NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

4,056 Posts
752 Users
1929 Likes
848.7 K Views
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Welcome Cobalt. Your signature shows you have a talent for success. I look forward to watching you interact with our many friendly forumites. 

Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality-D.R.Sweeney
HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : July 11, 2021 6:41 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

Posted by: @cobalt

Hi, all!

I've been submitting on and off to WotF for a couple years now with increasing success. I made Finalist for Q2 this year, which was super exciting. I figured one of the things I've been missing is a good writer's group to help me hone my craft. Ya'll seem like a super-supportive bunch so I thought I'd join you folks, learn from you, and hopefully make Winner some day!

A little background about myself: I've been writing stories since I was a kid, primarily science fiction but some fantasy. I grew up on a steady diet of franchises like Star Trek, Stargate, Halo, Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings. For a few years in middle/high school I made a comedy webcomic based on the video game Half-Life, which I think was formative for me. Since graduating college and entering my professional career I've pursued writing as a hobby more seriously with the ultimate goal of publishing a novel. Ray Bradbury and Arthur C. Clarke are currently my biggest influences.

Looking forward to writing with you!

Welcome aboard, Cobalt! We’re happy you’ve found us!

Congratulations on earning finalist in Q2. I thought I recognized you!

Personally, I don’t think you can get a greater example of entrancing prose than in the works of Ray Bradbury. And he was the master of the speculative short story. Excellent choice for a writing role model!

Do join in the conversations in the various topics. We value everyone here and work hard to help one another succeed, and not just in winning this contest. You will find great support here!

All the best!

Wulf Moon

Forum Moderator 

Click here to JOIN THE WULF PACK!
"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : July 11, 2021 12:41 pm
Joel C. Scoberg
(@joel-c-scoberg)
Silver Star Member

@cobalt Welcome and congratulations on making Finalist in Q2 😀 that's awesome!

R: 2 / HM: 6 / SHM: 2
Published stories:
"Drunk Scentless" - Daily Science Fiction (June 2021)
"Interview with the Vampire Hunter" - Every Day Fiction (October 2021)
"Dutch Courage" - 365tomorrows (August 2022)

Posted : July 14, 2021 3:33 am
Wulf Moon reacted
(@lucas21)

Hello, I am Lucas from Houston, I am a software developer and I like writing plus reading technology-related blogs. It is nice to meet everyone and I cant wait to read everyone's work. 

Posted : July 30, 2021 2:22 am
AliciaCay reacted
AliciaCay
(@aliciacay)
Silver Member

@cobalt 

Hi, Cobalt. Welcome! Smile

Congrats on your Finalist and Semi-Finalist! clapper  

@lucas21

Hi, Lucas. Welcome! Best of luck with your stories.

V32: HM (Q4)
V33: HM, HM, SHM, HM
V34: R, R, HM, HM
V35: HM, HM, R, HM
V36: R, R, SHM, R
V37: SHM, FINALIST, HM, SHM
V38: SF, X, SHM, SHM
V39: SHM, tbd, tbd
https://aliciacay.com

Posted : July 31, 2021 5:09 pm
Scott_M_Sands
(@scott_m_sands)
Gold Member

Welcome, Cobalt!

It was fun reading your list of franchises you grew up on-if you take out Harry and throw in Star Wars, that's basically my list. Smile

Welcome, Lucas!

This is a great forum with heaps of helpful members. Be sure to check out Wulf Moon's Super Secrets on here, if you haven't already.

"If writing is easy, you're doing it wrong." -Bryan Hutchinson
V36-37: R x6
V38: R, HM, R, HM
V39: HM, HM, HM, HM
V40: HM

Posted : July 31, 2021 8:18 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

Posted by: @lucas21

Hello, I am Lucas from Houston, I am a software developer and I like writing plus reading technology-related blogs. It is nice to meet everyone and I cant wait to read everyone's work. 

Welcome aboard, Lucas!

We're glad you found us! Do check out the Writers of the Future Online Workshop. You've got three of the best in the biz to teach you how to craft a professional story. Do post in the quarter you plan to enter--you'll get good support there.

Thanks for introducing yourself.

Cheers!

Wulf Moon
Forum Moderator

"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : July 31, 2021 10:37 pm
Patsy Derrell
(@princessstarfire87)

@wulfmoon 

Hi! I'm Patsy! I'm a screenwriter who loves to write musicals, Movies, Audio Dramas & TV Shows! I'm also a comic book writer who loves to write comic books & graphic novels! I can't wait to meet all of you!

Posted : August 15, 2021 8:32 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

Posted by: @princessstarfire87

@wulfmoon 

Hi! I'm Patsy! I'm a screenwriter who loves to write musicals, Movies, Audio Dramas & TV Shows! I'm also a comic book writer who loves to write comic books & graphic novels! I can't wait to meet all of you!

Welcome, Patsy! 

Wow, that’s a diverse list! We trust you like to write short stories as well, and are sending them in to this contest! If you have a website, please include it in your signature line so we can see your work.

Do post in the quarterly thread you are entering, as most of the support happens there. You’ll find lots of great topics to explore, or you can post your own!

Welcome aboard!

Wulf Moon

Forum moderator

Posted : August 16, 2021 7:46 pm
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Gold Star Member

Posted by: @princessstarfire87

@wulfmoon 

Welcome Patsy! With a background like that, you'll fit in great around here. My hat's off to anyone who can both write and illustrate for comics. Jump on into the forum and dig around!

Death and the Taxman, my WotF V39 winning story is now a novel available for pre-order! (Click Here >). The Taxman is Coming on Tax Day (Apr 15th) 2024!

Subscribe to The Lost Bard's Letter at www.davidhankins.com and receive an exclusive story!

New Releases:
"Milo Piper's Breakout Single that Ended the Rat War" in LTUE's Troubadours and Space Princesses anthology.
"Felix and the Flamingo" in Escape Pod.
"The Ghosts of Hart's Gambit" in Renaissance Press's There's No Place anthology.
"The Devil's Foot Locker" in Amazing Stories

Posted : August 16, 2021 9:53 pm
Jarrodkwilliams
(@jarrodkwilliams)
Bronze Member

Hello all,   I’m Jarrod Williams a speculative fiction writer from the Columbus Ohio Area. I’ve been focused on novel writing but have shifted to focusing on short stories. I’m a fairly new writer just working to learn and level up my craft. This will be the first quarter I enter the Writers of the Future contest. 

V38 Q4: HM
V39 Q1: SHM
V39 Q2: HM
V39 Q3: RWC
V39 Q4: HM
V40 Q1: HM
V40 Q2: HM
V40 Q3: HM
V40 Q4: Submitted

Posted : August 25, 2021 4:12 pm
AliciaCay reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

Posted by: @jarrodkwilliams

Hello all,   I’m Jarrod Williams a speculative fiction writer from the Columbus Ohio Area. I’ve been focused on novel writing but have shifted to focusing on short stories. I’m a fairly new writer just working to learn and level up my craft. This will be the first quarter I enter the Writers of the Future contest. 

Welcome, Jarrod! You took my advice! Glad you're here!

Do post in the quarter you are entering, as most of the support happens there, especially as judging time comes around. Sometimes I'm able to give you a heads up there as well. Look around, soak up the knowledge. There are many here to help you succeed with your writing goals.

And don't miss taking the Writers of the Future Online Workshop! Three judges teaching you how to write a solid story!

Welcome aboard!

Wulf Moon
Forum Moderator

Posted : August 27, 2021 12:29 am
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Gold Star Member

@jarrodkwilliams Welcome to the party! I second Wulf’s comments about the workshop. It will help you tremendously, even if you’re already good at this stuff. Also dig around the threads and find the Super Secrets thread. It’s long, but worth the read. 

Happy you’re here!

Death and the Taxman, my WotF V39 winning story is now a novel available for pre-order! (Click Here >). The Taxman is Coming on Tax Day (Apr 15th) 2024!

Subscribe to The Lost Bard's Letter at www.davidhankins.com and receive an exclusive story!

New Releases:
"Milo Piper's Breakout Single that Ended the Rat War" in LTUE's Troubadours and Space Princesses anthology.
"The Ghosts of Hart's Gambit" in Renaissance Press's There's No Place anthology.

Posted : August 27, 2021 3:45 am
Wulf Moon reacted
MountainSpud
(@jeschleicher)
Silver Star Member

Hello, all!

It's been a while since I last posted, and when I did, it was briefly done, so I thought it best to reintroduce myself.

I write SF, fantasy, and horror, more often than not darker in nature, theme, and tone. My current focus is on the short form, and I have been entering the WOTF contest each quarter for two years now. My first three submissions were rejections, then I graduated to three HMs. My most recent result was a SHM. Here's hoping the upward trend continues.

I speak for many to give many thanks to Wulf Moon for how he's paid it forward. His super secrets have been more than super helpful, truly instrumental! I was an active participant in his second workshop the Wulf Pack, that was until Covid hit, and I had to bow out to homeschool my little dude (He starts first grade today). While not having the time to participate in the workshop, I did keep my oath to write 2 fresh stories each quarter that year. After all, my blood was on the cave wall. Smile

With my son starting school again, five days a week at that, I aim to stop the simply lurking and get active in the forum cuz, well, y'all rock! I'm here to learn. I'm here to cheerlead. I'm here to level up. I've also just recently joined Dave's Apex-Writers group, in which of the long list of benefits, I get to go through his long inventory of web classes. Those alone make the sticker price a steal! Along with family, writing, and reading, another love of mine is riding my mountain bike high (in altitude) and long. I live in Missoula MT, so I get the choicest pick of mountain trails for that particular endorphin fix.

Cheers!
John Eric

V40: Q1 3rd Place Winner
V39: SHM, HM, HM, HM
V38: HM, SHM, HM, HM
V37: R, R, HM, HM
V36: R

Posted : August 31, 2021 4:31 am
AliciaCay and Wulf Moon reacted
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Welcome to the forum Jarrod. Best of fortune to your entry in the contest. smiley  

HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : August 31, 2021 6:26 am
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Congrats on your success with your stories John Eric. clapper  

Here's to continuing your upward path to success. toast  

HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : August 31, 2021 6:28 am
MountainSpud
(@jeschleicher)
Silver Star Member

Many thanks! @storysinger 🍻 

Posted : August 31, 2021 7:25 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

Posted by: @jeschleicher

Hello, all!

It's been a while since I last posted, and when I did, it was briefly done, so I thought it best to reintroduce myself.

I write SF, fantasy, and horror, more often than not darker in nature, theme, and tone. My current focus is on the short form, and I have been entering the WOTF contest each quarter for two years now. My first three submissions were rejections, then I graduated to three HMs. My most recent result was a SHM. Here's hoping the upward trend continues.

I speak for many to give many thanks to Wulf Moon for how he's paid it forward. His super secrets have been more than super helpful, truly instrumental! I was an active participant in his second workshop the Wulf Pack, that was until Covid hit, and I had to bow out to homeschool my little dude (He starts first grade today). While not having the time to participate in the workshop, I did keep my oath to write 2 fresh stories each quarter that year. After all, my blood was on the cave wall. Smile

With my son starting school again, five days a week at that, I aim to stop the simply lurking and get active in the forum cuz, well, y'all rock! I'm here to learn. I'm here to cheerlead. I'm here to level up. I've also just recently joined Dave's Apex-Writers group, in which of the long list of benefits, I get to go through his long inventory of web classes. Those alone make the sticker price a steal! Along with family, writing, and reading, another love of mine is riding my mountain bike high (in altitude) and long. I live in Missoula MT, so I get the choicest pick of mountain trails for that particular endorphin fix.

Cheers!
John Eric

Welcome back to the fold, John!

Great to hear the Super Secrets Workshop here helped you level up, as it has for so many. That’s why I wrote them, and the results speak for themselves. Writers of the Future is focused on helping aspiring writers advance their skills and succeed, and that’s the focus of this forum as well. Good to have you back.

What name did you go under in year two of my workshop? 

You already know the drill, so I will close by congratulating you on living up to the workshop requirement of entering every quarter, even in tough times. An SHM is no small thing. You are narrowing in on that bullseye!

Cheers!

Wulf Moon

Forum Moderator 

Posted : August 31, 2021 12:04 pm
MountainSpud reacted
MountainSpud
(@jeschleicher)
Silver Star Member

It's great to be back & many thanks, @wulfmoon!

Truth is, I've been lurking for a bit & computer chair cheerin' on all the many great results from the forumites!

2 years ago, I went by @jeschleicher, the J & the E stand in for my first and middle name by which I answer to with friends and fam: John Eric (I was born in Georgia. It's a southern thing, so my parents tell me, anyhow). Schleicher is my last name. 

Posted : September 1, 2021 1:47 pm
Wulf Moon reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

@jeschleicher  Glad to have you back and participating, JE! We will continue to cheer you on!

Wulf Moon

Posted : September 1, 2021 5:15 pm
MountainSpud reacted
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Gold Star Member

@jeschleicher Welcome back, John! Missoula is a fantastic place. I spent my formative years there before running off to the better school, MSU Bozeman 😜 (just kidding, UM always destroyed us at football back in the late 90s). Hope the smoky skies over there are starting to clear up.

Glad you’re here and were able to keep up with the challenge from afar!

New Releases:

Posted : September 2, 2021 5:47 am
MountainSpud
(@jeschleicher)
Silver Star Member

Thanks! @lost_bard I do heart Missoula! As for the school rivalry, I don't have a grizzly or a bobcat in the fight. I went to ungrad at CU-Boulder, so guess I'm riding in on a buffalo (in reality an absolutely terrible idea).  Bozeman is also fantastic, the scenery being spectacular, and its hop and a skip away from Big Sky and Yellowstone. Also, I love the Museum of the Rockies. My six year old can't get enough of the dinosaur exhibit (nor can I). 

The smoke has been something awful this fire season. It has cleared up this past week pushed aside by a weather pattern that brought much needed rain, so we've currently got back our big blue skies. It'll be back though and stick around until the first snow snuffs out them fires.  

Where's your current stomping grounds? 

Posted : September 4, 2021 3:48 am
Wulf Moon reacted
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Gold Star Member

@jeschleicher I actually worked at the Museum of the Rockies for a summer in college. Well, in the food truck outside it, but I still got free entry. Great place!

Now I’m mountainless in the great Midwest. Nothing but corn fields as far as the eye can see. 

New Releases:

Posted : September 4, 2021 4:58 am
Scott_M_Sands
(@scott_m_sands)
Gold Member

It seems there have been a few join/rejoin since I last checked this thread, so welcome Patsy, Jarrod and John!! Very encouraging group to be a part of here (you've chosen well).

Between the musicals, desire to level up your craft and mountain biking, I'm sure you guys will have some fantastic contributions to this thread.

"If writing is easy, you're doing it wrong." -Bryan Hutchinson
V36-37: R x6
V38: R, HM, R, HM
V39: HM, HM, HM, HM
V40: HM

Posted : September 4, 2021 5:56 am
(@surhut_the_samwise)

Posted by: @brad-r-torgersen

Hey Mr. Brad, I think we need a real stickied Introductions thread, so everyone has a proper place to introduce themselves.

(*poof*)

winking

Hi! I'm Shriya, and I write fantasy and romances. I'm a student writer from India, and I like to read, sing, and watch movies. 

Posted : September 6, 2021 10:40 pm
storysinger, David Hankins, AliciaCay and 1 people reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

@surhut_the_samwise 

Hi Shriya,

Welcome to the Forum. We’re happy you found us, and I know others around your age are here as well. (But I do recommend not posting your age to chat groups. Good people here, but you never know who else is watching.)

Look around, soak in knowledge, and do post to the quarter you are entering!

Welcome aboard!

Wulf Moon

Forum Moderator

Posted : September 7, 2021 2:15 pm
AliciaCay
(@aliciacay)
Silver Member

@surhut_the_samwise 

Welcome, Shriya! :::waves:::

V32: HM (Q4)
V33: HM, HM, SHM, HM
V34: R, R, HM, HM
V35: HM, HM, R, HM
V36: R, R, SHM, R
V37: SHM, FINALIST, HM, SHM
V38: SF, X, SHM, SHM
V39: SHM, tbd, tbd
https://aliciacay.com

Posted : September 7, 2021 4:21 pm
Wulf Moon reacted
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Gold Star Member

@surhut_the_samwise

Welcome to the forum! Root around and you’ll find some great content and really awesome people to help you on your writing journey. I highly recommend looking at Wulf Moon’s Super Secret thread under the ‘Contest, Quarterly Topics, and Other Items’ thread. The writing hints and tips in there are priceless!

Glad you’re here!

New Releases:

Posted : September 7, 2021 5:47 pm
Wulf Moon reacted
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Welcome to the forum Shriya. The day will come when you read results that make you sing and dance on happy feet. dancingbanana  

Watching the Writers of the Future galas is like watching a movie of successful people. shades  

Best of luck to you with your writing. typing  

HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : September 8, 2021 10:22 am
MountainSpud
(@jeschleicher)
Silver Star Member

@surhut_the_samwise 

Welcome, Shriya! Happy you are here!