Clear all

NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

4,056 Posts
752 Users
1929 Likes
848.7 K Views
(@reuben)
Silver Member

Welcome, Ray! I've definitely learned a lot here, just through osmosis, and it's fun, too. Do try to submit every quarter; it's good for your consistency. And good luck!

Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm ~ Winston Churchill
V37: R, R, R, HM
V38: SHM

Posted : March 31, 2021 9:52 am
iti reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

Posted by: @ray-lawler

Hi! I haven't submitted anything to WotF yet, but I've known about it for a while now and decided it was time to buckle down and write some stories. I heard this was the place to come, so here I am! I'm excited to get to know some of you and learn from the people with experience.

Welcome aboard, Ray!

You have indeed come to the right place to find encouragement to keep writing. You'll also find great info on the Contests, and solid advice from winners as well. Enjoy the many topics, and do post in the quarter you are entering, where you'll find much support!

And since someone just told me how welcoming them with this line changed their future, I cast my magic incantation over you: BELIEF DETERMINES REALITY.

All the best,

Wulf Moon

Forum Moderator

Click here to JOIN THE WULF PACK!
"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : April 1, 2021 4:59 pm
iti reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

Just FYI to all. We have now moved this thread to where it rightfully belonged. Carry on. Laughing Out Loud  

"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : April 1, 2021 5:07 pm
Cray Dimensional
(@craydimensional)
Gold Star Member

Hi I'm Cray Dimensional. I have just begun my journey into Writers of the Future with both a Q1 v38 (before any workshops) and Q2 v38 (after the WoTF workshop).

Writing has been my escape for few years, but now I am trying to improve it and maybe win an HM along the way. I would really love to try the Super Secret Workshop but I noticed the links in the TOC were linked to old forum.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting other writers, so feel free to say hi.

Small steps add up to miles.
V38: R, R, HM, HM
V39: RWC, HM, HM, SHM
V40 : HM, RWC, R, HM
V41 : RWC, WIP
"Amore For Life" in After the Gold Rush Third Flatiron Anthology
"Freedom’s Song” in Troubadour and Space Princesses LTUE Anthology

Posted : April 1, 2021 6:56 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

Welcome aboard, Cray Dimensional!

You’ve come to the right place to begin your writer’s journey! Glad to hear you’ve entered the Contest. We’re all waiting for Q1 results right now.

There’s an abundance of topics to help you with your goals. As to my Super Secrets Workshop topic, the posts are all there—the transition just knocked out the hyperlinks in the TOC to each Secret. Our IT guy Jason has told me he’s working on them, which is very kind, it’s a big job! I’m told 1-16 are now linked to that opening page. I hope they help you like they have for so many!

Do post on the quarterly topic you have entered, you’ll find lots of support there. 

Have fun!

Wulf Moon 

Forum Moderator

Posted : April 2, 2021 12:09 am
HabaneroPepper
(@habaneropepper)
Advanced Member

Hello, I'm BlankCanvas, a newbie who found this contest in 2019. My first entry tanked, my second got an honorable mention, and I'm currently waiting on my third that I entered in the fourth quarter of 2020 (here's to hoping- I'd like some of that for scholarship money). I joined this forum in March of this year. Right now I'm just writing for myself- if none of you are too busy, I hope I can occasionally receive some constructive criticism and give some in return- I'm a pretty voracious speed-demon of a reader. I hope to get along with everyone!

Posted : April 2, 2021 6:10 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

Posted by: @habaneropepper

Hello, I'm BlankCanvas, a newbie who found this contest in 2019. My first entry tanked, my second got an honorable mention, and I'm currently waiting on my third that I entered in the fourth quarter of 2020 (here's to hoping- I'd like some of that for scholarship money). I joined this forum in March of this year. Right now I'm just writing for myself- if none of you are too busy, I hope I can occasionally receive some constructive criticism and give some in return- I'm a pretty voracious speed-demon of a reader. I hope to get along with everyone!

Welcome back, BlankCanvas!

Nice you got an HM on your second try. I'm thinking you're waiting on your third in Q1 of Volume 38, as Q4 Vol. 37 has already been announced. Sorry if I'm the bearer of bad news, but the good news is you are back with us. As for critique swaps, just go to that folder, post genre and how many words and that you'll be happy to reciprocate. Someone is always ready to help. 

As for getting along, that's easy. We love good people that are here to help one another!

Welcome aboard!

Wulf Moon

Forum Moderator

Posted : April 3, 2021 1:26 am
iti reacted
iti
 iti
(@iti)

Hi All,

Wow, page 207... Lots of new people.

I'm probably not the shyest newbie you got, but I probably come pretty close. And Wulf, I'm here now only because of all you said in podcast no.105. Thanks for being... you. 

I'll do my best to become an active supporter of the community, too.

Posted : April 3, 2021 2:39 am
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Welcome iti, I hope I got that right. Explore the many threads and grow with the flow.

Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality-D.R.Sweeney
HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : April 3, 2021 2:07 pm
iti reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

Posted by: @iti

Hi All,

I'm probably not the shyest newbie you got, but I probably come pretty close. And Wulf, I'm here now only because of all you said in podcast no.105. Thanks for being... you. 

Welcome aboard, iti!

So happy you found us! And through the WotF podcast, no less! That makes me very happy. John Goodwin, the ASI/WotF President, conducts such great interviews. When he invites me on, I always try to bring out something that might help aspiring writers in their journey. In that podcast, I had the opportunity to share many things. I am glad they encouraged you--that's my objective.

And now you're here! As you know from the podcast, the best thing to start with is the Writers of the Future Online Workshop. You'll get the same instructors I had at the Hollywood workshop for Volume 35! These are NYT bestselling authors and contest judges, and they know their stuff! Take good notes, it will really help. And give Hubbard's article "The Manuscript Factory" a hard look. He knew what he was talking about, and it's hard for aspiring writers to realize a story is a product. Many never get past the "It's my baybeeee!" level, and that's one of the first traits one has to abandon to become a professional writer. Sometimes, our unruly kids need tough love. Smile /p>

I've also written the Super Secrets Workshop thread in here to help you with fine tuning, and the ins and outs peculiar to this contest. It's good info to be aware of, as it can help you to adjust your aim on that bullseye. 

Finally, do post in the quarter you plan to submit to, as most of the support happens there. You'll find many there to cheer you on to victory! And if you'd like some help with a story, there's a critique swap folder. Just state genre and how many words, offer to exchange critiques, and ask for someone to PM you. There's some experienced writers in this group that can really help with good advice.

So come on in, don't be shy! The water is fine.

All the best!

Wulf Moon

Forum Moderator

Posted : April 3, 2021 3:54 pm
iti reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

Posted by: @iti

Hi All,

Welcome aboard, iti!

So happy you found us, iti! And through the WotF podcast, no less! That makes me very happy. John Goodwin, the ASI/WotF President, conducts such great interviews. When he invites me on, I always try to bring out something that might help aspiring writers in their journey. In that podcast, I had the opportunity to share many things. I am glad they encouraged you--that's my objective.

And now you're here! As you know from the podcast, the best thing to start with is the Writers of the Future Online Workshop. You'll get the same instructors I had at the Hollywood workshop for Volume 35! These are NYT bestselling authors and contest judges, and they know their stuff! Take good notes, it will really help. And give Hubbard's article "The Manuscript Factory" a hard look. He knew what he was talking about, and it's hard for aspiring writers to realize a story is a product. Many never get past the "It's my baybeeee!" level, and that's one of the first traits one has to abandon to become a professional writer. Sometimes, our unruly kids need tough love. 

I've also written the Super Secrets Workshop thread in here to help you with fine tuning, and the ins and outs peculiar to this contest. It's good info to be aware of, as it can help you to adjust your aim on that bullseye. 

Finally, do post in the quarter you plan to submit to, as most of the support happens there. You'll find many there to cheer you on to victory! And if you'd like some help with a story, there's a Story Exchange/critique swap folder. Just state genre and how many words, offer to exchange critiques, and ask for someone to PM you. There's some experienced writers in this group that can really help with good advice.

So come on in, don't be shy! The water is fine.

All the best!

Wulf Moon

Forum Moderator

P.S.: I hadn't thought I'd said anything special in that podcast, but after you mentioned how it motivated you, I went back and listened. Yep, that's a good one. It covers all the benefits the WotF suite of programs has to offer. And it has some important advice about finding like-minded people to help you on your journey. May the Forum prove to be that for you! If anyone missed it, here it is! Writers of the Future Podcast: Wulf Moon

Posted : April 3, 2021 3:56 pm
iti reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

Okay, new members! I know you're in here. You can run, but you can't hide. Reveal yourselves! Cool  

Posted : April 9, 2021 2:10 pm
Kellabella
(@kellabella)

Hello all!

My name is Kelley and I started submitting to the contest two years ago. I always gravitated toward writing, even as a very young child. I was told by all my teachers to be a writer and then I focused on the rat race and stopped for most of my twenties. 

Now I'm writing every day and working out how to use the tools at my disposal. (Some of the best are on this forum!) I figure if I can sell a short story, if I can win Writers of the Future, I can maybe write a novel worth publishing. It's a tough road full of challenges, but oh-so-fun!

I have one Honorable Mention under my belt. Looking to beat it this quarter! 

waiting

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
-Neil Gaiman-

SHM- 1

HM- 3
R- 2

Posted : April 9, 2021 7:47 pm
(@reuben)
Silver Member

Welcome Kelly, and welcome to the wait party as well! Hanging around here and getting critiques from its members was the biggest catalyst for my writing improvement. Happy to have you!

Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm ~ Winston Churchill

Posted : April 10, 2021 9:46 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

Posted by: @kellabella

Hello all!

My name is Kelley and I started submitting to the contest two years ago. I always gravitated toward writing, even as a very young child. I was told by all my teachers to be a writer and then I focused on the rat race and stopped for most of my twenties. 

Now I'm writing every day and working out how to use the tools at my disposal. (Some of the best are on this forum!) I figure if I can sell a short story, if I can win Writers of the Future, I can maybe write a novel worth publishing. It's a tough road full of challenges, but oh-so-fun!

waiting

Welcome aboard, Kelley!

We’re happy to hear you found your way back to writing. I always say writing finds a way. Smile  

Great that you earned an HM—we make it look easy in here, but it’s harder than it looks! I recommend entering every quarter, and instead of worrying on your current submission, always focus on your next. Those that view this as a marathon rather than a sprint find they have the power to stay the course.

You are absolutely correct that some of the best writing and Contest advice anywhere is in these pages! That’s why this writing group averages two Contest winners a year!

May you be rewarded beyond your wildest dreams for you efforts!

Wulf Moon

Forum Moderator

Posted : April 11, 2021 7:58 am
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Posted by: @kellabella

Hello all!

waiting

Welcome to the forum Kelley. Congratulations on the HM. Hard work and dedication will lift you from the trenches.

Follow your heart.

HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : April 11, 2021 7:58 am
CeciBlack
(@ceciblack)
Bronze Star Member

Hi All, I’m pretty new here. I submitted a SS for V.38, Q1 ( my first submission to a contest and my first attempt at a short story). Just glad to be here among such a wonderful tribe.

Query: I’ve figured out what HM and SHM are, but what are R and P? 

Fighting the newbie confusion here...

Ceci Black
Writer, Musician
Free Album: Captains of Industry (vocals, lyrics, keys & occasional bass)
Composer: Will & Whit The Musical based on Laura Lee Gulledge’s young adult graphic novel, Will & Whit.
v38: HM,--,R,HM
v39: HM,SHM,SHM,F

Posted : April 12, 2021 1:26 pm
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

First, welcome to the forum CeciBlack. R is probably indicating a rejection for a submission. 

P is for persistent submitter.

Bwaa-haa. I couldn't resist that one. Truth is I'm not sure what a P would be.

I hope your story does well.

HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : April 12, 2021 1:39 pm
CeciBlack reacted
(@reuben)
Silver Member

@ceciblack

Welcome to the tribe, Ceci! You'll learn a lot here. The letter P stands for pending, at least that's what I use it for. For all we know, we all use these letters to mean wildly different things. Smile

Posted : April 12, 2021 3:45 pm
CeciBlack reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

@ceciblack

Welcome aboard, Cecil! We’re happy to have you with us!

P stands for Pending. PF stands for published finalist. R, alas, stands for rejected or returned.

Enjoy all the information here to help you succeed. And all the people ready to help!

Best of success!

Wulf Moon

Forum Moderator

Posted : April 12, 2021 10:20 pm
CeciBlack reacted
(@dnorthmartino)

Hi everyone! 

I’m a semi-pro writer looking to go pro. I’ve received three HMs since I began submitting in 2019. I completed the WotF workshop and attended the David Farland Q&A Zoom call over the weekend. Also, I’m working through the Super Secret thread and gaining great insight. I look forward to interacting with all of you on the forum!

Best, 

Dave

David North-Martino

HM-v40, Q3
HM-v40, Q2
HM-v39, Q2
Semi-Finalist-v38, Q3
HM-V37 Q3
HM-v37, Q1
HM-v36, Q3

Posted : April 13, 2021 6:54 pm
Wulf Moon reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

@dnorthmartino

Greetings, David! Glad you made it here! You’ll find plenty of insight here to help you level up! Nice work! 

Thanks for taking my advice to join. This Forum has made all the difference for many!

Welcome aboard!

Wulf Moon

Forum Moderator

Posted : April 13, 2021 11:44 pm
(@yorgolee)
Advanced Member

Hello everyone,

My name's Yorgo and I'm a 39yr old beginner from Indiana. I entered the Quarter 1 contest with a story I finally finished after 10 yrs of intermittent work. Getting that story entirely told kind of made me feel powerful and I've since finished three more short stories in a much more reasonable time frame.

I am looking forward to seeing what I might contribute to the community here, though I must admit I am historically bad at interacting on the Internet. It's only marginally less intimidating than addressing the empty page. No, you know what, it's more intimidating...it's writer's anxiety plus social anxiety. But like I said, after finishing that decade long effort to tell a 14,000 word story I feel like I might be able to tackle other challenges.

Posted : April 14, 2021 7:03 am
Reuben and Dustin Adams reacted
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Welcome to the forum Yorgo. 14,000 is a long short story. Best of luck with your future win.

Your signature speaks for me as well.

HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : April 14, 2021 10:25 am
yorgolee reacted
(@yorgolee)
Advanced Member

@storysinger thanks for the welcome. You're right about its length. Most outlets don't want anything that long under the short story rubric, but it falls just shy of being a novella. I was psyched to find it fit within the criteria for Writers of the Future!

Posted : April 14, 2021 10:49 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

@yorgolee Welcome aboard! Glad to add you to the family! You’ve done something 90% that talk about writing never do—you’ve completed a story! Well done! Happy to see you’ve since completed more. It gets easier as you develop those writing muscles.

DO take the WotF Online Writing Course—it will help you advance!

Check out my KYD exercises in the Super Secrets thread—they’ve helped many. Take advantage of the Monday writing prompts. And don’t miss the chance to swap critiques in the Crit topic. We’re here to help!

Cheers!

Wulf Moon

Forum Moderator

Posted : April 14, 2021 10:58 am
Scott_M_Sands
(@scott_m_sands)
Gold Member

Hi all,

I'm not exactly a new forum user as such- been hanging around (and got a few critiques) for a a year or so. I couldn't remember if I'd actually posted in this thread or not. Figured I would anyway. That be the greatness of this forum!

Really excited about my Q2 story for this year. Like most, just waiting to see how it does.  Smile

Also, I can't PM anyone yet (I know others have had the same issue). Do I need to do anything to activate that? Or are we just waiting?

Thanks all!

Scott

"If writing is easy, you're doing it wrong." -Bryan Hutchinson
V36-37: R x6
V38: R, HM, R, HM
V39: HM, HM, HM, HM
V40: HM

Posted : April 15, 2021 9:26 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator

@scott_m_sands

Welcome aboard, Scott!

You’ve been here awhile, but thank you for introducing yourself! Since you know the place, I’ll simply say we’re glad to have you here.

As for PMs, I’ve been sending them. You go to Profile and click on messages. It’s different than the old system, but it should work. @Jason Toth is here to troubleshoot if you’re still having problems.

Best of success on your writing!

Wulf Moon

Forum Moderator

Posted : April 16, 2021 2:03 am
HabaneroPepper
(@habaneropepper)
Advanced Member

@wulfmoon Thanks for the warm welcome!

Posted : April 16, 2021 3:52 am
Wulf Moon reacted
(@yorgolee)
Advanced Member

@wulfmoon thanks for the encouragement and the guideposts. I've taken the first of your advice and started the course. Excited to move forward!

Posted : April 16, 2021 6:06 am
Wulf Moon reacted
Page 104 / 136
Share: