Clear all

NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Page 107 / 107

Joel C. Scoberg
(@joel-c-scoberg)
Posted by: @wulfmoon
Posted by: @joel-c-scoberg

Hi everyone

I'm Joel and I'm from Wales (UK). I had been dabbling in writing short stories for a little while but had always made excuses for not committing more time to learn and practice (work being the main one!). But after my daughter was born in Feb last year, I made a decision to commit and try my hardest to get a few stories published and - dare to dream - a novel one day.

I'm still very much learning the craft but found the WotF online workshop incredibly helpful. I received a Silver Honourable Mention in V37: Q4, which boosted my self-confidence no-end after what had felt like an avalanche of rejections from magazines. I'm editing another story now for entry in V38: Q2 and hope to have put what I learned to good effect.

I look forward to being part of the community!

Cheers

Joel

Welcome aboard, Joel!

Glad you took the WotF Online Workshop, glad you got an SHM! That’s a really big deal. Some of those were actually in Dave’s finalist stack down to the very end, and he made it a Silver not because it was less than a Semifinalist, but because he hopes the writer will submit it again. FYI.

Thanks for introducing yourself and welcome to the family!

Wulf Moon

Forum Moderator

Thanks, Moon! And hello!

I didn't realise a SHM (could) suggest that Dave wants to see it again - just a bigger, faster, stronger, gold plated version 2. That's really good to know and really encouraging. I submitted it before completing the online workshop, so I'll give it an edit pass (or dozen!) and submit it again. I currently have a story lined up this quarter, so I will aim to have it (space)ship-shape next quarter.

Best wishes, and happy writing

Joel

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 30, 2021 1:24 am
CeciBlack, Wulf Moon, crlisle and 1 people liked
Kipp Speicher
(@kippspeicher)

Hi, I'm Kipp from Ohio. I have decided to give the contest a checking out. I'm an Indie filmmaker and have written a few short stories. I have known of the contest for years, being a big fan of  L. Ron Hubbard and his pulps. 

Besides working full time in a print shop, I also run a used bookstore specializing in Science Fiction, Horror, and Crime books. I also have a large section of pulps and Science Fiction Digest from the 1950s.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 1, 2021 8:10 pm
AlexH, CeciBlack, DoctorJest and 2 people liked
Wulf Moon
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Member Moderator
Posted by: @kippspeicher

Hi, I'm Kipp from Ohio. I have decided to give the contest a checking out. I'm an Indie filmmaker and have written a few short stories. I have known of the contest for years, being a big fan of  L. Ron Hubbard and his pulps. 

Besides working full time in a print shop, I also run a used bookstore specializing in Science Fiction, Horror, and Crime books. I also have a large section of pulps and Science Fiction Digest from the 1950s.

Welcome aboard, Kipp!

Did they ever call you the Kippster? Seems like it would be a cool nickname. Very cool about your Indie films, which means you likely have written screenplays. SAVE THE CAT is a marvelous book for that. Glad you've known about the Contest, and how cool to run a bookstore in some of our favorite genres! Since you love the pulps, we'll be looking for a retro SF winner from you! Never enough of that, and it always feels like going home when you find it.

Do post to the quarter you are entering. Do tap into that Writers of the Future Online Workshop. And do make friends here by posting to the various topics. Lots of great people here that can help you on your writer journey!

Cheers!

Wulf Moon
Forum Moderator

JOIN THE WULF PACK! http://the super secrets.com
"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" wins WRITERS OF THE FUTURE VOL. 35 & BEST SF&F STORY OF 2019. Order WotF Volume 35 HERE!
“Muzik Man" wins BEST SF&F STORY of 2020
NEW! Don't miss "Shaken, Not Stirred" & "Behind the Scenes" & "Nail Your Opening" in DreamForge Anvil Magazine!
JUST RELEASED! BEST OF DEEP MAGIC ANTHOLOGY TWO! Three Super Secrets Workshop members made it into this best of the best anthology! KD Julicher, Brittany Rainsdon, and some guy named Wulf Moon.Click HERE to get yours!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 2, 2021 11:34 am
DoctorJest
(@doctorjest)
Silver Member
Posted by: @wulfmoon

Hi everyone

I'm Joel and I'm from Wales (UK). I had been dabbling in writing short stories for a little while but had always made excuses for not committing more time to learn and practice (work being the main one!). But after my daughter was born in Feb last year, I made a decision to commit and try my hardest to get a few stories published and - dare to dream - a novel one day.

I'm still very much learning the craft but found the WotF online workshop incredibly helpful. I received a Silver Honourable Mention in V37: Q4, which boosted my self-confidence no-end after what had felt like an avalanche of rejections from magazines. I'm editing another story now for entry in V38: Q2 and hope to have put what I learned to good effect.

I look forward to being part of the community!

Cheers

Joel

Welcome aboard, Joel!

Glad you took the WotF Online Workshop, glad you got an SHM! That’s a really big deal. Some of those were actually in Dave’s finalist stack down to the very end, and he made it a Silver not because it was less than a Semifinalist, but because he hopes the writer will submit it again. FYI.

Thanks for introducing yourself and welcome to the family!

Wulf Moon

Forum Moderator

Thanks, Moon! And hello!

I didn't realise a SHM (could) suggest that Dave wants to see it again - just a bigger, faster, stronger, gold plated version 2. That's really good to know and really encouraging. I submitted it before completing the online workshop, so I'll give it an edit pass (or dozen!) and submit it again. I currently have a story lined up this quarter, so I will aim to have it (space)ship-shape next quarter.

Best wishes, and happy writing

Joel

Welcome from me also, Joel! I spent parts of my summers in Wales when I was growing up, my grandparents lived over there. I have fond memories of the most wonderful castles I've ever seen, and weather that went from glorious summer to torrential rain at insane speed...

Fingers crossed for you to nail this quarter's entry! I've only just started looking at the workshop, but I'm really enjoying it so far.

R: 0 / HM: 8 / SHM: 3 / SF: 0 / F: 1
Currently in for Q2.V38 / Q3.V38 in final revisions / Q4.V38 in flux (3 possibles, all complete)
Revised SHM ('Ashwright') at PodCastle
Revised HM ('The Winds of the Mind') forthcoming at Abyss and Apex, ~October 2023

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 5, 2021 10:36 pm
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Gold Member

Welcome to the forum Joel. Everyone here has your back as you grow your talent for winning.

Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality-D.R.Sweeney
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
HM-V38/Q1

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 6, 2021 10:57 am
Mike Jack Stoumbos
(@mikejackstoumbos)

Hello all! I am Mike Jack Stoumbos, and I'm a mix of anxious and excited to be here.

Last week, I was named the Quarter 1 Winner for Volume 38. The unsteady deluge of happiness, imposter-syndrome, hope, self-doubt, bolstered confidence, and "not now, I have to get back to work" has been enough for the audience to quit on the grounds of inconsistent protagonist. But, despite all of that, here I am, and joyfully learning about the WotF community as I go.

Shoutouts to Wulf Moon, Joni Labaqui, and Dave Farland in particular for the initial communication and help navigating the various details of WotF--thank you, and glad to be a part of the community.

v37q3 - SF
v37q4 - HM
v38q1 - #1
https://www.mikejackstoumbos.com/
Upcoming story in Street Magic from Camden Park
~may your travels be memorable and your adventures unbelievable~

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 11, 2021 9:11 am
CeciBlack
(@ceciblack)

@mikejackstoumbos Congratulations and welcome! Can’t wait to read your work. clapper  

Ceci Black
Writer, Musician
Free Album: Captains of Industry (vocals, lyrics, keys & occasional bass)
Composer: Will & Whit The Musical based on Laura Lee Gulledge’s young adult graphic novel, Will & Whit.
v38: HM (Q1)

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 11, 2021 1:14 pm
Wulf Moon
(@wulfmoon)
Posted by: @mikejackstoumbos

Hello all! I am Mike Jack Stoumbos, and I'm a mix of anxious and excited to be here.

Last week, I was named the Quarter 1 Winner for Volume 38. The unsteady deluge of happiness, imposter-syndrome, hope, self-doubt, bolstered confidence, and "not now, I have to get back to work" has been enough for the audience to quit on the grounds of inconsistent protagonist. But, despite all of that, here I am, and joyfully learning about the WotF community as I go.

Shoutouts to Wulf Moon, Joni Labaqui, and Dave Farland in particular for the initial communication and help navigating the various details of WotF--thank you, and glad to be a part of the community.

Welcome aboard, Mike! Thanks for accepting my invite to join us!

First off, CONGRATULATIONS on your win in WotF Vol. 38! That's a wonderful accomplishment, something everyone in this Forum is working hard to achieve, and we're happy when we see it happen for a writer. We know the Contest has launched so many SFF careers, and we look forward to seeing what you do with the boost WotF will give you. You're going to love the workshop and gala. It's amazing being taught by the masters, and to have so many legends in the field come to the awards' ceremony to cheer you on. You won't get much sleep, but as they say, sleep is for mortals. It's a wonderful experience that will change your life, casting away those imposter feelings with all the validation the Contest heaps on you. It's designed to make you BELIEVE, and when you do, belief becomes reality.

We hope you'll stick around and share your thoughts and goals . . . and maybe even make a few new friends in the process. Welcome to the Forum!

Wulf Moon
Forum Moderator

"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" wins WRITERS OF THE FUTURE VOL. 35 & BEST SF&F STORY OF 2019. Order WotF Volume 35 HERE!
NEW! Don't miss "Shaken, Not Stirred" & "Behind the Scenes" & "Nail Your Opening" in DreamForge Anvil Magazine!
JUST RELEASED! BEST OF DEEP MAGIC ANTHOLOGY TWO! Three Super Secrets Workshop members made it into this best of the best anthology! KD Julicher, Brittany Rainsdon, and some guy named Wulf Moon.Click HERE to get yours!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 11, 2021 6:54 pm
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Gold Member

Congratulations on your win Mike. clapper Welcome to the community. 

HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
HM-V38/Q1

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 12, 2021 5:55 am
Wulf Moon liked
Joel C. Scoberg
(@joel-c-scoberg)

@doctorjest Thanks for the welcome and for the best wishes for my entry this quarter!

We do have some fab castles here in Wales - and the most per capita in the world I believe. Plenty of inspiration for a budding fantasy writer and about the only per capita stat I take interest in laughing  

I found the workshop really helpful, I hope you do too. And good luck with this quarter's entry too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 13, 2021 8:00 am
Devid Muller
(@mdevid)

Hello @joel-c-scoberg first of all, congratulations on being a father, I love to read novels mainly fictional, I also want to write my own novel do you have any suggestions that how should I start!?

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 6, 2021 10:13 pm
monjoh
(@monjoh)

Hi, all.

A fellow writers' club member mentioned the WotF online workshop, which I immediately signed up for (but took a couple months to get back to). It was only after the workshop that I heard about the contest. I've been working since December on a short story to enter even though I prefer to write (and read) novels because the level of respect this contest seems to generate is inspiring.

I am in Saskatchewan, Land of Living Skies, and only returned to writing in 2014 from my high school dreams. High school was awhile ago. Not saying more.

I hope to publish in the next few years. I will count any kind of success in this contest as a huge boost toward that goal. I also look forward to finding critique partners here in the near future.

Congratulations to those who have already earned mentions or placed well. Good luck to those working toward that kind of recognition.

Best wishes,

Monica

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 7, 2021 9:23 pm
David Hankins
(@lost_bard)
Advanced Member
Posted by: @mdevid

Hello @joel-c-scoberg first of all, congratulations on being a father, I love to read novels mainly fictional, I also want to write my own novel do you have any suggestions that how should I start!?

I recommend starting with the Writers of the Future online workshop. It's completely free and self-paced and you get a ton of fantastic tips and guidelines on the basics of how to write a story. See the link below for the workshop.

https://www.writersofthefuture.com/register/online-workshop/  

Along with that, I'd recommend looking through the Forum here. There's a lot of good information in the different threads with everything from tips for writing to publication.

The most important tip on becoming a writer is to actually sit down and write. Don't feel like you're at the point of penning a full novel yet? That's okay, everyone has to start somewhere. A lot of the folks here in the forum work on submitting short stories to the WotF contest each quarter. Of course, everyone wants to win the contest, but through the daily/weekly/monthly practice of writing short stories for the contest, we improve our skills, learn the craft of storytelling, and many WotF alumni have gone on to have fantastic writing careers as novelists.

Best of luck and Write On!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 7, 2021 9:41 pm
Joel C. Scoberg
(@joel-c-scoberg)

@mdevid Thank you, David, and welcome to the forum!

I second @lost_bard suggestion of the WotF online workshop. I recently completed it and feel like I learned so many helpful tips and techniques, not to mention insights into the writing craft. I can't actually believe it's free! Who said nothing in life comes for free, eh Smile ?

I used to think about what I'd like to write and never got round to actually writing what I had thought about, too many ideas, excuses, lack of confidence etc. Sitting down and writing - even though it was hard to get down my vision at first - has improved my skill set, then on top seeking and providing feedback on other writers' work has helped enormously too. Check out the story critique exchange board on the forum, I've found that really helpful. There are a lot of people willing to help out and that will get you further down the road to being a writer and starting that novel.

Happy writing typing  

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2021 2:01 am
Erik
 Erik
(@fenrik)

Hi I suppose,

I live in the eastern part of the Netherlands. Writing is something I’ve enjoyed since I was very young, and I’ve always said I wanted to be an author. In my opinion, I’m not that competent of a writer yet, but I feel like participating in WOTF and attempting to turn in as best of a short story I’m able to write every quarter will certainly help me practice. I was actually very excited when I found this website a few years ago as a teenager, but I certainly didn’t feel very confident in my skills, and ultimately  refrained from participating in something that seemed like so much fun to me. Often I found myself just sort of longingly staring at the writers contest rules every once in a while for a couple of years. Now, I still don’t feel like I would be good enough to win, but I don’t really want that thought to hold me back from participating and ultimately learning anymore. My top favorite genres to read and write are both science fiction and fantasy, so I’m looking forward to attempting to create short stories in those genres. I’ve never really created a short story before, so I’ll certainly be looking up tips and writing exercises for those on this forum.

smiley   waveshello

“Happiness consists in getting enough sleep. Just that, nothing more.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2021 3:50 pm
Wulf Moon
(@wulfmoon)
Posted by: @monjoh

Hi, all.

A fellow writers' club member mentioned the WotF online workshop, which I immediately signed up for (but took a couple months to get back to). It was only after the workshop that I heard about the contest. I've been working since December on a short story to enter even though I prefer to write (and read) novels because the level of respect this contest seems to generate is inspiring.

I am in Saskatchewan, Land of Living Skies, and only returned to writing in 2014 from my high school dreams. High school was awhile ago. Not saying more.

I hope to publish in the next few years. I will count any kind of success in this contest as a huge boost toward that goal. I also look forward to finding critique partners here in the near future.

Congratulations to those who have already earned mentions or placed well. Good luck to those working toward that kind of recognition.

Best wishes,

Monica

Welcome aboard, Monica!

The contest has helped hundreds of writers launch professional careers, and it can help you, too. Enter every quarter, write fresh stories, and study all the helpful posts that can give you an edge. Do post in each quarterly topic for the one you’re entering—lots of support there. 

Have fun sharing here, and we wish you much success!

Wulf Moon

Forum Moderator

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2021 11:06 pm
Wulf Moon
(@wulfmoon)

@fenrik

Welcome, Erik!

We all begin somewhere, and you couldn’t have found a better place to start! Study the basic format, write your story, send it in, start your next. Your skills will build with each story you write, and the certificates the contest gives out will tell you when you’re getting close to the mark.

Do take the WotF Workshop. My Super Secrets can help you as well. Enjoy the journey!

Wulf Moon

Forum Moderator

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2021 11:14 pm
DoctorJest
(@doctorjest)
Silver Member
Posted by: @monjoh

Welcome, Monica! I certainly hear this--and I'm glad you returned to it! I have a friend I dearly hope to coax back to it myself--he was a better writer than I was, and I was inspired by him to invest myself in honing my craft. I've since grown a lot, and unfortunately due to personal struggles, he's mostly given up on it--which is a shame, I still very much enjoy the style of his work, and I know that he loved doing it. It's sad to see people fall by the wayside, and always a joy to see people returning to the road again.

Posted by: @fenrik

In my opinion, I’m not that competent of a writer yet, but I feel like participating in WOTF and attempting to turn in as best of a short story I’m able to write every quarter will certainly help me practice. I was actually very excited when I found this website a few years ago as a teenager, but I certainly didn’t feel very confident in my skills, and ultimately  refrained from participating in something that seemed like so much fun to me. Often I found myself just sort of longingly staring at the writers contest rules every once in a while for a couple of years. Now, I still don’t feel like I would be good enough to win, but I don’t really want that thought to hold me back from participating and ultimately learning anymore. My top favorite genres to read and write are both science fiction and fantasy, so I’m looking forward to attempting to create short stories in those genres. I’ve never really created a short story before, so I’ll certainly be looking up tips and writing exercises for those on this forum.

And welcome, Erik! I think you're right that you'll get a lot from this. One lesson that you're learning here, and it's a good one for all things, is to never self-reject. Write what you can, submit, and see where it gets you--share it with other writers, and see what they can teach you (and be willing to have a thick skin for the criticism, as all critiques are from people who believe you can be better, and are helping to show you how). This forum is particularly excellent for that, as while we're all striving to win the same competition, we're also all hoping that our fellow forumites will win it too, and we can all bask together in the shared glory.

And while you say that you don't feel you'd be good enough to win, well, every quarter, most of us don't win! But we're all here learning, trying to get better, and to get a little closer to that contest victory. We all get better with every story we write. Some writers arrive at the contest fully-formed, with years of writing behind them, and strike gold with their first or second story--others are growing, start out with rejections, and grow and improve until they end up winning. In the end, they're just different paths that complete the same journey. 

I'm very glad to see you join our number!

R: 0 / HM: 8 / SHM: 3 / SF: 0 / F: 1
Currently in for Q2.V38 / Q3.V38 in final revisions / Q4.V38 in flux (3 possibles, all complete)
Revised SHM ('Ashwright') at PodCastle
Revised HM ('The Winds of the Mind') forthcoming at Abyss and Apex, ~October 2023

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2021 11:21 pm
Connie Colin, storysinger, Wulf Moon and 4 people liked
Scott_M_Sands
(@scott_m_sands)
Bronze Member

@doctorjest

Loved the way you summarized that last part. Absolutely, we're all heading for a goal of 'successful writer' (whatever that may look like for each person). I love that reading through the forums, writing, practicing, entering, writing a bit more... they're all steps towards publication and good art.

I enjoy the way people in the contest encourage you in the business side of writing, too. It's one thing to write well, but you need to submit/meet deadlines regularly, write marketable stories, connect with others.

There is so much here. It's great.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2021 11:34 pm
storysinger, Wulf Moon, David Hankins and 2 people liked
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Gold Member

A hearty welcome to all the new additions to the forum. No better place to be for advancing your skill set.

HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
HM-V38/Q1

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 9, 2021 9:47 am
Wulf Moon liked
Connie Colin
(@connie-colin)

Thank you @wulfmoon!

As you can see by my delayed reply, my day job is keeping me busy, but I will keep coming back. It is not only a dream but a very determined goal of mine to write and publish, no matter how long it takes, although I would prefer sooner obviously!

You are doing a great job here and I am very grateful.

Hope you have a wonderful day!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 10, 2021 9:29 am
Wulf Moon liked
Connie Colin
(@connie-colin)

@doctorjest "never self-reject" I am taking that for myself, thank you! Such an important sentiment, and exactly what I needed to hear today.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 10, 2021 9:32 am
Joel C. Scoberg
(@joel-c-scoberg)

Welcome to the forum @connie-colin @monjoh @fenrik !

hey!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 10, 2021 12:57 pm
Wulf Moon and Erik liked
Page 107 / 107
Share: