to JOIN THE WULF PACK!
"Muzik Man" wins Best SFF Story of 2020! Read it in Best of Deep Magic Anthology Two! Includes stories by Super Secrets' alumni KD Julicher and Brittany Rainsdon!
You know WotF Workshop's 24-hour story exercise? Want to see what I wrote? It's about to be released in the pro-pay anthology THINGS WITH FEATHERS. Order HERE!
I've been invited back to Fyrecon Online to teach my Zoom master workshops Nov. 18th—21st. Four to chose from! Which one will help you level up? Explore HERE ... but you better hurry. They always sell out and are already half full!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 6, 2021 1:27 am
TGio
 TGio
(@tiinag)

@wulfmoon Thank you for the tips! I am nearing the end of the course, I'm taking it slowly and finding tools that works for me. All these free resources are amazing 😊 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 6, 2021 6:52 am
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Gold Member

The coolest thing of all (@tiinag) is you've only sampled a small portion of this forum. Enjoy what's freely given and craft your winning story.

Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality-D.R.Sweeney
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
HM-V38/Q1

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 6, 2021 3:34 pm
AliciaCay, TGio, Wulf Moon and 1 people liked
Bobbie Bailey
(@stormyskye)

@wulfmoon Sorry it took me so long to get back here. This seems like a place where I'll be spending lots of time this winter while I'm off work. I appreciate the welcome and looking forward to reading up and learning as I write the second book in a series I'm working on. lol I know... Never start with a series, but I was inspired and still rolling with it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 9, 2021 10:00 pm
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Gold Member
Posted by: @lizbusby

(@tiinag)I love knitting, doing yoga, long-distance running, and video games.

hey! Maybe you could combine long-distance running and digital recording and be the first to write a story that has the stamina of a marathon. 

HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
HM-V38/Q1

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 10, 2021 3:01 pm
AliciaCay liked
Katlynn Padgett
(@kpadgett)

Hello everyone! My name is Kate Smile I am super excited to be on this forum and participating in this years Q1 for my first ever entry. I don't know exactly what to say other than hi, my names Kate and I have a serious writing problem. 

You can ask my Fiance, I have totes filled with pages and pages of writing. 

Best of luck everyone!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 10, 2021 3:25 pm
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Bronze Star Member

@kpadgett 

Welcome Kate! You found the right place for those with writing problems! Dig around the forum and you’ll find a lot of great content, hints, and tips in the threads. I highly recommend digging into Wulf’s Super Secrets thread. It will change how you look at writing. 

V38 Q2: HM
V38 Q3: Submitted
V38 Q4: Submitted

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2021 1:21 pm
Wulf Moon
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Member Moderator
Posted by: @kpadgett

Hello everyone! My name is Kate Smile I am super excited to be on this forum and participating in this years Q1 for my first ever entry. I don't know exactly what to say other than hi, my names Kate and I have a serious writing problem. 

Best of luck everyone!

Welcome, Kate! As I like to say, Writing is its own form of insanity, and the only cure for it is to write! Smile

We're happy you've found us, and I've already written to you personally on how to get the most from the Forum and the Writers of the Future Online Writing Course. Dig in, and have fun! We look forward to cheering you on to further success! Don't miss the daily winners' blog starting this weekend, where you can follow along on all they're doing at the workshop. I'll be your host! And do tie in to the live-streamed achievement awards on Friday, October 22nd. I saw a video that said it starts at 7:30 PM Pacific Time, but I'd double check that. It's a magical event, the Oscars of science fiction and fantasy! Tune in that day at writersofthefuture.com.

All the best,

Wulf Moon
Forum Moderator

Click here to JOIN THE WULF PACK!
"Muzik Man" wins Best SFF Story of 2020! Read it in Best of Deep Magic Anthology Two! Includes stories by Super Secrets' alumni KD Julicher and Brittany Rainsdon!
You know WotF Workshop's 24-hour story exercise? Want to see what I wrote? It's about to be released in the pro-pay anthology THINGS WITH FEATHERS. Order HERE!
I've been invited back to Fyrecon Online to teach my Zoom master workshops Nov. 18th—21st. Four to chose from! Which one will help you level up? Explore HERE ... but you better hurry. They always sell out and are already half full!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2021 3:33 pm
AliciaCay
(@aliciacay)
Bronze Member
Posted by: @kpadgett

Best of luck everyone!

Hi Kate, welcome! smiley  

A writing problem?! Ah! I'd say you should probably get that looked at, but uhhh... whispers: I have the same problem.

Best of luck on your Q1 submission!

Warmly,
Alicia Cay ♥

V32: HM (Q4)
V33: HM, HM, SHM, HM
V34: R, R, HM, HM
V35: HM, HM, R, HM
V36: R, R, SHM, R
V37: SHM, FINALIST, HM, SHM
V38: SF, X, tbd
Ten story publications! (including Air and Nothingness Press, Third_Flatiron, and three with WordFire Press ♥)
https://aliciacay.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2021 5:18 pm
Scott_M_Sands
(@scott_m_sands)
Bronze Star Member

Welcome, Kate!
Great to hear you'll be having a go at your first ever entry with Q1-an excellent goal.
Be sure to ask any questions if you have any, and check out the rest of the forum. There are some amazing keys here (*note again Wulf's Super Secrets).

Best of luck,

Scott

"Many people will tell you that you can't write. Let no one say that you don't." -Ken Rand
V36-37: R x6
V38: R, HM, P

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2021 5:21 pm
AliciaCay
(@aliciacay)
Bronze Member
Posted by: @alexandramiracle

Good day.

My name is Alexandra Miracle. I write and draw. My main career direction is Design and teaching, but I love to read and write) I want to achieve the opportunity to be screened. I have started with the stories. I'm inspired by fairytales. But also I like to research. One of my favorite academic writers is Prof. Steven Connor. Is it correct to write here any names? 

It's an honor to be here. 

My pleasure for the opportunity to be (the) writer of the Future. 

Hi Alexandra, 

I love that you're inspired by fairy tales! There is a great series of fairy tale retelling stories from Air and Nothing Press: Upon a Once Time, Upon a Twice Time, and Upon a Thrice Time (being released soon). Two of our forumites have stories in them also! And the stories are so beautiful. I highly recommend them. ♥

(I also love research, LOL)

Welcome to the Forum! smiley  

Warmly,
Alicia Cay

Ten story publications! (including Air and Nothingness Press, Third_Flatiron, and three with WordFire Press ♥)

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2021 5:22 pm
AliciaCay
(@aliciacay)
Bronze Member
Posted by: @stormyskye

Hello Smile

I'm a newbie here. Just entered my first WOTF contest and looking forward to getting to know you all.

I'm a single Mom of four now adult children with a part time job and just looking to getting to know some new people and enhance my writing skills along the way.

Hi Bobbie, welcome to the Forum, and 

Good Luck on your first entry!! smiley  

Warmly,
Alicia Cay ♥

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2021 5:29 pm
Wulf Moon liked
AliciaCay
(@aliciacay)
Bronze Member
Posted by: @folkloremipsum

Hello all!

I am a stay-at-home mom with a fair few trunked NaNoWriMo novels. My husband is Donovan Cedars here, and he's been encouraging me to enter Writers of the Future for several quarters. Last quarter I actually did! Our kids are small, but writing again is making me feel more like myself after years of the incessant drone of Cocomelon. The littles are starting to learn that Mommy at her laptop is actually busy, and not 100% at their disposal for snacks and Octonaut playtime. So very grateful to reclaim this part of myself it was a mistake to leave by the wayside. Glad to be here!

Hi, welcome to the Forum!

I had to google Cocomelon, LOL -- but I learned something new! 😉

Congrats on entering your first quarter, and I understand what you mean about reclaiming this part of yourself. Writing brings me to life, and so I understand how it could be. ♥

Best of luck to you!

Warmly,
Alicia Cay

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2021 5:37 pm
AliciaCay
(@aliciacay)
Bronze Member
Posted by: @ginutg

Hi all

My name is Ginu. I had submitted an entry in Quarter running from April to June 2021. I was planning to submit another in the quarter that ended three days ago but I got swamped. I live in Toronto and have found the forum quite interesting. I would love critiques and hope I could provide help where possible.

Hi Ginu, welcome to the Forum! smiley  

Best of luck on your future submission -- I know I'm already working on reading it and can't wait, LOL. 😉

Warmly,
Alicia Cay ♥

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2021 5:43 pm
ginutg and Wulf Moon liked
AliciaCay
(@aliciacay)
Bronze Member
Posted by: @merb

Hello everyone, a non-native speaker here! My name is Meriam, I live in Morocco, and last quarter I finally mustered up the courage to submit an entry. I just began exploring the forum and I am highy impressed by the quality of the ressources here.

Hi, Meriam. Welcome to the Forum.

Oooh, Morocco, how lovely!

Well done on submitting your first entry! I thing it gets easier to submit from here 😉

Best of luck to you.

Warmly,
Alicia Cay ♥

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2021 5:45 pm
Wulf Moon liked
AliciaCay
(@aliciacay)
Bronze Member
Posted by: @gayatric

Hello Everyone 

My name is Gayatri I am from India. I have been writing since i was in 11th standard when my favorite tv show screwed up the stories and i had to make up my own.

I have submitted my scifi fantasy short story for the first time in September. Inspired by my friend and critique group member Brittany perry rainsdon

Thanks and excited to be here !!

Gayatri

Hi Gayatri, welcome to the Forum! smiley  

How cool is it that you began to make up your own stories when your favorite tv show went awry, LOL. Letting our imaginations take over and make things better again (hopefully, lol). I love this! ♥

Best of luck on your submission!

Warmly,
Alicia Cay

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2021 5:48 pm
AliciaCay
(@aliciacay)
Bronze Member
Posted by: @lizbusby

Hello, all! I'm new to the forum and semi-new to fiction writing. I studied creative non-fiction (aka personal essay, or memoir) in college, but my first love has always been SFF. You may recognize my name from episode 93 of the WotF podcast, which I got on totally randomly when John found my Goodreads review of WotF Volume 36. 😀 So I've been a fan of the contest for a while, but now I think I'm ready to buckle down and start entering.

Outside of writing, I'm a stay-at-home mom of four kids, the youngest of which just started kindergarten, so arguably I should have more time to write now, right? I love knitting, doing yoga, long-distance running, and video games. I live in Utah, but just moved from the Seattle area where we lived for 12 years.

Looking for others who want to exchange stories and accountability on a regular basis, with the goal of entering every quarter.

Hi Liz. Welcome to the Forum! smiley  

Myself, I crochet, but I do love the wizardry that appears to be occurring with those two magic wands, err, I mean, yarn hooks, LOL 😉

Best of luck!

Warmly,
Alicia Cay

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2021 5:54 pm
AliciaCay
(@aliciacay)
Bronze Member

Hello

I've been lurking here for a few days, trying to decide if I should post anything. I found that these forums are filled with information and support, so here's me saying hi!, so that I don't feel creepy, like I'm reading other people's conversations with binoculars from the bushes behind a dumpster.

I submitted for the first time this Q3, and am looking to have another one for Q1

Hi TGio. Welcome to the Forum! 

When I first came to the Forum six years ago, there was a glitch and I couldn't sign up to post anything. So, for at least over a year I was forced to lurk and listen, LOL. So, I understand totally what you mean! And you paint quite the vivid picture of your lurking, haha! You're def a writer 😉

Best of luck to you!

Warmly,
Alicia Cay ♥

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2021 5:59 pm
TGio liked
AliciaCay
(@aliciacay)
Bronze Member

Sorry for all the posts in a row, but look how many awesome new writers have joined us here! Woohoo! clapper  

If I missed anyone, I'm so sorry and a BIG WELCOME to EVERYONE. This is the very place I got started writing six years ago, and found lots of references, from which branched me out into even more references and meeting wonderful fellow writers who inspire and encourage me. There are some incredibly talented and awe-inspiring people on here, and lots of help and answers to questions. Always feel free to pipe up and ask. Sometimes we don't know what we don't know. 😉

Best of luck to everyone entering this quarter and others!

Also, I learned an incredible amount from reading the Writers of the Future anthologies (I own them all). You get a feel for what the judges like and maybe even are looking for, although, don't be afraid to try new things. These volumes are filling more and more with non-traditional and fascinating ways to tell a story. There is NOT just one right way to tell a story. And, I can YELL about how INCREDIBLE Volume 37 is, so for real, if you haven't pre-ordered your copy, head over to Amazon and do so now! (and Vol 36, and maybe even 30-35 those are the most recent and Dave was the judge for them as well) I promise these stories are worth the read. Holy heck!!!!
Love, LoVe, ♥

Warmly,
~A.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2021 6:11 pm
Joel C. Scoberg
(@joel-c-scoberg)
Bronze Member

Welcome everyone to the forum! It's a brilliant place to get feedback, tips and information about anything and everything to do with writing. I've been fairly active this year and I feel I have improved heaps as a result. I can't give it enough praise. The more you put in the more you get out.

And also, if you've not looked at the WotF online workshop-do it. It's fantastic. And free!

Happy writing

Joel

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 6:25 am
Katlynn Padgett
(@kpadgett)

So many new members! this is so awesome. Any one wanting to chat or bounce ideas, they can feel free to message me! 

But this forum has already made me feel like myself again- as one of the other new members have discussed- and all of the warms welcome made me feel absolutely amazing, and capable. 

Also, when it comes to quoting a person, do I have to use the original post or can I snag it from another post that has it quoted. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 9:06 am
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Gold Member

Welcome to the forum Kate. Joel and Wulf have pointed you in the right direction. The workshop will help you more than you'd think possible, and it's free.

Your first submission might be a winner. It doesn't happen very often, but one and done has happened.

HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
HM-V38/Q1

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 10:25 am
Wulf Moon liked
ginutg
(@ginutg)
Posted by: @aliciacay
Posted by: @ginutg

Hi all

My name is Ginu. I had submitted an entry in Quarter running from April to June 2021. I was planning to submit another in the quarter that ended three days ago but I got swamped. I live in Toronto and have found the forum quite interesting. I would love critiques and hope I could provide help where possible.

Hi Ginu, welcome to the Forum! smiley  

Best of luck on your future submission -- I know I'm already working on reading it and can't wait, LOL. 😉

Warmly,
Alicia Cay ♥

Thank you, Alicia. I hope the reading doesn't tax you too much but I fear it will giggle . I just got a massive feedback from Rebecca and am now working on that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 12:35 pm
AliciaCay liked
TGio
 TGio
(@tiinag)

@aliciacay Haha, thanks tongue I am trying to pace myself with all the amazing resources available, but end up reading about writing more than actually writing lol

Going from "ah yes, this confirms what I was kinda doing, how nice" to "OH NO I AM RUBBISH, MY WORDS ARE RUBBISH, BURN EVERYTHING I'VE EVER WRITTEN IN A BONFIRE OF FOOLISH DREAMS AND SCATTER THE ASHES ON MY DYING SOUL, I WILL NEVER BE GOOD ENOUGH"

Balance eh? shrug  

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 13, 2021 9:29 am
AliciaCay
(@aliciacay)
Bronze Member

@aliciacay Haha, thanks tongue I am trying to pace myself with all the amazing resources available, but end up reading about writing more than actually writing lol

Going from "ah yes, this confirms what I was kinda doing, how nice" to "OH NO I AM RUBBISH, MY WORDS ARE RUBBISH, BURN EVERYTHING I'VE EVER WRITTEN IN A BONFIRE OF FOOLISH DREAMS AND SCATTER THE ASHES ON MY DYING SOUL, I WILL NEVER BE GOOD ENOUGH"

Balance eh? shrug  

A bit like this graphic explaining just that, eh?
LOL—you're DEF a writer giggle  

Screenshot 20210812 173335 2

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 13, 2021 7:24 pm
Scott_M_Sands, TGio, storysinger and 2 people liked
TGio
 TGio
(@tiinag)

@aliciacay Yes, that graphic is perfect! Just got to get to that last point 😬 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 14, 2021 5:55 am
AliciaCay liked
Cray Dimensional
(@craydimensional)
Bronze Star Member

@tiinag welcome.

Small steps add up to miles.
V38: R, R, P

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 14, 2021 6:51 pm
TGio liked
Jeri Lerhold
(@jeri_lerhold)

Hello everyone, I'm glad to be here

My name is Jeri, short for Jeremiah. At the moment I am working as an analytical writer for a company that produces software employee monitoring. But in my free time I am fond of writing and creating illustrations and really hope that someday my hobby will become a full-fledged work.

with&Respect, Jeri Lerhold,
Analytical writer, WorkTime

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 15, 2021 6:09 am
Scott_M_Sands
(@scott_m_sands)
Bronze Star Member

@aliciacay 

Cool chart. Strange when you think about the fact it may actually be true of the way we view our work. huh  

"Many people will tell you that you can't write. Let no one say that you don't." -Ken Rand

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 17, 2021 6:17 pm
AliciaCay liked
Scott_M_Sands
(@scott_m_sands)
Bronze Star Member

Welcome, Jeri!

If you've read any of the forum here this may have already been said, but there are many fantastic writers and all-round-good folk here with a passion to encourage writers (like you!) and see them succeed. Be sure to check out Wulf Moon's Super Secrets-they're absolute gold for improving the quality of your writing.

Writing and illustrations! My hat is off to you, sir. Enjoy the forum and happy writing.

Scott

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 17, 2021 6:21 pm
Page 111 / 112
Share: